• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Dangling Carrot (Free Gift/Discount Contrib)

thejungle

The Version 2.6a works much better than 2.5 BUT:

Same problem as other users like "simplyclesha" had:

If you click to "add to cart" the gift is not added to the cart -

instead the user is forwarded to the product info page -

and there is no "add to cart" button...

No Fix - for that problem ?

There should be users where the contrib works fine ...?!

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Version 2.6a works much better than 2.5 BUT:

Same problem as other users like "simplyclesha" had:

If you click to "add to cart" the gift is not added to the cart -

instead the user is forwarded to the product info page -

and there is no "add to cart" button...

No Fix - for that problem ?

There should be users where the contrib works fine ...?!

I noticed this is only when the gift has attributes to choose from. When the gift has NO attributes it wil go in the cart.

My problem is also that it displayed the normal price and added this price to the total. You can hardly call that a gift huh. It can also be caused by the TOTALB2B contribution that is on my site and makes Dangling Carrot hard to install

I did a fresh install over a fresh OSC install on my local server.

There are a few bugs:

1. If Gift has attributes is goes to the product_info page so you can choose options but there is NO in cart Button.
  2. When a gift has NO attributes the gift goes in the cart but calculates the normal price and ads it to the TOTALS

Somebody solved this?

Hi all

Sounds like a great contrib - few probs tho!

Like Noutje I'm using 2.6a

The products I use as gifts are also products in my catalog therefore have a value - when selected as a gift it is added to the cart and the customer charged the full amount.

In the free gifts box how do you enable it to display a random free gift? I know the code I need to edit but I'm not great with PHP - I tried but couldn't get it to work.

What code would I need to make a Free Gift page - one that will display like the specials page but without add to cart.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Noutje - on my site when a gift has options there is an add to cart button.

all you have to do is select the product as a carrot in the admin's product's page, and then go into specials, and add the product, giving it a new special price value of 0 (zero).

That way it cannot be added to the cart as a regular product, and it will also appear on your specials page, giving you more pages with that product.

You can also make a gift box, and place it on the left/right page. Just take one of your current boxes, and change its database values to the gift ones, add it your column_right.php or column_left.php and there you go.

Hi all

Sounds like a great contrib - few probs tho!

Like Noutje I'm using 2.6a

The products I use as gifts are also products in my catalog therefore have a value - when selected as a gift it is added to the cart and the customer charged the full amount.

In the free gifts box how do you enable it to display a random free gift? I know the code I need to edit but I'm not great with PHP - I tried but couldn't get it to work.

What code would I need to make a Free Gift page - one that will display like the specials page but without add to cart.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Noutje - on my site when a gift has options there is an add to cart button.

I have a particular prob with the dangling carrot contribution.

The free gifts I offer in my shop are downloads and in osC downloads are to be configured as an attribute.

The final result of this is that the download-box doesn't show on the chechout_success page, as the attribute normally has to be assigned by the user.

In other words, I would need to have the download-attribute assigned automatically to the gift.

There is no other products as downloads, only the gifts.

There is no other attributes for other products.

So I would have no problem with a somewhat unorthodox solution.

Would anyone know a fix/workaround?

Problems? No, only solutions!

• 2 weeks later...

I installed Dangling Carrot Version 2.6 and merged it in a Creloaded 6.2 store with the BTS template system.

Everything works OK but the product does not go to the cart when clicking the button_add_now.

This is the part making problems:

if ($gift['products_id'] != $gift_exists && $deficit <= 0) { // this particular gift is not in cart but qualifies
	$freebie[$p]['message'] .= sprintf(TEXT_QUALIFIED_FOR_GIFT, $currencies->display_price($gift['threshold'],tep_get_tax_rate($gift['products_tax_class_id'])));
$freebie[$p]['link'] = '<a href="' . tep_href_link(basename($PHP_SELF), tep_get_all_get_params(array('action')) . 'action=buy_now&products_id=' . $gift['products_id']) . '">' . tep_image_button('button_add_now.gif', 'Select ' . $gift['products_id'] ) . '</a>';
	$freebie[$p]['name']			= $gift['products_name'];
	$freebie[$p]['id']			  = $gift['products_id'];
	$freebie[$p]['image']   		= $gift['products_image'];
	$p++;

When i point the button_add_now image i can read the URL http>//www.mysite.com/shopping_cart.php?action=buy_now&product_id=2233 so that must be OK

But when i click it the item does not go to the cart.

I treid to replace this code:

$freebie[$p]['message'] .= sprintf(TEXT_QUALIFIED_FOR_GIFT, $currencies->display_price($gift['threshold'],tep_get_tax_rate($gift['products_tax_class_id'])));
$freebie[$p]['link'] = '<<a href="' . tep_href_link(basename($PHP_SELF), tep_get_all_get_params(array('action')) . 'action=buy_now&products_id=' . $gift['products_id']) . '">' . tep_image_button('button_add_now.gif', 'Select ' . $gift['products_id'] ) . '</a>';
$freebie[$p]['name'] = $gift['products_name'];
$freebie[$p]['id'] = $gift['products_id'];
$freebie[$p]['image'] = $gift['products_image'];
$p++;

With this:

if (!$cart->in_cart($gift['products_id'])) $cart->add_cart($gift['products_id']);

And this adds the gift automatically to the cart and this one works.

Because i want to create multiple gifts to choose from and then its better when it is added by clicking the button_add_now

Anyone with BTS experience got a clue why the code on top is not working??

HI,

I am about to install Dangling Carrot. It sounds like a terrific contribution, and thank you to the author and everyone who has contributed. I do have one concern before I install it, and I was hoping someone could answer for me. I searched the topic, but coud not find the answer.

When adding the free product, does the weight of the item get added to the total for shipping calculation? In Canada, an small increase in weight can lead to a large increase in shipping cost. Sadly.

If someone could answer, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you

Rob

• 3 weeks later...
I have a particular prob with the dangling carrot contribution.

The free gifts I offer in my shop are downloads and in osC downloads are to be configured as an attribute.

The final result of this is that the download-box doesn't show on the chechout_success page, as the attribute normally has to be assigned by the user.

In other words, I would need to have the download-attribute assigned automatically to the gift.

There is no other products as downloads, only the gifts.

There is no other attributes for other products.

So I would have no problem with a somewhat unorthodox solution.

Would anyone know a fix/workaround?

I am having the same problem... I'm currently trying to work on this but I have a lack in some aspects of the programming. Any help would be appreciated.

To all who have trouble hiding the Dangling Carrot Gift-items from the product listing, IT'S VERY EASY : just place the gifts in the "TOP" of the catalog, so not in a category, and they WILL NOT SHOW, no need to set them out of stock or inactive, no need either to mod the code. :thumbsup:

Of course this doesn't apply to those who don't have categories. :rolleyes:

It appears that I'm not the only one who has this problem: when the gift are set on AUTO-ADD, MULTIPLE GIFTS will be added to the cart. I'd like ONLY ONE GIFT to be auto-added, whenever a new threshold is reached.

Anybody found the magic solution yet?

If so, please post it here, you might even send me a PM while you're at it :rolleyes:

I can't see a problem with the admin section. Do you get any kind of indication at all when you try to edit/delete an gift. Also, I assume you are speaking about when you try to do this in admin->catalog->Gifts. Is that correct?

Jack

Hi Jack,

This problem was resolved some time ago, and i can't honestly remember what I did to fix it. I either installed a later version or found something on one of the discussion boards. Sorry that I can't give any more info (but thanks for taking the time). Thankfully the dangling carrots are working very successfully on my site - I am sure this contrib has helped with sales :D

- Reb

Yep, it fixes it just fine!

Thanks a heap :thumbsup:

OK...I seem to have fixed the issue. For the instructions pertaining to the changes in catalog/shopping_cart.php around line 228:

Find:

//<!--BOF dangling carrot v2.0--> 

if ($products[$i]['carrot'] == "1"){
			 $info_box_contents[$cur_row][] = array('align' => 'center',
		   									'params' => 'class="productListing-data" valign="top"',
											'text' => $products[$i]['quantity']. tep_draw_hidden_field('products_id[]', $products[$i]['id']));
}

and Change to:

if ($products[$i]['carrot'] == "1"){
			 $info_box_contents[$cur_row][] = array('align' => 'center',
		   									'params' => 'class="productListing-data" valign="top"',
											'text' => $products[$i]['quantity'] . 

tep_draw_hidden_field('cart_quantity[]', $products[$i]['quantity']) . tep_draw_hidden_field('products_id[]', 

$products[$i]['id']));
}

Notice the 2 tep_draw_hidden_field calls in the new version.

If someone can test the full functionality of the shopping cart and post back on this thread, we can then release a new version with this fix.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

i just ' installed ' this contribution, but i have a very stupid question :'(

how can i add gifts? the contribution is correctly installed.

i see 'free gifts' in admin>catalog menu.

and there is a link to categories. and then?

i have read the whole forum but could not find how to add gifts.

i hope someone could tell me how i can get this to work.

thanx,

I am sorry, i have fount out how to add gifts.

but now i have another problem.

On the website, if select a product, to some more information. ( product_info.php i think) i get a weard error:

error is:

1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'p.products_carrot, select p.products_id, pd.products_name, pd.p

p.products_carrot, select p.products_id, pd.products_name, pd.products_description, p.products_model, p.products_quantity, p.products_image, pd.products_url, p.products_price, p.products_tax_class_id, p.products_date_added, p.products_date_available, p.manufacturers_id from products p, products_description pd where p.products_status = '1' and p.products_id = '199' and pd.products_id = p.products_id and pd.language_id = '4'

[TEP STOP]

is the problem in the SQL file or somewhere else?

thanQ

Does anyone know how i can remove the image link from for the free gift on the shopping cart ?

not when it's in the cart , but when it's being offered ..ie spend another x pounds and get....

the image is a link , i'd like to remove the link and just show the image and message.

Where can i set the threshold at which the "dangling Carrot" message gets displayed ?

ie spend another x amount and get this free ....

Does anyone know how to exclude the free gift from the dynamic site map contrib ? it shows in the product list , even though it is not placed in a catoagory.

Related to the above problem , i cannot set the free gift product to "out of stock" or inactive , if i do the gift doesn't get added to the shopping cart and will not show at all.

I've checked all through this thread and the fixes posted dont work.

My gift product is outside of any catagories

it's model name is gift

it has a stock qty

it has a price of 0

Finally , does anyone know how to remove the link from the image in the shopping cart view when the gift is being offered carrot style.....ie ...spend another x amount and get this free ....the image is a link , i need to remove it as i have problems removing the buy now buttons , my site shows out of stock buttons , which looks a bit odd if someone wants a free gift , clicks the link and it says..out of stock. So i thoiught best to remove it all together......never look a gift horse in the mouth :D

any help appreciated with these few problems ...

Edited by andytc

Hello - I'm hoping that this contrib can do what I'm looking for but I'm not sure so figured I would ask before going through the backup and install process :blush:

We have various "package deals" and what I would like to do is, if someone has a product that is included in a package deal in their cart, give them a message that they can purchase the package and receive that product along with another product at a discount.

Example

Product A = $10.00

Product B = $10.00

Product C = $10.00

Package A (Products A, B & C together) = $25.00

So if Product B were added to the shopping cart the customer would get a message letting them know that Product B is also available as part of Package A.

Is that something this contribution can do?

~Tracy

1 More question :blush:

The other thing I need to figure out how to do is :

Product D = $3.00

Product E = $10.00

Product F = $10.00

Product G = $10.00

If the customer purchases Product E, F or G (individually or any combination thereof) and Product D is in their cart already or they add Product D to their cart after adding one of the other products, then Product D's price changes to $0.00

I don't want to just automatically give them Product D if they don't ask for it though.

Will Dangling Carrot do this?

~Tracy

Has anyone installed this on a heavily moded site?

Their doesn’t seem to be many people replying to peoples help questions, so was just wondering if its worth installing at this stage.

Knowing me, i will probably encounter some form of problem as i do not fully understand the install instructions.

Excellent. this mod is installed and works perfectly.

However I do have a couple of questions.

Firstly I didn’t realize you had to duplicate a product if you wanted to still have that product in your shop as a full price item.

Secondly in latest version it states the following:

- Added configurable text in place of price on product info page for carrots.

e.g. "Free with a $50 purchase"

or "Only $9.99 with a $30 purchase"

I cant see nay configurable text in the product info page, just a button that says - Product is carrot, with a tick box.

Am i missing something here?