• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Tax on Shipping with Paypal IPN

Hey all,

I've been searching this forum for someone having a similar issue but I'm yet to find it.

I'm using the osCommerce Paypal IPN v1.1 module and it works great. However, it appears that tax is not being applied on the shipping amount. I do have tax enabled in the shipping module. The delivered code for the calculation is there and looks good. From paypal_ipn.php...

$shipping_tax = tep_get_tax_rate($GLOBALS[$module]->tax_class, $order->delivery['country']['id'], $order->delivery['zone_id']);
$shipping_cost = $order->info['shipping_cost'] + tep_calculate_tax($order->info['shipping_cost'], $shipping_tax);

Even the total that gets stored with the customers order is correct but the actual charged amount through paypal is missing the tax on shipping.

Example:

product cost = $14.99

product tax = $14.99 x .085 = $1.27

shipping cost = $2.00 flat rate

shipping tax = $2.00 x .085 = $0.17

Total = $18.43 - This is the correct amount and gets stored as the order total.

When the transaction goes through paypal, I'm getting

product cost = $14.99

product tax = $14.99 x .085 = $1.27

shipping cost = $2.00 flat rate

Total = $18.26 - Missing the .17 shipping tax

Anyone else experience this problem? :blink:

Hi,

I have the same problem and I am seraching a solution too ... but we both have paypal IPN contribution .. perhaps this is the glitch ....

this is a post I wrote this morning ...

Hi, I have a strange problem... I can't apply tax on any item in my store. Ex: if I select an item, then open the edition page, I select the ?tax class? and set it to taxable goods then I click on ?preview? and ?update?. Then if i come back in the edition page of the item (i don't use the ie Back button of course...), the item does not have any tax class selected ...? :blink:

Does anybody know what's going on?? :'(? You can check my store here. It's in devellopement so it's okay, even if you ?buy?.

Please let me know of anything ...

Alex

so, when i arrive at the checkout I have the same problem than you ... can you check if you can apply the tax class on your items... perhaps this is not exactly the same problem...

Alex

Edited by alexy_marier

so, when i arrive at the checkout I have the same problem than you ... can you check if you can apply the tax class on your items... perhaps this is not exactly the same problem...

Alex

No, sounds like a different issue. Tax is applied just fine on products. My problem involves tax strictly on the cost of shipping.

I reported the lack of TAX (GB VAT) as a bug as I'm having the same problem.

BUG REPORT

I ended up reverted back to the standard PayPal module. 

Andrew

The Everytale Shop

Exactly the same here, and im back on the standard modual as well. Im UK based as well so if that sets off anyones grey matter please post no matter how wild the idea, were all desperate. We were using an old version of OScommerce with the IPN modual 0.981 which worked fine for us for years no problems at all. We have just moved servers and thought it a good time to move over to the latest releases.

We have even reloaded the old version just to check and the IPN still works on that one, but if installed on the latest OScommerce it does,nt include tax at the point its transfered to paypal. So why not go back to the old version? i hear you say. Well that was a on a loaded version of OS and we could not use the templated site we had spent weeks working on so our only option ATM is to use the standard Paypal modual.

Please Please Please if anyones got any ideas please share them with us :thumbsup:

Exactly the same here, and im back on the standard modual as well. Im UK based as well so if that sets off anyones grey matter please post no matter how wild the idea, were all desperate.  We were using an old version of OScommerce with the IPN modual 0.981 which worked fine for us for years no problems at all.  We have just moved servers and thought it a good time to move over to the latest releases.

We have even reloaded the old version just to check and the IPN still works on that one, but if installed on the latest OScommerce it does,nt include tax at the point its transfered to paypal. So why not go back to the old version? i hear you say.  Well that was a on a loaded version of OS and we could not use the templated site we had spent weeks working on so our only option ATM is to use the standard Paypal modual.

Please Please Please if anyones got any ideas please share them with us  :thumbsup:

OK have an update on this situation.

For some unfathomable reason vat is not shown on the first page at Paypal but is

once you,ve loged in or inserted your CCdetails. Will someone please fill me in on the point/reason behind that one?

As i said in the above post we were running on a loaded version that had IPN 0.981 installed and that showed the vat on the first screen. Tryed that version in the latest OScommerce and it does,nt anymore, what gives?

Please can this point be added to the bottom of the install instructions on future releases, it would have saved me and several other people a lot of stress.

I had a similar problem on my web site www.thegeomagstore.com, and as a result have lost several customers. I started to play with the code. but am not convinced that the problem lies with the module its self.

I did not want to go back to the original module, as I like to know that someone is attempting to buy things from the store, so I came up with a solution which involved modifying the paypal_ipn.php file as follows.

On arround line 270, the code used to say

$parameters['item_name_' . $item] = $order->products[$i]['name'];
         $parameters['amount_' . $item] = number_format($order->products[$i]['final_price'] * $currencies->get_value($my_currency), $currencies->get_decimal_places($my_currency));
         $parameters['tax_' . $item] = number_format($tax_value * $currencies->get_value($my_currency), $currencies->get_decimal_places($my_currency));
         $parameters['quantity_' . $item] = $order->products[$i]['qty'];

which I have modified to

$parameters['item_name_' . $item] = $order->products[$i]['name'];
         $parameters['amount_' . $item] = number_format(($order->products[$i]['final_price'] + $tax_value) * $currencies->get_value($my_currency), $currencies->get_decimal_places($my_currency));
         $parameters['tax_' . $item] = number_format(0, $currencies->get_decimal_places($my_currency));
         $parameters['quantity_' . $item] = $order->products[$i]['qty'];

This probably isnt the best work around, as it has the disadvantage that there is no-longer a VAT line if you view the shopping cart on paypal, but does correct the value displayed on the login screen.

Hope this is of some help.

• 11 months later...