• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Official thread for Great Categories

willross

Hi everyone..

I have just installed v2.1 (CSS) over STS Plus, which is working great, apart from the category box width being to wide. I've seen a couple of other posts with the same problem but can't find the solution or at least need a little clarification. ?

Any help greatly appreciated!

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nat8100

You are stating that the "box" is too wide. By how much? The width is relative to the template. If you are using huge category names, but only want the default 125 width; you are kidding yourself. Clarify your request.

This is a simple contribution. I am not your php or osC teacher. By downloading this store, you are expected to attempt to learn how to use and customize it. Think of it as a new job with lots of on-the-job experience. Not just a free shop with endless free support.

So, don't install 100's of "contributions" and expect smooth sailing. Make mistakes and learn. If this is time sensitive and for a paying client (even yourself), you should have bought a store instead of relying on a free one.

· willross

··········

nat8100

You are stating that the "box" is too wide. By how much? The width is relative to the template. If you are using huge category names, but only want the default 125 width; you are kidding yourself. Clarify your request.

This is a simple contribution. I am not your php or osC teacher. By downloading this store, you are expected to attempt to learn how to use and customize it. Think of it as a new job with lots of on-the-job experience. Not just a free shop with endless free support.

So, don't install 100's of "contributions" and expect smooth sailing. Make mistakes and learn. If this is time sensitive and for a paying client (even yourself), you should have bought a store instead of relying on a free one.

Firstly, I'm sorry if I have some-how offended you by my question.

I was simply asking if anyone had had a similar problem and solved it, which i thought was the general subject matter of this topic - if I am wrong, I apologise.

I am new to osC, but I certainly don't expect you to be my 'php or osC teacher', nor do I think osC is 'just a free shop with endless free support'. Furthermore, I am keen to learn how to use it and in my humble opinion, I am doing quite well. And yes... I have made plenty of mistakes! :)

The left table column is set to 145px in my template. All the other boxes, and the header for the categories box, are appearing at 145px, but the actual categories are appearing slightly wider (about 153px). I still have the test categories and products in there, and have removed some of the longer ones, so I don't think that's the problem but I could be wrong.

Have solved the problem now - thanks anyway.

Firstly, I'm sorry if I have some-how offended you by my question.

I was simply asking if anyone had had a similar problem and solved it, which i thought was the general subject matter of this topic - if I am wrong, I apologise.

I am new to osC, but I certainly don't expect you to be my 'php or osC teacher', nor do I think osC is 'just a free shop with endless free support'. Furthermore, I am keen to learn how to use it and in my humble opinion, I am doing quite well. And yes... I have made plenty of mistakes! :)

The left table column is set to 145px in my template. All the other boxes, and the header for the categories box, are appearing at 145px, but the actual categories are appearing slightly wider (about 153px). I still have the test categories and products in there, and have removed some of the longer ones, so I don't think that's the problem but I could be wrong.

Hi,

I installed this yesterday and the arrows are not showing up. The hover works great and I love it but all my categories are moved over to the right because I am assuming the arrows are supposed to be there.

Can someone please help?

Thanks

Tracey :)

Will, your a legend.

I'm very close to what i'm lokking for.

Is there a way to view only the subcategories menu once you've entered a top level category?

For example, my top level categories are Chairs, Tables, Accessories.

Under Chairs I have subcategories like Client Chairs, Executive Chairs and Multi Purpose Chairs.

When I go into Chairs, is there a way to show only the categories under Chairs in the menu?

This would be great for easy navigation.

Cheers.

OK. What version are you using. Please be specific.

If you choose to show product counts, then the place you need to look is here:

Line 80 in Standard v2.1

$categories_string .= ' (' . $products_in_category . ')';

There should be no way to wrap that. If so, use the old "nowrap" in the <td> or even older "<nobr>".

My product counts wrap too :/ How do I make it stop wrapping, is there a solution?

I'm using the latest version 2.1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I love this contrib - its nice and simple and very functional!

However I am having some difficulty modifying it and I hope someone can help me out.

At the very bottom of the box, I want to place two links unaffected by the tree structure:

- a link to new products and a link to specials.

This is what I have done.. Just after the very last "?>" in categories.php, I placed the following code:

<?php

$info_box_contents = array();

$info_box_contents[] = array('align' => 'left',
										'text' => '<span class="catwithsubs">'.tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'categories/arrow_right.gif', '', '9', '9') . '</span><b><a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCTS_NEW) . '">' . BOX_HEADING_WHATS_NEW . '</a></b>');
$info_box_contents[] = array('align' => 'left',
										'text' => '<span class="catwithsubs">'.tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'categories/arrow_right.gif', '', '9', '9') . '</span><b><a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_SPECIALS) . '">' . BOX_HEADING_SPECIALS . '</a></b>');

new infoBox($info_box_contents);

?>

..which results in this:

cat_menu_help1.gif

Questions:

1) How do I get the bullets aligned, so they have the same left-margin as the bullets in the tree-structure above?

2) How do I get the hover-effect on the links like there is in the tree-structure-links?

(Basically I want the bottom links to look like the above ones)

I sincerly hope someone can help me out! :)

Kind Regards

Thomas

Hello,

I just installed the newest Version of that great Contribution, but I have problems with long category-names. the linebreak isn't very nice.

regards,

Philipp

Hi,

Has anyone found a solution for the above mentioned problem?

It would be very neat to get the CSS version to break the text like the original version so that when the categories names are breaked they would still be aligned (at the moment second row of a category name starts right below the arrows.

thanks in advance,

Faabian

Hie All

I know this is not the exact forum, but I find the correct on for my issue. I am using

Great categories with different colors 1.0. Seemed to be working fine, but all of a sudden I have

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_CASE in /home/mystore/public_html/catalog/includes/modules/product_listing.php on line 124

Line 124 is as the first line below.

case 'PRODUCT_LIST_MANUFACTURER':

$lc_align = '';

$lc_text = '?<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT, 'manufacturers_id=' . $listing['manufacturers_id']) . '">' . $listing['manufacturers_name'] . '</a>?';

break;

Now the error I have six (6) categories. The First 3 are still working fine. But the Last 3 are giving me this issue.

All categories have products.

Can some body assist me get aroung this issue?

My category layout is this:

Top level: Laser Toners

Subcategories: Cannon, Epson, HP, Apple

Cannon, Epson, HP, Apple all have further multiple sub-sublevels.

Is it possible for the menu to show JUST the subcategories Cannon, Epson, HP, Apple

How can I do this

Many thanks.

Hello guys, I installed Great Categories v2.1 and for the last few days I can't seem to get the categories OR subcategories product amounts show in (#) to align correctly or if not then remove the count from the menu. I messed around with includes/boxes/categories.php but no luck. Any ideas?

My Site.....

catagories%20number%20issue.jpg

Thanks for any help with this.

-ladybird

Great work! I'm using a slightly modified version of your contribution on this site currently in development:

http://www.lotuspike.com/shop

Do you know how I can show all subcategories without having the user click on the first level category? I'd like it to display just like the navigation on the left of this page:

http://www.lotuspike.com/store.php

Is this possible?

It also seems that the <div id="thecategories"> doesn't close in the right spot, causing the width of the other boxes below the navigation to be too wide - can I fix that in your code somehow?

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone has figured out how to show the second level of categories as well as the main categories (without the user clicking on them) please post here! As with above post I would really like to know! Thanks in advance and thanks for this contrib!

• 1 month later...
jenamiles

Add this to "stylesheet.css"

TABLE.categ {

border: 0px;

border-spacing: 0px;

font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif;

font-size: 10px;

color: #000000;

}

TD.categ {

vertical-align: top;

}

A.categ:link { color: #ffffff; }

A.categ:visited { color: #ffffff; }

A.categ:hover { color: #ffffff; }

A.categ:active { color: #ffffff; }

Change "#ffffff;" with whatever colors you want.

Then replace line 47 in "categories.php" with:

$categories_string .= '<td class="categ"><a class="categ" href="';

I am using STS with this contrib and it's great however Im having a few issues getting the stylesheet to work, the above post sorted the text issues and let me seperate the color of the categories and the rest of the site but the problem Im having is I can not set the heading color nor a border around the categories box. the origional categories stylesheet refrences do not seem to work.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

i would like to add the changes that the "2.1 css" version brought to the great categories at the contribution named Great categories with different colors by infobroker

thank u for your reply

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just installed the 'Great Categories' contribution, but the sub-categories are not stepping in. Here is what it looks like:

Categories.gif This is what it should be like> Categories2.gif

How can I get those spaces in? I followed the instructions properly (not very many) so does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Brent.

Great contribution! Thanks Will!

Looks very good and working properly, but I am not managing to get the cat. name and number of items in it on the same line. ie

Hardware

(6)

Software

(4)

The infobox is more than wide enough however! I have tried a nbsp near line 88 in cat.php, but this does not seem to work. Any ideas? Thanks in advance,

Skylla

hello skylla

ich have the same problem with the number of items in the next line

did you already solve your problem???

greets

connect1

This is a great contribution!

Just wondering if it's possible to list the Products under the parent category, and if so, how? I only have, at most, three parent categories and maybe 9 products under each category. What do I do to have the products displayed when I click on a parent category?

hello skylla

ich have the same problem with the number of items in the next line

did you already solve your problem???

greets

connect1

is there anyone here, who had the CSS Verion from Schmoe on his page which show the number of items beside the category text like this:

Article A (187)

Article B (12)

etc.

please send me your source code from your categories.php

• 3 weeks later...

HI,

Im trying to install Great Categories in all versions, but still have problems. Now I have installed Great Categories v2.1 Standard.

http://www.sender.pl/sklep/index.php

It works only with few categories, rest looks as original categories. I lost few hours to resolve it, serch this topic, but no results.

Any ideas?

HI,

Im trying to install Great Categories in all versions, but still have problems. Now I have installed Great Categories v2.1 Standard.

http://www.sender.pl/sklep/index.php

It works only with few categories, rest looks as original categories. I lost few hours to resolve it, serch this topic, but no results.

Any ideas?

I've just find very, very simple answer:

Unique categories sort order - thats all :-)