• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Installation before DNS update

christiansees

Hello All,

I am attempting to install OsCo on a new server. I need to be able to intsall and configure it befor changing the DNS. It seems that there are some means to do this, such as configuring it on a local machine then uploading the files. This seems frought with errors as the localization to the server will be incorrect. I am wondering if there is a way to do so useing the IP address on the new server and then just changing the domain when the DNS is updated? But I am useing the fantastico installer and the domain is the only option.

Thanks

On your last day only you will have to approve or disaprove of how your life has been.

You can change your local PC's hosts file to use the new IP address for your domain name. In WinXP, the hosts file is at c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts (assuming a c:\windows install). There is no file extension. Be careful editing it in Notepad to avoid saving your changes to a file named hosts.txt. The file must be named "hosts" with no file extension.

The hosts file is located in similar locations in other versions of Windows, typically in /etc/hosts in *nix systems.

For the sake of argument, let's assume your new server's IP address is 2.2.2.2 and your domain is sellmesomething.com. Make an entry in your hosts file as follows:

2.2.2.2 sellmesomething.com www.sellmesomething.com

Save the file, and you should immediately be able to ping www.sellmesometing.com and see that your PC sends the ping packets to 2.2.2.2 .

-jared

Thanks Jcall for your reply. It is very helpful. I am still wondering if there is a way to configure a new install on a server before DNS update?

After you modify your own hosts file, just install it as if your dns has updated. I believe this should work without any problems. All the file calls etc 'should' be local calls..

I have to do this tomorrow for a client, so I HOPE this works! :lol:

LinuxDave

Excuse me for being dense. I don't seem to be understanding what your saying. Is it edit the hosts file for the local workstation. Install and configure OsCommerce locally. Then upload the configured file to the new server? But then they still wouldn't work untill the DNS update. Or are you saying edit the hosts file of the server? Or edit the hosts file locally as above and then upload it with the OsCommerce files to the new server? Thanks for your patience

On your last day only you will have to approve or disaprove of how your life has been.

Edit your local PC host's file. Your server typically won't have to do any DNS lookups.

Then, treat your server exactly as if the DNS change has already been made. You can install it there, make configuration changes, create orders, etc.

-jared

Thanks for putting up with my thick headedness.

I am using win98SE as the development box for this particular job and there doesn't seem to be any such file or folder, as hosts or \etc\hosts So I am stumped again.

Thanks for putting up with my thick headedness.

I am using win98SE as the development box for this particular job and there doesn't seem to be any such file or folder, as hosts or \etc\hosts So I am stumped again.

On Windows 9x PCs the file is in C:\Windows and is called simply HOSTS.

LinuxDave

Let me start by saying that you people rock.

I checked the folder C:\windows still no such file. So I went ahead and created one now it works

Great! Now, as you tinker around some more, look for questions on the forum that you can answer (or figure out). :)

-jared

Archived