• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How to fix a PayPal "Return to Merchant" error

This is brought to you by My Network Host, a brand new hosting / small business solution company I'm starting.

PayPal now offers NON PayPal members to buy stuff through PayPal. One of my clients (thebrushmate.com) was having a PayPal error. When a non member would pay, and go through all of PayPal's screens to the last page, where you get the receipt ID number and a button on the lower right that says "Return to Merchant", the connection back to OsCommerce would malfunction.

You would click on it and instead of saying "Thank you! Your order has been processed", and entering the order into the orders table for OsC, it would go back to the login screen (log into your OsC account.) -- and no order would be saved. Only the money would be in the PayPal account.

The error was due to the fact that the "Return to Merchant" button was inside a <form method="get"> tag. Changing it to post fixed it right up. This was done on my local drive. How to change this on PayPal? It took over an hour on hold with PayPal to come up with the answer.

Open up the paypal.php inside /catalog/includes/modules/payments/

Add a line tep_draw_hidden_field("rm",2) .

That's it. The hidden field "rm" with a value of 2 forces all the buttons to be post, on PayPal's system. Problem solved!

You would click on it and instead of saying "Thank you! Your order has been processed", and entering the order into the orders table for OsC, it would go back to the login screen (log into your OsC account.) -- and no order would be saved. Only the money would be in the PayPal account.

Thanks - I JUST had a client email in a panic with this same issue. Rare as most of their online community already have paypal accounts, but it happened twice.

R

Guys

This is a godsend. One of my clients has been having this problem for some two months now and I have been running myself ragged to try an sort it out. This is a very much appreciated solution to a very niggly problem.

One question....

Does this line have to go anywhere in the paypal.php file or should it go on a particular line?

Edited by primal

I believe the above applies to the standard PayPal module.

If you install the osC PaylPal IPN module, the order is saved before it gets sent to PayPal. That way, if something goes wrong at the PayPal site, you already have the order details.

The IPN module also correctly returns to the merchant.

The original PayPal module seems to have a couple of places where its code is no longer current with PayPal.

osCommerce PayPal IPN Module v1.0 For 2.2MS2

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,2679

Support topic:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?sho...c=124298&hl=ipn

Edited by RikR

Rik Rasmussen

I believe the above applies to the standard PayPal module.

If you install the osC PaylPal IPN module, the order is saved before it gets sent to PayPal. That way, if something goes wrong at the PayPal site, you already have the order details.

The IPN module also correctly returns to the merchant.

The original PayPal module seems to have a couple of places where its code is no longer current with PayPal.

osCommerce PayPal IPN Module v1.0 For 2.2MS2

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,2679

Support topic:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?sho...c=124298&hl=ipn

Thanks Rik, I have seen this around the forum for a little while and was a little shy of using this for some reason, probably my own ability to install this right for my client but will give it a go. Does this interfere with the process at all as I can not afford for it to go down as we have already had one major outage with this lat year?

I would suggest you take a little time to read throgh the support topic. However, do not get discouraged because a lot of folks get confused setting it up.

The actual install is very easy if you just do exactly what the install.html file tells you to do, which is not much.

When you first install it, leave the encryption off. Once you determine it is working without encryption, then you can consider adding the encryption capability. This is where most folks get tripped up.

If it blows up, you just uninstall it in admin and go back to the other.

Rik Rasmussen

• 3 years later...
I would suggest you take a little time to read throgh the support topic. However, do not get discouraged because a lot of folks get confused setting it up.

The actual install is very easy if you just do exactly what the install.html file tells you to do, which is not much.

When you first install it, leave the encryption off. Once you determine it is working without encryption, then you can consider adding the encryption capability. This is where most folks get tripped up.

If it blows up, you just uninstall it in admin and go back to the other.

hi guys,

i'am new of oscommerce...on my provider i've a pre-installed version (v.2.2 rc2a)...so basically i'm confused to searching on the right paypal module for my version....i've a paypal business verified account, so i'm searching which is the full compatible paypal module, can you help me? thx a lot.

Best,

Twist