• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] Category Descriptions MS2

lemonsensation

I'm going to be uploading a new readme.txt to fix a few typos to the original readme.txt. Credits go to Christophe Buchi who wrote it in the first place. :)

Please post any problems related to Category Description contribution to this thread.

Edited by lemonsensation

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I installed the Spawn HTML editor. Now, I need to get it to work with the text field of category descriptions. Who can help me on that? The original text fiel for the product description would look like this:

// Output a form textarea field
 function tep_draw_textarea_field($name, $wrap, $width, $height, $text = '', $parameters = '', $reinsert_value = true) {
    if (tep_not_null($parameters)) $field .= ' ' . $parameters;

$sw = new SPAW_Wysiwyg(tep_output_string($name), stripslashes($text), '', '', '', '', '');
       $sw->show();
   return $field;
 }

Hey there,

How would i go and fit this into it's own box?

As in, when u go into a category, say hardware on default shop, and it then displays the sub-cats and the cat desc below that, how can i put the cat desc into a box like the featured prods one????

If u're completely lost, have a lk at the screenshot below:

cat_desc.jpg

Cheers

Fatmcgav

How can I include a link in the category descriptin to another part of my site without losing the session ID?

The normal way of doing it doesn't seem to work.

This actually has nothing to do with the category description. It has to do with how osCommerce works. There is a contribution for this. http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,2905

Hey there,

How would i go and fit this into it's own box?

As in, when u go into a category, say hardware on default shop, and it then displays the sub-cats and the cat desc below that, how can i put the cat desc into a box like the featured prods one????

If u're completely lost, have a lk at the screenshot below:

cat_desc.jpg

Cheers

Fatmcgav

I think you need to create it in HTML and copy and paste the code into the description. Look into the source code of your site and you can use the current box as a template for your new box.

See the Category Descriptions contribution here.

It allows you to add a description to any category page, similar to the front catalog page.

Does anyone have the fix to get the this contribution running with Steves "Featured products". The problem is described in http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?sho...featured&st=180

but i could not find (or understand) the solution.

Thanks in advance and regards from Germany

Philipp

greetings from Germany

Philipp

• 2 weeks later...

What's:

- register the module in categories.php, in the configuration section:

$products_modules-> register_module ('category_description.php');

?????????????????

• 2 weeks later...
What's:

?????????????????

I've been in another topic discussion and realize as this is about this contribution I should post it here.

WOW! 11 pages of readme.txt and I'm stuck on item 4!

HELP SOMEONE!!!

Database changes: I'm not using phpMyAdmin. I don't know what it means to "type the following line in a shell"

The rest is a ton of code but I can do that if I can get past this database change line.

Help is greatly appreciated

My Webpage

I've been in another topic discussion and realize as this is about this contribution I should post it here.

WOW! 11 pages of readme.txt and I'm stuck on item 4!

HELP SOMEONE!!!

Database changes: I'm not using phpMyAdmin. I don't know what it means to "type the following line in a shell"

The rest is a ton of code but I can do that if I can get past this database change line.

Help is greatly appreciated

My Webpage

Can anyone explain to me what it means to type a line in a shell? Or at least what I need to do to install this?

PLEEEEEEASE

Can anyone explain to me what it means to type a line in a shell?  Or at least what I need to do to install this?

PLEEEEEEASE

I used the categoires description contribution

And followed the read me and it all works great my only niggle is I can only add text to main categories and not sub categories, does anyone have any ideas how to add text to sub categories

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contri...ies+description

Is there a way to use this for Manufacturers Descriptions as well?

Has anyone tried that?

My customer has an old site that he had SE optimized by an expensive keyword ranking firm and he doesn't want to lose his investment.

Example:

Old site

I need to find a way to put this brillant text on his new OSC Manufacturers pages.

New Site

Thanks for any great words of advice.

:huh:

Edited by bjbtexas

Could someone please explain in better detail this portion of the ReadMe text for the Category Descriptions contrib:

If you're using a command-line MySQL client under Unix or Linux, you can tyoe

the following line in a shell (the example assumes your database is named

'catalog' and you have a password on it):

cat db_changes.sql | mysql -p catalog

I need to update the database, but I'm not using MyPHPAdmin. I would like to use the PUTTY command prompt. How would I go about this assuming that my database is named 'catalog' and the db_changes.sql file is on my desktop?

It would be great if a better explaination of this could added to the ReadMe file for future installers.

Thanks. :rolleyes:

What's:

?????????????????

I am stuck on that too... anyone have any idea what it means? :blink:

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

I am stuck on that too... anyone have any idea what it means?  :blink:

I've just given up - I guess I won't have category descriptions - the contribution is too hard to figure out. I did think of figuring out how to add another image to the top of categories and putting all my title, description text and images as an image across the whole top. I actually did that at first but then I added the categories on main page contribution and needed just an image in the top corner of the categories page as that image was used on the main page too.

If someone figures out how to write the instructions for this contribution in plain language for us newbies please let me know.

Thanks

Actually, I figured it out. Wish I could remember what I did but it was a few hours ago now. I think the problem was it wasn't the right file, i think i put it in catagories2.php

I just did a search of code and this is what i found in admin/catagories2.php

} elseif (tep_not_null($HTTP_POST_VARS)) {

$pInfo->objectInfo($HTTP_POST_VARS);

$products_name = $HTTP_POST_VARS['products_name'];

$products_description = $HTTP_POST_VARS['products_description'];

$products_url = $HTTP_POST_VARS['products_url'];

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

• 3 weeks later...

Not a great start as I'm stuck at the first hurdle with this contribution. Can someone help?

In Step 3 where it says UPLOAD FILE: admin/includes/functions/categories_description.php

Is this a new file that I create - eg. a blank file named categories_description.php?

Is this a new file that I create - eg. a blank file named categories_description.php?

categories_description.php should be in the zip you downloaded

Forum search

Contributions search

Documentation search (note: docs being adapted for MS3, may be different for MS2)

3 tips for better forum searching

Want to post? Read this first:

osCommerce for dummies

Topic name etiquette

Basics:

Basics for design

Right syntax to use near '-20, 20'

Cannot re-assign $this

Parse error

That's because you only dowloaded the changed install instructions.

Read the comments!

Dowload 26 Oct 2004 - Category Descriptions MS2 1.9

Forum search

Contributions search

Documentation search (note: docs being adapted for MS3, may be different for MS2)

3 tips for better forum searching

Want to post? Read this first:

osCommerce for dummies

Topic name etiquette

Basics:

Basics for design

Right syntax to use near '-20, 20'

Cannot re-assign $this

Parse error

Hi,

I'm using OSC 2.2MS2. I downloaded the category description contrib (V1.9) with the new readme.txt file. I followed the installation instructions and had no problem with it.

However, when I tested it, I found out that the text I add is only displayed in the first subcategory in the category tree but NOT in the main or parent category.

I want to add text to the main category and this is what this contrib was made for.

I'm new to OSC and I couldn't figure out why the text is added to the first subcategry in particular.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

You should be able to add descriptions to the main categories and the sub categories. Are you sure you put everything where it is suposed to go?

Wendy James

OOPS !

I have discovered that each of main my Cats and Subcats has its own category description field in the admin area.

Now, the text I add in each Subcat does show up in my website while the text added in the main Category still doesn't.

So, I still need help !

Thanks in advance.

Thank you Wendy for your quick reply.

I'm sure I put everything where it is suposed to go EXCEPT FOR the bit of code that comes under the line "// We build the manufacturers Dropdown" in catalog/index.php [#8.4 in the Readme file].

I couldn't find that line nor the lines below it. So, I'm not sure if I put this bit of modified code in the right place.

I didn't want the manufacturer box since I only sell my own art works. So I removed it. This was the first thing I did once I uploaded OSC. I then realised that it was a foolish thing for a noob to do and that I should have commented them out instead of deleting and that I should have had a backup. :(

Any clues?

That code you are missing is probably why you are not getting the option to add descriptions to the main categories. It is hard to find as that manufacturer line isn't in the code.

I use dreamweaver so I did a "find" to find all the lines that needed to be edited.... the line you are missing wasn't to hard to place doing a search on the first line of code in that group, and realised it was the first one to come up after the last bit of code had been added to the page. Sure hope that makes some kind of sense.

If you can't figure it out you can post your page here and I can try and add it for you, i cant just post mine as I have other contributions installed that you may not.

Wendy James