• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Official thread for Great Categories

willross

Everyone

This person has been responsible for the malicious contribution posts to the various 'category' mods, including mine. This and more information has been sent to Harald and AirCanopy Internet Services.

IP Address:??216.81.44.134

Host:??MT2-134.aircanopy.net

Date:??07/22/2005

Who/whomever this is; back off!

· willross

··········

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Will. Thanks for the great contribution!

I modified your Great Categories contribution so that the categories are styled via CSS(no tables). I also added a hover effect for the main categories and changed the way "sub-sub" categories are displayed so that they won't look like part of the category below(as some had mentioned in this thread).

I changed ALOT of stuff in your original categories.php, so I'm wondering if I should post it as an add-on to your contribution, or if I should post a whole new "split-off" contribution, maybe named "CSS Great Categories". That way users won't confuse the two, since they are incompatible. Which do you think would be best?

Here are a few screenshots of my CSS version of Great Categories. It looks pretty much the same, but allows for easy customization using only CSS:

csscats.gif

Edited by Schmoe

Hi Will. Thanks for the great contribution!

Do you happen to know why the categories box goes blank if Sessions->Force Cookie Use=True ?

I have a few sites now getting SEO work done and are asking for this option. Here is an exerpt from an article that the SEO staff is pointing me to:

One of the first issues surrounding osCommerce and spider friendly URL's is the Session ID. Many default versions of osCommerce pass the Session ID value through the URL. You can usually see the 'SID' or 'osCsid' Session Name/Value pair passed thru the URL. While this makes the script usable for those without browser cookies, search engines will avoid any URL's which appear to contain a long session string. Instead, using a cookie to store the Session ID (Value) is the preferred method. Simply put, passing the Session ID through the URL's in osCommerce will make your URL's unfriendly to many search engines, as the URL's will continually change on each visit. This will create a new set of page URL's for the search engine spider/bot to crawl on each visit, which is very unfriendly. Search engines will typically avoid URL's which contain any Session ID's, or anything that looks like a Session ID. Luckily, this issue can be corrected without too much effort.

Unfriendly URL Example

http://www.jjwdesign.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=30 &osCsid=5156e8975ce0d4cdbb13a70f48ea797d

This can be easily corrected thru the osCommerce Admin tools; Configuration section. Just set the values below and you should no longer see the osCsid Session Name/ID in your URL's.

Admin -> Configuration

My Store

- Use Search Engine Safe URL's = True

Sessions

- Force Cookie Use = True

- Prevent Spider Sessions = True

If you are still seeing Session ID's/Values being added to your URL's, such as SID, then PHP might be adding the Session ID automatically. This was sometimes the case with PHP3. Just add the following lines of code to catalog/includes/application_top.php.

// Do not pass the Session ID thru the URL, use cookies only.

ini_set("session.use_trans_sid", 0);

// Use only cookies for session management.

ini_set("session.use_only_cookies", 1);

When I try this, the categories box is blank. works ok with default categories.php file. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

datazen

I just tried it in my paper store ( http://shoptoo.palaia.us/ ) and it still works like a charm. That store has sooo much going on it even makes my head spin. It uses and abstraction layer & groupware as well as my new SEF-X mod_rewrite system. While it looks default, it ain't.

Give me some more info and I will try to help. Please use my latest version, because I have not yet tested the new CSS version (although it is probably AOK!).

· willross

··········

I love this contribution and have been using it on my site for quite awhile now.

However it executes a query for every category, I've read this can eat up your speed of display with all the extra queries so I've tried to optimize this to no success.

Can anyone optimize this so it only takes 1 or 2 queries instead of dozens on a larger store?

Thanks in advance!

Most Valuable OsCommerce Contributions:

Also Purchased (AP) Preselection (cuts this resource hogging query down to nothing) -- Contribution 3294

FedEx Automated Labels -- Contribution 2244

RMA Returns system -- Contribution 1136

Sort Products By Dropdown -- Contribution 4312

Ultimate SEO URLs -- Contribution 2823

Credit Class & Gift Voucher -- Contribution 282

Cross-Sell -- Contribution 5347

homewetbar

This infobox operates similar to the default one. Although many queries may be made, it can also be cached. I will look into it.

Yes, that was one of the main problems with the original menu it was not optimized and uses many queries. Although you can cache it, its kind of like sticking your finger in a hole in the dam when it starts leaking, a good temporary solution but caching is not a solution to truely fixing the problem... Thanks for looking into this, I appreciate it! ;)

Edited by homewetbar

Most Valuable OsCommerce Contributions:

Also Purchased (AP) Preselection (cuts this resource hogging query down to nothing) -- Contribution 3294

FedEx Automated Labels -- Contribution 2244

RMA Returns system -- Contribution 1136

Sort Products By Dropdown -- Contribution 4312

Ultimate SEO URLs -- Contribution 2823

Credit Class & Gift Voucher -- Contribution 282

Cross-Sell -- Contribution 5347

homewetbar

The original menu needs to be changed before this one. This menu is not the default menu for osCommerce, but has a similar core structure. By it's design, osCommerce is query crazy. The categories menu is but one of many query-rich components in this system. Then start adding features and that number goes way up. That being said, there are no "problems" with this menu. So "temporary solution" is relative.

My paper store executes many queries and rewrites, but still loads quickly... nothing is cached. Even though it does not use any templates at this time, it is a good example of a heavily developed store. I have loaded pages without the menu and do not notice even the slightest decrease in load time ( < .00002 difference ).

I'll see what the team has done for MS3 & MS4 for this menu and take it from there. Until then, please feel free to post any operational issues to this thread. Thanks.

· willross

··········

bjraybould

Are you in the paper biz? I saw you in the stats as "...hsd1.ca.comcast.net". That re_write is part of a larger system I call SEF-X. Yes, the original SEF contribution is bad. Back then I tried to fix it, but ended up quitting after too many patches. I then started from scratch and designed my own. I liked the "product", "category" and "manufacturer" wording so I kept that, but that is all. It acts as a "layer" over the default system so only the important pages are re_written and is backwards-compatible for old, non-re_written links. I kept the layout raw so that it could be made to look like anything (I'm not a big template fan. Most people don't change the look of their store once it's made; for branding reasons). It also keeps the "small store" feel. The gateway interface allows me not to have an SSL certificate. The processing system is not even connected to the Internet. This is new and the most advanced I've seen. Plus the store is unbreakable; many hackers have tried and failed.

I may release it this Fall, but it's powerful. Plus the support would be cost-prohibitive. The administrative end is like I have never seen. I added a full groupware suite and modified the core code to use an abstraction layer. This makes it compatible with Oracle, Fox Pro, SQL Server, etc. Now it is one of the only stores like this that can handle "Big Business". What I mean is clustering, ERP, cost accounting and connectivity with other business software.

If you have interest and are thinking of using it for business purposes, let me know. As a paper store, it is as agressive as the top companies in the world. Unlike them, I pay nothing to promote it. It promotes itself, by design.

· willross

··········

Will, very nice contribution, thank you.

Using IE (not Firefox) I have the re-size problem discussed in prior posts. The Categories box snaps to the correct width on mouseover ... but hit refresh and it is too wide.

I've tweaked the CSS, but still have this IE prob., how did you fix it before?

version installed = Great Categories *CSS* v2.1 (not multi-stores)

Thanks again,

EricK

EricK

I did not make the CSS edition. I have stayed away from it due to wide and varying interpretation by browsers and operating systems. Use the latest "Standard" version that is not CSS.

I will be making a multi-depth version that is strict XHTML compliant and will release it this Fall. The problem lies in how deep to go. The CSS version goes 4. Is that enough? Too much? I have looked at how Google and Yahoo color-code search criteria when viewing a cached page. I may set up 10 or so colors to designate depth and association of categories... This was the main reason I left it at 0 and used horizontal bars to break up the top categories.

· willross

··········

hi all,

i'm using the great_categories_CSS_v21 contibution. I have change the background color of the menu using the stylesheet "#thecategories". But im getting two bars in left and right. how can remove it? i think its to do with infobox padding.

thanks in advance

Kolla

I want to support the CSS version, but it needs work and I did not make this modification to Great Categories. At present, the CSS version differs based on browser and it needs to be more standardized. I plan on approaching it using inline styles and Google/Yahoo-style coloring to designate relation and depth. It will be a big step. However, you may want to use the latest Standard version that is not CSS for the time being. I will look into your problem, though.

· willross

··········

• 4 weeks later...
The files and instructions for the "All-CSS" modification are now up on the Great Categories contribution page at:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,2802

Let me know what ya think.  :thumbsup:

Hi Schmoe, your Great_Categories_CSS works great!

Just 1 improvement would be great: If the categorie name is too long the line break does not look nice: categories.gif

How to change that?

Greets, Marc

• 1 month later...

Hi, new to Oscommerce, and have just added your contribution - fantastic, you are a star! A quick question - I am seeing the longer catergory names wrapping down to next line - I guess this is a box width issue. Where / what do I need to change to modify the width of this section..? Any help very gratefully recieved!!!

Thanks

bsbadeaux

I personally set my boxes to 145px. The default is 125px. as far as the css, it is case-sensative in UNIX so I would look there (ie 'smallText' instead of 'smalltext'). Also try refreshing your browser's cache. The css is as follows:

TABLE.categ {

border: 0px;

border-spacing: 0px;

font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif;

font-size: 10px;

color: #000000;

}

TD.categ {

vertical-align: top;

}

gail

I am not familiar with the multi-stores package, but will check it out. Feel free to put the code here too.

Genassist

You can make the columns wider; I set mine to 150px

If that is what you wish, go into /catalog/includes/application_top.php

Find:

// customization for the design layout

define('BOX_WIDTH', 125); // how wide the boxes should be in pixels (default: 125)

Note: This will affect both columns.

· willross

··········

Hello,

Let me start by saying that this is an awesome contribution, thanks for making it possible. Now I have a question, I am currently using the CSS version, and would like to add the same style to my information box, including hover and bullets. Is there a way to do that? Has anyone tried that?

Thanks

Hi

I have just installed your mod, but it isnt working properly.

The categories are all showing, but when clicked the down arrow appears, but no sub categories.

see www.sleepingbunnies.com

what have I done wrong

thanks