• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Just a few things to do and stocking up

rommany

Hi All,

have posted here before so dont know if i can again, But here goes.

Im think im at the last stage of building my site and will be stocking up monday onwards, ive had some great points made about my site, eg the yellow was every where and it was screaming so ive toned it down.

before i go live would like people final comments, no comment wil be taken to heart, but before you be too hard pls remember A its my first try, B the site sells babies and kids clothing so it mite be a little childish but thats how i meant it to be.

jellybabys

Many Thxs

and good luck with all you site, this time next year we will all be millionares :rolleyes:

Hi All,

Im think im at the last stage of building my site and will be stocking up monday onwards, ive had some great points made about my site, eg the yellow was every where and it was screaming so ive toned it down.

before i go live would like people final comments, no comment wil be taken to heart, but before you be too hard pls remember A its my first try, B the site sells babies and kids clothing so it mite be a little childish but thats how i meant it to be.

jellybabys

Many Thxs

and good luck with all you site, this time next year we will all be millionares  :rolleyes:

Hi

I saw your first attempt and this is a big advance - :D

A few things

You are selling baby products - when I come to your site you have 3 seconds of my time to tell me what you can do for me - in the lingo its known as radio staion WII-FM (What's in it for me)

To improve reception for WII-FM instead of all the interesting words and copy you have written - SHOW the punters what you sell instead - thats right a picture speaks 1000 words.

There are contributions here that you can use to display graphical images of your wares imediately the page loads instead of ALL THAT writing - I recommend you use one of these contribs.

Why have you highlighted the requests at the bottom - why is this important on radio WII-FM ?

I didn't read your infoboxes but they displayed OK - your contact box could be strengthened by having a physical land address and a phone number - hey if i'm spending cash with you how can I get in contact (other than e-mail which you'll probably ignore :D )

I like your images - but - remember your products may be for use by little ones - but it is big ones who will be buying - so you have to cater to them as well - don't make it overly cartoonish - else they will go to Mothercare who use proper photos etc etc

Get rid of the -> after your categories - you have removed the count so why retain this last bit ?

personally the image at the bottom of the screen irritated rather than pleasured me - what do you think ?

You have a very much better site here now and your attention to the detail is showing thro - It would be nice to see products loaded so we can judge the functioning of the site - but well done - good job and massive improvement.

Charles

A kite flies highest AGAINST the wind !

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a lover in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOO HOO!! What a ride!"

Get rid of the image at the bottom. It is OK the first time you see it, but as it repeats, it grates on my nerves. Your graphics seem blocky to me. It's almost if you had a small image and make it bigger. I personally think this looks un-professional or like something from the mid-90's when moniters didn't have good resolution. I do appericate that you toned down the yellow, I can stand to look at the site for longer. It's coming along. I you continue to improve your site at the rate you have been, it will be great in another 6-12 months.

Keep up the good work!

osCommerce is a great piece of software with wonderful contributions.

Spend some time in the contribution area. There are a lot of gems there.

Hi All,

jellybabys

Many Thxs

and good luck with all you site, this time next year we will all be millionares  :rolleyes:

whoa - what have you done - this isn't the page I reviewed - you have gone back to old stylee - no no no - please no

what you had when I reviewed earlier was so much better than this :D

Charles

A kite flies highest AGAINST the wind !

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a lover in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOO HOO!! What a ride!"

• 2 weeks later...

Thxs charles,

the only reason it looked like that was i crashed the site big time and could'nt restore it.

So after two weeks more do the whole stupid thing again i think i have it how i want, it not perfect by far but have the next few years to change thing.

since last time ive started to ad stock, google search, and a links page.

Again thxs too everyone for your advice, newbie can learn alot from pros like u lot, ( if only some would listen.

Dave

Ps i'm alway open to more comments ( but just nice one now :-) )

Ps i'm alway open to more comments ( but just nice one now :-) )

Just a small tip - To get the "JellyBabys" title to look a little less jagged try recreating it w/ a lighter drop shadow and on top of a background color that matches your site. Then save it as a JPEG file. GIFs only support 256 colors and don't process shadows very well.

Sorry to hear that you crashed your site and have to start over. :angry: I'm sure it is a royal pain!

• 5 weeks later...

Hello all,

I have two problems.

(1) when i have open an account then confirm the order it logs me off.

(2) i have had a few customers open an account when they get to the final part just stop and leave ?

so is something going wrong with my site, could someone do me a big favour and try to open an account and see what scares people away.

you can open the account under dummie or some thing strange so i know it you and if possible pay by cheque and pls try paypal as well.

Again if someone could do this i would be so grateful

Thxs

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

This is the last time i will ask i swear, as i bet most of you our sick of me :-"

I having been working like a dog the last few weeks, crashing the site big time & not backing up ( but i learnt how to now the hard way :thumbsup: )

ive taken all of your advice and had to agree in the end that my 2nd try still looked unpro and wasnt that good, so ive change the whole feel and look of the site and i hope this is better.

i still say you cant please all of the people all of the time.

But again i ask could you give me your honest options and tell me if ive missed anything.

A big thank you again.

hope this is better than that childish logo and colours :D

jellybabys

I would say 100 times better, but you still need to install some sort of thumbnail contribution.

What's this?

"We our a family run business." ?

And this:

"Do if you have any of these"

Home page text badly written and too much of it. More images, please.

Learn how to use photoshop or similar to make the background of your images transparent. Boxy images (ie. the white block) are a big turn-off.

"if you do find the same items cheaper we will refund the difference"

Will you really? How do I go about getting my refund If I want one?

No phone/address in contact us? - especially worrying since on your privacy page you say "please feel free to call us"

Your site needs centering

I like the original buttons, although consider reversing the "back" image so it points the other way.

Stock icon still in "password forgotten" page

Order of address fields wrong in create account

No clue as to how much you charge for shipping?

"Let's See What We Have Here" : Change to something a bit more original, maybe?

Edit:

OK, I've spotted your address and tel number, but I'd still like to see it on the contact us page, where it belongs!

Thanks for your comments,

not sure what white blocks you are on about, guess the clothing pictures and if so thanks i will use my photoshop :rolleyes: and transparent them like i did all the other images eg header and buttons.

We our a family run business, and do you have of these ties in the rest of the stuff i wrote, i know i sound a bit rubbish and i will work on it, but this makes my keyworks and description 100% and that has helped me get placed in the top 6 with msn out of 4 million other site. but again i do agree it needs work.

Refund really, we have email and paypal are great at refunding.

name and address good point thought i had it in that part as well as all the pages at the bottom.

thxs ryan i will sort out the thumbnail, i just plain forgot.

again thxs for all the advice. :D

a small bit of advice to falsedawn, ive seen a lot of your comments here about other peoples sites, dont be so hard we our all learning and pls get your facts right before you start typing. but thanks anyway :thumbsup:

Install this as soon as possible...

'On the Fly' Auto Thumbnailer using GD Library

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,2226

Your thumbnails aren't thumbnails if they are 107kb

This contrib helped me a lot, it is very easy to install, you most likely have the GD library. It comes with php 4.3 and above. If not ask your web host to install the library.

Use <?php echo phpinfo(); ?> to see what version you are running.

Good Luck to you...

Dan Richards (unrivaledpc.com)

Thxs dan, i will install it today, i just forgot about it, stupid really as i know this slows down upload time that will put customers off.

As my host goes, they couldnt sort out simple tasks, so i will tackle this one my self.

again thxs

I was referring to the spelling, not disputing your "family run" status.

Should be "we are" !!

Edit: Just read your last comment - I give praise when it's due, and regarding getting my facts right - see above - I think this was a misunderstanding on what I was saying.

If people don't want to hear criticism they shouldn't post their sites here. Anybody who posts a stock or nearly-stock site for review deserves all they get IMO.

I was referring to the spelling, not disputing your "family run" status.

Should be "we are" !!

Edit: Just read your last comment - I give praise when it's due, and regarding getting my facts right - see above - I think this was a misunderstanding on what I was saying.

If people don't want to hear criticism they shouldn't post their sites here.? Anybody who posts a stock or nearly-stock site for review deserves all they get IMO.

I know you was on about my poor spelling and my grammer wasnt to hot and i was happy that you pointed it out.

I didnt take to kind to this part. (Will you really? How do I go about getting my refund If I want one?)

and i been to a millon site and most do not tell you how much shipping will be till you check out, and im sure if it was to much the customer would leave, well i would anyway.

and the stock part, first i dont think my site looks like stock, other than the info boxes, and as i said before, your advice is good, and ive changed the bits you pointed out, BUT its not what you say its the way you say IT.

Anyway if we are happy with stock what wrong with that, i sure osc put a lot of time in making the basic framet, if they are happy with it so should most of us non pros be.

But to end on a happy note, a big thank you to osc and all the other member for all your great help and advice and that goes for you too dawnfalse :thumbsup:

Kind Regards

Take 2 steps out of your checkout process and streamline your site, and its easy!

Get rid of the "Welcome Please Sign In" Page, this page stops people in their tracks and will hurt your sales.

Use this to take the "Welcome Please Sign In" Page and the "Account Created Success" Page out of your checkout process but still collect all their info and create an account or to "Sign In" if they already have an account.

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?sho...60entry598660

Check it out :thumbsup:

My Favorite Quote from a movie.

Question: How do you know women sooo well?

Answer: I think of a man, then take away reason and accountability.

• 1 month later...

Hello guys

I a bit lost here with the image cache, ive loaded the contribution but some of the image are not going to imagecache folder, so some pages are slow others are fast. :blink:

Ive just about finished loaded up the rest of the products, i just need to finish the descriptions.

If anyone sees any more problems with the site could you please let me know, even if you like it and would like to comment at least that way i can have some kind of peace of mind. i have installed a few more contributions over the past few weeks or so, so if anything stick out please tell me.

Again thanks for everyone help over the past few months :thumbsup:

contributions installed

sitemap

all products

header tags

chemos ultimate

printable catalog

and some kind of slide show ( stuck this in the title tag, so guess thats the wrong place)

and ksaun checkout one.

and a few others but i forgot what ones :D

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I asked a month or so backfor feedback and and some great advice, i have changed a lot of stuff in the mean time, the layout is still a little basic but i think most people would not be of put by that.

Does my site look finished or doe it still look like a novice sitting in his bedroom making a site?

i getting plenty of hits but no many buyers but im still not sure if the hits are from SE so i could be getting very little hits at the moment and that would explain the little sales im getting.

Last thing, Ive added a tips and tricks page with more links, so this is added useful information for my customers and hopefully giving me some good content, Does this look ok or should i drop it?

My Store

Kind regards

It is not really very visually appealing - the lack of clearly defined "areas" make it appear a bit haphazzard.

The header for a site should be just that - a header! Yours just runs into the page below and looks messy.

I would say either add borders and/or subtle color to delineate your areas, or center the store (and again, use borders and color more effectively)

thank dawn, i have had nightmares trying to center the store, about 15 people have tried but no one can do it. i agree with the header blending into the body, do u think changing the breadcrumbs background color would improve this?, as this would be easy for me to do...

Kind regards

I would highly recommend reducing your font size quite a bit. I also think that you should do something better with your infobox headers.

Centering a shop is dead easy. You only need to make a few changes in your header and footer files.

You also appear to have a green border atound your store that looks strange - especially in the header.

Agree about the infobox headers, too - something a little more exciting than plain text would be good!

I'm thinking you need more drastic changes than simply changing the breadcrumb background.

Archived