• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Basics for design

toyicebear

Congarts..your siyte is comming along very nicely... :thumbsup:

1. infobox corners you can find in the /images folder , they are placed in individual folders with the name of the different infoboxes.

There are 3 relevant .gif in each folder.

corner_left.gif

corner_right.gif

corner_right_left

they are 11x14px in size

Make 3 new transparent .gifs with the same names.

Now upload the 3 new gifs, overwriting the existing ones in every /images/infobox folder.

Done.....

2. top and bottom lines, are in the stylesheet...

top..

TR.headerNavigation {
/*  background: #bbc3d3; removed for ISM */
}

TD.headerNavigation {
 font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif;
 font-size: 10px;
 color: #ffffff;
 font-weight : bold;
}

bottom:

TR.footer {
}

TD.footer {
 font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif;
 font-size: 10px;
/*	background: #bbc3d3; removed for ISM */
 color: #ffffff;
 font-weight: bold;
}

3. banner in footer...

change this in footer.php:

<table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
 <tr>
   <td align="center" class="smallText">
Copyright © 2003 <a href="http://www.oscommerce.com" target="_blank">osCommerce</a><br>Powered by <a href="http://www.oscommerce.com" target="_blank">osCommerce</a>    </td>
 </tr>
</table>
<br>
 <tr>
   <td align="center"><a href="http://www.dentsdelion.com/Sales/redirect.php?action=banner&goto=4" target="_blank"><object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=7,0,0,0" width="700" height="100" id="Banni?re_700x100" align="middle">
<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" />
<param name="movie" value="images/banners/dentsdelion_big.swf" />
<param name="quality" value="high" />
<param name="wmode" value="transparent">
<embed src="images/banners/dentsdelion_big.swf" quality="high" wmode="transparent" width="700" height="100" name="Banni?re_700x100" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" /></embed></object>
</a></td>
 </tr>
</table>

To this:

<tr>
   <td align="center"><a href="http://www.dentsdelion.com/Sales/redirect.php?action=banner&goto=4" target="_blank"><object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=7,0,0,0" width="700" height="100" id="Banni?re_700x100" align="middle">
<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" />
<param name="movie" value="images/banners/dentsdelion_big.swf" />
<param name="quality" value="high" />
<param name="wmode" value="transparent">
<embed src="images/banners/dentsdelion_big.swf" quality="high" wmode="transparent" width="700" height="100" name="Banni?re_700x100" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" /></embed></object>
</a></td>
 </tr>
</table>
<br>
 <tr>
Copyright © 2003 <a href="http://www.oscommerce.com" target="_blank">osCommerce</a><br>Powered by <a href="http://www.oscommerce.com" target="_blank">osCommerce</a>    </td>
 </tr>
</table>

Cheers... B)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thank you all for yopur contribution. I am getting somewhere!

Thanx for the advice to reduce pic size, I will certainly do that once I have solved the template problem.

Now my site looks like this and it is almost 1 AM here in Tokyo so I will quit for today.

My next problem will be how do get rid of those little corners on top of each box (I am not sure what is their purpose)

Then, where can I change the color of the top and bottom big red burgundy lines?

And finaly, how could I put the OScommerce copyright message bellow my bottom banner?

I know that is a lot to ask!

See ya tomorrow! :lol:

Haru.

If you have significantly modified your site you may replace it with your own copyright info. Just don't remove the copyright info from the admin terminal

Hello,

I tried both of the border contributions that are in this thread. Though I appreciate the work that the members put in on them, I didn't care for how either of them operated or appeared. I am going to create my store with just using the graphics in my infopheaders for now, and I will install a test version of osc and run a crash course with making some serious enhancements later on. (Once I figure out how everything works, I will be able to modify this program the same way I modify my vBulletin boards.)

haru,

Not sure if I caught your site on an off moment or not, but your home page was loading extremely slow. I am on a DSL connection, and it was slow for me. So slow, I didn't bother waiting for it. You may want to look into that if it is a regular occurence. If the site loads too slow, people will leave. In this day and age, we have no patience. lol

Hello,

I am driving myself crazy. I am using the infoboxheaderscategories modification to include my graphics to the header of each block. I went through every "box' and made the changes. Now I have the center block that says "New Products for April, as well as a news block that I can't locate anywhere. I know I am over looking the call to the css for those 2. Could someone lead me to the correct location? lol

Hello,

I am driving myself crazy. I am using the infoboxheaderscategories modification to include my graphics to the header of each block. I went through every "box' and made the changes. Now I have the center block that says "New Products for April, as well as a news block that I can't locate anywhere. I know I am over looking the call to the css for those 2. Could someone lead me to the correct location? lol

Post your web site address , then it would be easier to check and give you feedback....

Hi,

I have the following question, my cart is installed in the root of the website, but in my breadcrumb I still have the link to go to the catalog, I would like to remove this link, can you tell me how to do this, and also how can I remove the -> in the categories, because I put the option for count products in categorie out.

Thanks,

Denice

Hi,

I have the following question, my cart is installed in the root of the website, but in my breadcrumb I still have the link to go to the catalog, I would like to remove this link, can you tell me how to do this, and also how can I remove the -> in the categories, because I put the option for count products in categorie out.

Thanks,

Denice

To get a nicer categories box....choose one of these to contributions...

1. Greate Categories

2. Category Box Enhancement

You can change the breadcrumb in includes/application_top.php

change:

// include the breadcrumb class and start the breadcrumb trail
?require(DIR_WS_CLASSES . 'breadcrumb.php');
?$breadcrumb = new breadcrumb;

?$breadcrumb->add(HEADER_TITLE_TOP, HTTP_SERVER);
?$breadcrumb->add(HEADER_TITLE_CATALOG, tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT));

To:

?require(DIR_WS_CLASSES . 'breadcrumb.php');
?$breadcrumb = new breadcrumb;

?$breadcrumb->add(HEADER_TITLE_TOP, HTTP_SERVER);
?//$breadcrumb->add(HEADER_TITLE_CATALOG, tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT));

To get a nicer categories box....choose one of these to contributions...

1. Greate Categories

2. Category Box Enhancement

You can change the breadcrumb in  includes/application_top.php

change:

require(DIR_WS_CLASSES . 'breadcrumb.php');
 $breadcrumb = new breadcrumb;

$breadcrumb->add(HEADER_TITLE_TOP, HTTP_SERVER);
 $breadcrumb->add(HEADER_TITLE_CATALOG, tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT));

To:

require(DIR_WS_CLASSES . 'breadcrumb.php');
 $breadcrumb = new breadcrumb;

$breadcrumb->add(HEADER_TITLE_TOP, HTTP_SERVER);
 //$breadcrumb->add(HEADER_TITLE_CATALOG, tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT));

Thanks, I did what you said about the breadcrumb, now I'm going to look to the contrib you mentioned

Thank you Nick.

I got 2 out of three.

But my Catalog/includes/footer.php code is quite different from the one you are showing (where did you get it?)

Here it is:

<?php

/*

$Id: footer.php,v 1.26 2003/02/10 22:30:54 hpdl Exp $

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions

http://www.oscommerce.com

Copyright © 2003 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License

*/

require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'counter.php');

?>

<table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="1">

<tr class="footer">

<td class="footer">  <?php echo strftime(DATE_FORMAT_LONG); ?>  </td>

<td align="right" class="footer">  <?php echo $counter_now . ' ' . FOOTER_TEXT_REQUESTS_SINCE . ' ' . $counter_startdate_formatted; ?>  </td>

</tr>

</table>

<br>

<tr>

<?php

/*

The following copyright announcement can only be

appropriately modified or removed if the layout of

the site theme has been modified to distinguish

itself from the default osCommerce-copyrighted

theme.

For more information please read the following

Frequently Asked Questions entry on the osCommerce

support site:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community.php/faq,26/q,50

Please leave this comment intact together with the

following copyright announcement.

*/

echo FOOTER_TEXT_BODY

?>

</td>

</tr>

</table>

<?php

if ($banner = tep_banner_exists('dynamic', '468x50')) {

?>

<br>

<tr>

<td align="center"><?php echo tep_display_banner('static', $banner); ?></td>

</tr>

</table>

<?php

}

?>

<?php

///////////////////

// [0001] WebMakers.com Added: Center Shop

// This goes at the very end of the footer after all the tables

///////////////////

if ( CENTER_SHOP_ON == 'on' ) {

///////////////////

// [0001] close table used to center

///////////////////

?>

</td></tr>

</table>

<?php

if ( CENTER_SHOP_BACKGROUND_ON == 'on' ) {

///////////////////

// [0001] Add color to bottom of screen for large displays - needed especially on notebooks that run at 1600x1200

// close table used for outer bgcolor around the shop

///////////////////

?>

</td></tr>

<tr><td height="150"> </td></tr>

</table>

<?php

}

}

///////////////////

// [0001] EOF: WebMakers.com Added: Center Shop

///////////////////

///////////////////

?>

Thank you for your help, I had some trouble to make transparent gif (I have never quite understood gif stuff anyway), But I managed to do it.

Haru. :)

The previous snip was from the html source of your web page...

Change this in your footer:

<br>
 <tr>
<?php
/*
 theme.

support site:

*/

echo FOOTER_TEXT_BODY
?>
   </td>
 </tr>
</table>
<?php
?>
<br>
 <tr>
 </tr>
</table>
<?php
 }
?>

To this:

<?php
?>
<br>
 <tr>
 </tr>
</table>
<br>
 <tr>
<?php
/*
 theme.

support site:

*/

echo FOOTER_TEXT_BODY
?>
   </td>
 </tr>
</table>
<?php
 }
?>

Hello,

I would post the link if the site were up. I am still getting all kinks worked out in my nonproductive state.

I need to know where the main page block, the "New products For (Month) is calling on the TD.infoBoxHeading so I can change that too TD.infoBoxHeadingCategories. I just can't find it. lol

Hello,

I would post the link if the site were up. I am still getting all kinks worked out in my nonproductive state.

I need to know where the main page block, the "New products For (Month) is calling on the TD.infoBoxHeading so I can change that too TD.infoBoxHeadingCategories. I just can't find it. lol

Correction!! I am looking for where it says: new infoBoxHeading , not the TD. found in the stylesheet.

Correction!! I am looking for where it says: new infoBoxHeading , not the TD. found in the stylesheet.

I ended up just adding my image to the TD.infoBoxHeading in the stylesheet. I had already removed the corners. (Well made them transparent.) This has worked for what I needed done.

Thank you Nick, it worked fine. :thumbsup:

Someone said my site takes long to upload, and I noticed it too, but not all the time.

Could it come from an error in the coding, and is there a way to find out?

Thanx again.

Haru

Thank you Nick, it worked fine. :thumbsup:

Someone said my site takes long to upload, and I noticed it too, but not all the time.

Could it come from an error in the coding, and is there a way to find out?

Thanx again.

Haru

Hi,

Well last time i did visite your site i did notice that your pictures where slowing you down....

You should install a thumbnails contribution or a contribution which lets you upload small, medium and big pictures for each product.

you could use one of these 4...

Ultra Pics

Small, Med and large pictures

Automatic Thumbnails

'On the Fly' Auto Thumbnailer using GD Library

B)

Hello,

For those of you that have not figured this out, I am new to OSC. lol I have yet another question.

What I want to do is convert the "New Products For April" box. I don't want to used for the new products. If I have to, I will remove it completely. I don't like how it looks.

I would like to be able to use it for my own content though. Perhaps information, a welcome message, I am not sure. Is there a way to make that box NOT call the new products, but still allow me to add text and images in it?

I am sure this has been asked before, but a search on the site did not pull up any relevant information. If that isn't possible, how can I add a NEW block to the CENTER of the page?

I capped those because I have chatted with 2 people regarding this. They BOTH told me to try adding boxes to the left and right columns via the contribution. I know how to add boxes to the sides. I have used that contrib. I don't want any more blocks on the side, I want it in the center above that ""New Products For April" box. Is there a thread for explaining how todo this. I ran several searches using several didffernet terms and it didn't show up.

Thanks in advance.

Thank you Nick. I was actually thinking to install a contrib to have more pic. But the one that I downloaded require quite ea lot of modification (editing) of php file.

Any good contrib that do not require editing?

Haru.

Thank you Nick. I was actually thinking to install a contrib to have more pic. But the one that I downloaded require quite ea lot of modification (editing) of php file.

Any good contrib that do not require editing?

Haru.

Hi,

The ultra pics contrib is a great one, if you take the time to integrate it into your shop.

but you can also use this one, its an easy and manual way of adding extra pictures without changing osc files.

Happi Multi Pix

But remember you still should do someting about your picture size, now all your pictures are over 50kb in size each giving you a very slow load time on everypage showing many thumbnails like the front page and the category pages.

Hello,

For those of you that have not figured this out, I am new to OSC. lol I have yet another question.

What I want to do is convert the "New Products For April" box. I don't want to used for the new products. If I have to, I will remove it completely. I don't like how it looks.

I would like to be able to use it for my own content though. Perhaps information, a welcome message, I am not sure. Is there a way to make that box NOT call the new products, but still allow me to add text and images in it?

I am sure this has been asked before, but a search on the site did not pull up any relevant information. If that isn't possible, how can I add a NEW block to the CENTER of the page?

I capped those because I have chatted with 2 people regarding this. They BOTH told me to try adding boxes to the left and right columns via the contribution. I know how to add boxes to the sides. I have used that contrib. I don't want any more blocks on the side, I want it in the center above that ""New Products For April" box. Is there a thread for explaining how todo this. I ran several searches using several didffernet terms and it didn't show up.

Thanks in advance.

You can easily make a new center box to replace the new products, a box in the center is quite simular to a side box.

But what do you wat to show on your front page spesifically?

You can easily make a new center box to replace the new products, a box in the center is quite simular to a side box.

But what do you wat to show on your front page spesifically?

Hello,

I haven't determined what I will be displaying. I was thinking that I may add a welcome block. I was also thinking that it would be nice to add a login box to the center perhaps. (So I can get rid of the writing that says "welcome guest, login or register...blah blah..."

Thanx again Nick. I followed your advice: I installed the Ultra Pic contrib. Works good.

I have deleted any image file biger than 250 and most of the file are 1500 or less. Still, the page takes quite a while to upload... and I am on DSL

Haru.

it may not be just the images taking awhile, if you are on a shared server with lots of heavy traffic, you could be in for it taking forever

Does it load fine for you Here?

Haru

Hi Haru,

Nice to see you use the ultra pics contrib.....it looks great in your product pages.....

One point though, you have to make differnt size versions of your pictures before you upload them to your site.

1. thumb size (Small no more than 5 kb a picture)

2. product picture size (Medium try to keep it under 50 kb)

3. pop up size (Large try to keep it under 150 kb)

Greate and free software for bulk picture resizing Easy Thumbnails

B)

Hello,

I haven't determined what I will be displaying. I was thinking that I may add a welcome block. I was also thinking that it would be nice to add a login box to the center perhaps. (So I can get rid of the writing that says "welcome guest, login or register...blah blah..."

Some great front page mods......

Define Mainpage

Wolfen Featured Sets

Star Product

Index Ads

Banner as default page title

:lol: :rolleyes: :lol:

Archived