• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Basics for design

toyicebear

Hi there. I tried to do this and realised I couldnt access the web server like you suggested so I went about dleting what I had added. Now my dilema is this, My information box on my website has gone. I have no idea what has happened. I just deleted what I had added. Didnt change anything else. Your help on this would be greatly appreciated. I love your info too. Always very informative and helpful.

My website is This is an ADULT SITE!!!!! Just so you know.

Thanks heaps.

Lisa.

Check the code again , if you deleted just one character to many or just left one you should not have left you get errors.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi - very quick question - hope the answer is too!

Like so many am totally new to this, and after a couple of days of struggling have found this supremely helpful.

Have discovered that a lot of the stuff is not where it claims it is - for example no oscommerce.gif, it now seems to be a png!

Anyway have got past the putting my own logo on hurdle, and progressed to the removing default gifs. Have downloaded the recommended contribution, but I do not have a "catalog" folder.

Do I just upload the new folder to the min images directory or is it the images folder in the "includes" folder?

Thanks

Joe

Some changes have happened in the newer versions of oscommerce, so there will be some minor differences.

Not all installs have a /catalog/ folder , some removes it and place the shop in the root / , some renames the folder to something like /osc/ , /shop/ , /store/ whatever....

The catalog folder should then just be taken as the main folder where all the shop files resides in in your particular case.

Check the code again , if you deleted just one character to many or just left one you should not have left you get errors.

Hi Nick, thanks for getting back so quick. I have looked and checked a hundred times over and to my eye, I cannot find anything. would you mind if i posted the files her for you to check?

Lisa.xx

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum but have been looking at this to fix up some of my problems. However, one of my problems I can't seem to find a fix. What should be a simple thing in removing the OsCommerce text from the bottom of my footer is giving me headaches. I've tried looking in the footer.php file (I don't have one however in the default template I'm using) and I've also searched in the index.php files. I don't have an english.php file either so I'm really struggling to find where to look.

Any advice as to where I could find this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sally

the footer file is not in the same folder as the index.php file

its one level down in a folder called /includes/

Hi,

Thanks for the advice...Looked under the /includes/ folder but all I had was the following:

<?php

/*

$Id: footer.php,v 1.1.1.1 2004/03/04 23:40:38 ccwjr Exp $

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions

http://www.oscommerce.com

Copyright © 2003 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License

*/

//You will need to edit this file In the /templates/(template name)/

//If it is used by the template you are using>

?>

Is there anywhere else it could be hiding??

I worked it out. There was another area hidden and it was in the english.php file!!!! Thanks for the tips - will be looking out for more!

Thanks! :thumbsup:

The look of osCommerce is fairly easy to change...it usually only requires the change of no more than 5 files..

1. includes/header.php

2. includes/footer.php

3. includes/left_column.php

4. includes/right_column.php

5. Stylesheet.css

Have fun... B)

Hi Nick :D

I have a few questions I hope you can help with: :blink:

when I add a product to cart, the box that appears titled 'What's in my Cart?' is still white in it's background colour whereas I have changed most all other boxes to black background, how to I change background colour of this box?, can not identify in stylesheet?

on same page :o

the buttons: Update, Continue Shopping, Checkout are all fine yet these buttons have rounded corners and as my background is black are showing white portions in corners just behind the buttons, is it possible to change? if so where would I make these portions black also?

hey thanks again in advance :thumbsup:

regards Stephen :D

Hi Nick :D

I have a few questions I hope you can help with: :blink:

when I add a product to cart, the box that appears titled 'What's in my Cart?' is still white in it's background colour whereas I have changed most all other boxes to black background, how to I change background colour of this box?, can not identify in stylesheet?

on same page :o

the buttons: Update, Continue Shopping, Checkout are all fine yet these buttons have rounded corners and as my background is black are showing white portions in corners just behind the buttons, is it possible to change? if so where would I make these portions black also?

hey thanks again in advance :thumbsup:

regards Stephen :D

The shopping cart page and product listings have the same stylesheet classes...

Relevant classes are:

TR.accountHistory-odd, TR.addressBook-odd, TR.alsoPurchased-odd, TR.payment-odd, TR.productListing-odd, TR.productReviews-odd, TR.upcomingProducts-odd, TR.shippingOptions-odd {

background: #f8f8f9;

}

TR.accountHistory-even, TR.addressBook-even, TR.alsoPurchased-even, TR.payment-even, TR.productListing-even, TR.productReviews-even, TR.upcomingProducts-even, TR.shippingOptions-even {

background: #f8f8f9;

}

TABLE.productListing {

border: 1px;

border-style: solid;

border-color: #b6b7cb;

border-spacing: 1px;

}

.productListing-heading {

font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif;

font-size: 10px;

background: #b6b7cb;

color: #FFFFFF;

font-weight: bold;

}

TD.productListing-data {

font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif;

font-size: 10px;

}

Just change and use another button set....you can find many alternatives here...

• 1 month later...

Start reading this topic from the first page and the first post and you will see/learn how to do such changes. If you can not learn how to do it yourself, i suggest you hire someone to do it for you.

• 1 month later...

The look of osCommerce is fairly easy to change...it usually only requires the change of no more than 5 files..

1. includes/header.php

2. includes/footer.php

3. includes/left_column.php

4. includes/right_column.php

5. Stylesheet.css

Have fun... B)

Hi toyicebear.

Thanks for your post - I have a question for you.. the 'left_column.php' - does that refer to the very left hand side of the site where all the categories are listed? Because this is an area of my site which I'd like to change - I want to change the background colour of it and the size & boldness of the category text. Is left_column.php the place to do it? And do you know of any other resources which will take me through this process?

Thanks so much. :)

x

• 2 weeks later...

Well..its a general replay..

Since a lot of new users dont know where to start.....

:thumbsup:

And if someone have some particulars, they want to ask..please feel free....

Hi im completely new to this and im was entering in product descrition.Im trying to figure out how to put features under my description,without it all becoming one big paragraph.PLEASE need help. Thanx

If you want things formatted in your descriptions you have to embed HTML.<br>
<br>
It's just like a mini web page.<br>
<br>
There are addons you can install that can assist.<br>
<br>
I haven't tried any of them.

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Nick

I've almost finished my store design, yet have encountered a styling issue and am hoping you can help.

The Shipping method and payment method boxes that appear during the checkout process are coloured white in my store, as is the text within, so wish to change the text colour, could you please point me towards the right file to change the appropriate text.

thanks!! :D

Hi Nick

I've almost finished my store design, yet have encountered a styling issue and am hoping you can help.

The Shipping method and payment method boxes that appear during the checkout process are coloured white in my store, as is the text within, so wish to change the text colour, could you please point me towards the right file to change the appropriate text.

thanks!! :D

Those are "colored" by the infobox classes in stylesheet.css

wowow thanks for this!! my website was designed by a developer who used a Free oscommmerce Web Templates!! and I have been trying to add some contribution but I can´t finger out. I guess by follow the opsCommerce Documentation and this topic. I will be able to set everything up my self again in the right way.

Those are "colored" by the infobox classes in stylesheet.css

Cheeked stylesheet, perhaps I sounded too intelligent in my question :blush: can't find anything to do with infobox 'classes', I have since enabled another shipping method, the text appears white which is fine if I can re-colour the bar that hovers and the selected bar once shipping method is clicked (currently selected bar looks off-white and the bar that hovers pale grayish),

Cheeked stylesheet, perhaps I sounded too intelligent in my question :blush: can't find anything to do with infobox 'classes', I have since enabled another shipping method, the text appears white which is fine if I can re-colour the bar that hovers and the selected bar once shipping method is clicked (currently selected bar looks off-white and the bar that hovers pale grayish),

It's Ok...I found it:

excerpt from styleshett.css:

.moduleRow { }

.moduleRowOver { background-color: #D7E9F7; cursor: pointer; cursor: hand; }

.moduleRowSelected { background-color: #E9F4FC; }

changing these two colours does the blissness.... :D

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Does someone know [in v2.3.1] how to put the background image in the left and right sides of the site ONLY?

I could do it in the older versions adding in CSS

body {

background-image: url(/images/background.gif);

}

but now the image is in the background of the entire site (between info boxes columns, gaps between main logo and boxes etc.)

I was thinking to cover the sides with <div>s maybe but I'm not sure about that..

Does someone know [in v2.3.1] how to put the background image in the left and right sides of the site ONLY?

You need to add a color (or image) to #bodywrapper. Also read here about this

See illustrated example on my blog (link in my profile)

Since there has been some major changes in relation to how design is done in the new versions 2.3 and 2.31 , i have added a new topic for those who uses these versions here...

Archived