• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Google Description Problem

If you do a search on google I am on the first page, today anyway. But I have a problem. If you look at the listing (7th from the top)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=A...rum&btnG=Search

This is what it looks like

Antique Candelabrum | French Candle Holder - Antique Decor ...

... Terms Of Sale. Customer Service. Antique Candelabra Antique French Candelabra, An absolutely gorgeous Antique Candelabra, 19c. ...

oldworldcharms.net/antique-candelabra-p-221.html

First I have no clue where Antique Decor is coming from? Any idea's?

If you take a look at my site you will see a box under the images with ... Terms Of Sale. Customer Service

then it goes on to the description

my question is why is the terms of service part of the google description?

since this is going to be on each item page would it be a good idea to make a js file and insert a script there? any other suggestions to get google to use my description instead of the terms of service?

any advice or suggestions are appreciated

Thanks

Elizabeth

Your listing isn't showing up when I do a google search so I can't find out what your site is. Google builds the descriptions from the page though so that term should be in there somewhere. View the source of the page with your browser and then search it for that term.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Id suggest you look at installing a header tag contrib which should fix the google description problem.

If you look for your own specific site name in google it will always be on the first page as long as its not something generic like flowers or something. Its getting your products in your shop appearing on that first page that counts.

Good luck!

Hi,Hi,

I almost forgot here is another usefull search engine simulator Chemo's osC Search Engine Spider B)

Edited by toyicebear

hello

thanks for your replies. I didnt do a search for my own site I did a search for Antique Candelabrum and it is the 7th down. the webpage it found is http://oldworldcharms.net/antique-candelabra-p-221.html

I have the header tag controller contribution installed so maybe that isnt working correctly.

The first part of the description is coming from the text (html) under the pictures. I don't want that in the googles description. then the rest of the google description picks up the item description which is what I want. So to get rid of the

... Terms Of Sale. Customer Service.

Do I have to remove it, should I use js to insert this info? any suggestions on what I should do?

thanks

hello

thanks for your replies. I didnt do a search for my own site I did a search for Antique Candelabrum and it is the 7th down. the webpage it found is http://oldworldcharms.net/antique-candelabra-p-221.html

I have the header tag controller contribution installed so maybe that isnt working correctly.

The first part of the description is coming from the text (html) under the pictures. I don't want that in the googles description. then the rest of the google description picks up the item description which is what I want. So to get rid of the

... Terms Of Sale. Customer Service.

Do I have to remove it, should I use js to insert this info? any suggestions on what I should do?

thanks

yeah i would use a js insert to do it, that way the users see it but the spiders don't...

Richard Lindsey