• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Basics for design

toyicebear

The look of osCommerce is fairly easy to change...it usually only requires the change of no more than 5 files..

1. includes/header.php

2. includes/footer.php

3. includes/left_column.php

4. includes/right_column.php

5. Stylesheet.css

Have fun... B)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Nick

The info looks like it just be what I want

my HUGE problem is that I am struggling to find the files on my server and in particular the catalog file/folder or whetever it really is...I have just downloaded filezilla and I can see stuff in my cpanel BUT no /catalog. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

Hello Nick

The info looks like it just be what I want

my HUGE problem is that I am struggling to find the files on my server and in particular the catalog file/folder or whetever it really is...I have just downloaded filezilla and I can see stuff in my cpanel BUT no /catalog. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

Only some shops use /catalog/ , some use just / or /shop/ or /store/

What yours is using you can see simply by looking at your stores url.

If its just / after the domain name then its in the root of your hosting which usually would be a folder called www or public_html

If its in /shop/ then its in a sub folder caled /shop/ inside the www or alternatively public_html folder

and so on

Only some shops use /catalog/ , some use just / or /shop/ or /store/

What yours is using you can see simply by looking at your stores url.

If its just / after the domain name then its in the root of your hosting which usually would be a folder called www or public_html

If its in /shop/ then its in a sub folder caled /shop/ inside the www or alternatively public_html folder

and so on

Hi Nick thanks for this information, what I do is put my website in www.ktllogistics.co.uk then username and then password.

Left hand pane shows whats on my pc and the right hand pane shows the folders on my server there is public_html. am I right in thinking this is the folder that is described as catalog and I should follow the folders via public_html in substitution of catalog. I am a newbie so forgive me if I have not explained myself to clearly....

Nick-

You are a God-Send! :wub: As someone else said this should be required reading for all newbies! Everything listed here is going to help me. And believe me, I really need some help right now!

With as old as your original post is, why is it that with all the help I've been asking for (much of which you've answered here), no one has referred me to this post? I stumbled upon it. Lucky me! But what about the not so fortunate?

Well..its a general replay..

Since a lot of new users dont know where to start.....

:thumbsup:

And if someone have some particulars, they want to ask..please feel free....

Hi Nick

Id like to put an image that fills the centre panel of the home page where all the highlighted default text is.....can you tell me how to do that, also i have changed the colours on the boxes but on the header of each box there is a little square to the left that has not changed....can you help me resolve that.....if thats quick for you to help I have one more burning ambition for tonight...and that is to remove all the clipart icons.......

if you take a look at my site www.ktllogistics.co.uk you will see better what I mean.

Thanks in advance.

keith

Does anyone have the code to 'lower my site' down the page slightly. I need to have a gap at the top of the page.

I already have a fixed width site and do not want it tightly to the top of the browser bar.

Also not sure if this goes in header.php or stylesheet.css

many thanks

steve

Hi Nick

Do you say that it is not really difficult to edit osc from the basic using primarily the followings?

1. includes/header.php

2. includes/footer.php

5. Stylesheet.css

I have installed STS 4.5.8 however I find that it is not easy to understand in order to customise my website. furthermore, I find that some contributions do not appear exactly as they intended to be after using STS.

I read 1st 16 pages of this thread and the last 4 pages. Wow, you started this thread since 2005! And I am surprised when I jumped to the last page and see you still monitoring this growing thread 3 years later! This is the longest running thread I ever seen in any forum.

I am inspired by you to edit osc from the basic instead of relying on STS. Because after reading those pages, I am feeling it is possible. I am a osc newbie and just explored it only a week.

Though I never ask you anything (so far) but I want to say Thank you for your superb assistance and kindness!

Hi Nick

Do you say that it is not really difficult to edit osc from the basic using primarily the followings?

1. includes/header.php

2. includes/footer.php

5. Stylesheet.css

I have installed STS 4.5.8 however I find that it is not easy to understand in order to customise my website. furthermore, I find that some contributions do not appear exactly as they intended to be after using STS.

I read 1st 16 pages of this thread and the last 4 pages. Wow, you started this thread since 2005! And I am surprised when I jumped to the last page and see you still monitoring this growing thread 3 years later! This is the longest running thread I ever seen in any forum.

I am inspired by you to edit osc from the basic instead of relying on STS. Because after reading those pages, I am feeling it is possible. I am a osc newbie and just explored it only a week.

Though I never ask you anything (so far) but I want to say Thank you for your superb assistance and kindness!

This only goes for a basic shop, and yes its basically very easy.

1. includes/header.php

2. includes/footer.php

5. Stylesheet.css

If you use STS its done in a different manor and you should ask in the STS support tread.

Does anyone have the code to 'lower my site' down the page slightly. I need to have a gap at the top of the page.

I already have a fixed width site and do not want it tightly to the top of the browser bar.

Also not sure if this goes in header.php or stylesheet.css

many thanks

steve

Depends on how you have centered it.

Hi,

I'd like to have my categories menu look like the demo items here:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/style/csslibra...-menu-vertical/

They give me two code: one for css and another for javascript.

<style type="text/css">

/*Credits: Dynamic Drive CSS Library */

/*URL: http://www.dynamicdrive.com/style/ */

.suckerdiv ul{

margin: 0;

padding: 0;

list-style-type: none;

width: 160px; /* Width of Menu Items */

border-bottom: 1px solid #ccc;

}

.suckerdiv ul li{

position: relative;

}

/*Sub level menu items */

.suckerdiv ul li ul{

position: absolute;

width: 170px; /*sub menu width*/

top: 0;

visibility: hidden;

}

/* Sub level menu links style */

.suckerdiv ul li a{

display: block;

overflow: auto; /*force hasLayout in IE7 */

color: black;

text-decoration: none;

background: #fff;

padding: 1px 5px;

border: 1px solid #ccc;

border-bottom: 0;

}

.suckerdiv ul li a:visited{

color: black;

}

.suckerdiv ul li a:hover{

background-color: yellow;

}

.suckerdiv .subfolderstyle{

background: url(media/arrow-list.gif) no-repeat center right;

}

/* Holly Hack for IE \*/

* html .suckerdiv ul li { float: left; height: 1%; }

* html .suckerdiv ul li a { height: 1%; }

/* End */

</style>

<script type="text/javascript">

//SuckerTree Vertical Menu 1.1 (Nov 8th, 06)

//By Dynamic Drive: http://www.dynamicdrive.com/style/

var menuids=["suckertree1"] //Enter id(s) of SuckerTree UL menus, separated by commas

function buildsubmenus(){

for (var i=0; i<menuids.length; i++){

var ultags=document.getElementById(menuids).getElementsByTagName("ul")

for (var t=0; t<ultags.length; t++){

ultags[t].parentNode.getElementsByTagName("a")[0].className="subfolderstyle"

if (ultags[t].parentNode.parentNode.id==menuids) //if this is a first level submenu

ultags[t].style.left=ultags[t].parentNode.offsetWidth+"px" //dynamically position first level submenus to be width of main menu item

else //else if this is a sub level submenu (ul)

ultags[t].style.left=ultags[t-1].getElementsByTagName("a")[0].offsetWidth+"px" //position menu to the right of menu item that activated it

ultags[t].parentNode.onmouseover=function(){

this.getElementsByTagName("ul")[0].style.display="block"

}

ultags[t].parentNode.onmouseout=function(){

this.getElementsByTagName("ul")[0].style.display="none"

}

}

for (var t=ultags.length-1; t>-1; t--){ //loop through all sub menus again, and use "display:none" to hide menus (to prevent possible page scrollbars

ultags[t].style.visibility="visible"

ultags[t].style.display="none"

}

}

}

if (window.addEventListener)

window.addEventListener("load", buildsubmenus, false)

else if (window.attachEvent)

window.attachEvent("onload", buildsubmenus)

</script>

I don't know where to put these two files and how to link them so that my categories items have an effect of rollover color changes. Can anyone show me exactly what to do? I'm having trouble. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
How do I disable the OsCommerce product load in alphabetical order? I want to load the products in the order I want but I can't because every time I do they load in alphabetical order. Surely there is a work around.

You can modify it in the index.php file

You can modify it in the index.php file

Thanks for the reply. I did finally figure that out. I do have another question that maybe you can help me with. I haven't received a reply yet on that one.

There is a banner in the header and I found the banner listed in the banner manager. I want to change the url link to point to another website, where do I go to do that?

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I did finally figure that out. I do have another question that maybe you can help me with. I haven't received a reply yet on that one.

There is a banner in the header and I found the banner listed in the banner manager. I want to change the url link to point to another website, where do I go to do that?

Thanks

Banner images and links can be edited in the banner manager

Banner images and links can be edited in the banner manager

I found it. Thanks man. You have always been good at helping people and not belittling them for not knowing as much as others. It's sad that there are some on here that do that, but I wanted to give you your kudos.

Joe

I found it. Thanks man. You have always been good at helping people and not belittling them for not knowing as much as others. It's sad that there are some on here that do that, but I wanted to give you your kudos.

Joe

Please look at my website. The main image in the header has a link to it to another catagory in the website. I can't change that link in the banner manager. I have changed the banner url and it still loads to a different catagory in the site. How do i change this so the picture will link to another url.

Well..its a general replay..

Since a lot of new users dont know where to start.....

:thumbsup:

And if someone have some particulars, they want to ask..please feel free....

I am trying to figure out where to edit the text on the right column of the script. Please help.

I am trying to figure out where to edit the text on the right column of the script. Please help.

This is what I need. Please look at my website. The main image in the header has a link to it to another catagory in the website. I can't change that link in the banner manager. I have changed the banner url and it still loads to a different catagory in the site. How do i change this so the picture will link to another url. My website is www.owgshop.com/shop2

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
This is what I need. Please look at my website. The main image in the header has a link to it to another catagory in the website. I can't change that link in the banner manager. I have changed the banner url and it still loads to a different catagory in the site. How do i change this so the picture will link to another url. My website is www.owgshop.com/shop2

Thanks

That is a template based site and the links are probably hard coded in the files.

You should contact the template creator/provider for future support

Hi there, im currently constructing a department store and have designed the entire layout myself using photoshop dreamweaver and the sts template contrib, im having trouble with the boxes, ie categories, specials etc. On the left i have used $categorybox and replaced the corner images + altered stylesheet etc, but i cant for the life of me figure how to get them looking like the boxes on the right of the page which are plain HTML.. im tearing my hair out :angry: someone help!

Hi there, im currently constructing a department store and have designed the entire layout myself using photoshop dreamweaver and the sts template contrib, im having trouble with the boxes, ie categories, specials etc. On the left i have used $categorybox and replaced the corner images + altered stylesheet etc, but i cant for the life of me figure how to get them looking like the boxes on the right of the page which are plain HTML.. im tearing my hair out :angry: someone help!

site is www.salemaze.com

Archived