• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

BAXGlobal Shipping Module

kymation

This is the support thread for the BAXGlobal Shipping Module.

This contribution provides a standard shipping module interface to the BAXGlobal online quoting system. BAXGlobal is mostly used in North America for truck shipping of large and heavy items that cannot safely be shipped any other way.

Note that use of this module requires a shipping account with BAX, and a username and password issued by BAX.

The Contribution can be found here.

Known items that need to be fixed:

1. International shipping. It is impractical to do international shipping using the current BAX interface. I would say impossible, but it probably is possible if you had the time and information. Just very hard. This module may be updated to provide international shipping if and when BAX provides a reasonable interface. If you need this, please call BAX and ask them to fix their system.

2. Collect shipping. This should be done in a later version.

Regards

Jim

Edited by kymation

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

• 4 months later...

I am currently running an OSC pre MS1 store that has been up and running for a couple of years. I use Fedex and Bax Global for my shipping. If what i am reading is correct my prayers have been answered. I currently use flat rate prices on all my products (which i am sure leads to some abandoned carts).

I noticed you wrote this mod and you are helping with the multi vendor shipping. Am I correct to think that with the multi vendor contrib i will be able to use FedEx and Bax shipipng methods together?

Thanks for your time.

Josh

MVS requires modification to all shipping modules. I have modified this module to work with the MVS contribution, and some other folks have modified the FedEx module. The modified BAX module still needs to be tested, but it should work.

I suggest putting all of these changes in a test store before going live. The changes are fairly substantial. You will need to upgrade to MS2 as well. Since MVS is still in Beta, there may also be a few bugs left.

Regards

Jim

MVS requires modification to all shipping modules. I have modified this module to work with the MVS contribution, and some other folks have modified the FedEx module. The modified BAX module still needs to be tested, but it should work.

I suggest putting all of these changes in a test store before going live. The changes are fairly substantial. You will need to upgrade to MS2 as well. Since MVS is still in Beta, there may also be a few bugs left.

Regards

Jim

Thanks for the quick response. I do plan to upgrade to MS2. I am actually planning to load the CRE Loaded shop. Hopefully this will work with that as well. I have a feeling I might be creating a monster. Although if i can get it to work.

If i can figure out a way for OSC to deal with my customers so i dont have to this system will be perfect :D

I don't believe that anybody has yet tried integrating MVS with the CRE Loaded shop. MVS is a fairly large set of changes, so be prepared to do a bit of work integrating it. Please let us know how you do with that.

As to the customers, I'm afraid that there is no cure for that particular disease. <_<

Regards

Jim

• 6 months later...

Well I scrapped the CRE idea, too many bugs. I got this installed but i am getting the following error in the checkout..

"An error occured while attempting to contact the BAX gateway.

Unauthorized access to application

We were unable to get a quote from BAX. Please contact us for a shipping quote. "

Any ideas

"An error occured while attempting to contact the BAX gateway.

Unauthorized access to application

We were unable to get a quote from BAX. Please contact us for a shipping quote. "

Any ideas

That's a fairly common error for BAX. Unfortunately it means very little. To get some more information, go to line 30 of the bax.php and follow the instructions to turn on logging. Run a test order and look at the log file. That will tell you what is being sent to BAX and what is being sent back. If BAX is actually returning "unauthorized access" then you probably have an error in your username or password. If that's not the problem, post the log file and I'll take a look.

Regards

Jim

Thanks I will take a look at that. I am also thinking i missed somehting when i did the install. The height width depth fields show up on the admin side but for some reason once the item is uploaded the values are saved to the db but next time i enter that product to make a change the height width and depth fields are empty. Any thoughts on that one while i check the log?

Thanks I will take a look at that. I am also thinking i missed somehting when i did the install. The height width depth fields show up on the admin side but for some reason once the item is uploaded the values are saved to the db but next time i enter that product to make a change the height width and depth fields are empty. Any thoughts on that one while i check the log?

Check your mods to the admin side. I seem to remember this working, but it could be a bug in my code. I'll take a look at it as soon as I can.

Regards

Jim

That is indeed a bug. Find the following code in admin/categories.php (Lines 379-380):

if (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['pID']) && empty($HTTP_POST_VARS)) {
  $product_query = tep_db_query("select pd.products_name, pd.products_description, pd.products_url, p.products_id, p.products_quantity, p.products_model, p.products_image, p.products_price, p.products_weight, p.products_date_added, p.products_last_modified, date_format(p.products_date_available, '%Y-%m-%d') as products_date_available, p.products_status, p.products_tax_class_id, p.manufacturers_id from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " p, " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_DESCRIPTION . " pd where p.products_id = '" . (int)$HTTP_GET_VARS['pID'] . "' and p.products_id = pd.products_id and pd.language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "'");

and replace the last line with this one:

$product_query = tep_db_query("select pd.products_name, pd.products_description, pd.products_url, p.products_id, p.products_quantity, p.products_model, p.products_image, p.products_price, p.products_weight, p.products_length, p.products_width, p.products_height, p.products_date_added, p.products_last_modified, date_format(p.products_date_available, '%Y-%m-%d') as products_date_available, p.products_status, p.products_tax_class_id, p.manufacturers_id from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " p, " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_DESCRIPTION . " pd where p.products_id = '" . (int)$HTTP_GET_VARS['pID'] . "' and p.products_id = pd.products_id and pd.language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "'");

That will retrieve the dimensions from the database and populate the form fields. Thanks for pointing this one out. I'll fix the distribution as soon as I get a chance.

Regards

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

You can use the test server with the supplied username and password. You need to obtain an account with BAX to use the production server. I've never used the Ship in Cart mod, so I have no idea what would be required to use it. If modifications to shipping modules are needed, then this module would also have to me modified.

Regards

J9im

I got it to work with the demo username (thanks). But for some reason it is not displaying all of the shipping options. On the backend I have all the shipping methods checked.

Guaranteed First Arrival

Guaranteed Overnight

Guaranteed Airport to Airport

Standard Overnight

Guaranteed 2nd Day

Standard 2nd Day

BAXSaver Guaranteed

BAXSaver

The method I usually use is BAXsaver. It is one of the items that is not showing up. Any idea why? The only items that are showing up at checkout are the following:

Guaranteed First Arrival

Guaranteed Overnight

Standard Overnight

BAXSaver Guaranteed

Thanks for your help.

--Josh

BAX will only display the options that are available from the shipper to the chosen destination. The test server is also somewhat limited. However, I've never seen it refuse to quote Standard. I would turn on logging (follow the instructions in the file) and see what BAX is returning for your quote.

Regards

Jim

• 4 weeks later...

D'oh! I can't seem to get this to work. It just says "BAXGLOBAL-Baxglobal" and nothing else. It also screws up the top of my shipping options page, putting a large black abyss up there.... wierd...

Any suggestions? My page is www.jlevisw.com

Thanks!

JL

D'oh! I can't seem to get this to work. It just says "BAXGLOBAL-Baxglobal" and nothing else. It also screws up the top of my shipping options page, putting a large black abyss up there.... wierd...

Any suggestions? My page is www.jlevisw.com

Thanks!

JL

It sounds like the quote is not being displayed, so the rest of the page is not showing up. How long did you wait for it to load? The BAX server is fairly slow, and network congestion can make it worse.

I would suggest you try removing all allowed shipping methods except Standard and try again. If you still get nothing, turn on logging (see lines 55-57 in the module) and try again. The log file should give better information about what's happening.

Regards

Jim

• 1 month later...

Here are the errors I get at the top of the page with just Standard 2nd Day selected:

Warning: error_log(/home/mysite/public_html/catalog/includes/modules/logs/bax.log): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home2/jlevi/public_html/store/includes/modules/shipping/bax.php on line 483

Warning: error_log(/home/mysite/public_html/catalog/includes/modules/logs/bax.log): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home2/jlevi/public_html/store/includes/modules/shipping/bax.php on line 484

Warning: error_log(/home/mysite/public_html/catalog/includes/modules/logs/bax.log): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home2/jlevi/public_html/store/includes/modules/shipping/bax.php on line 485

Warning: error_log(/home/mysite/public_html/catalog/includes/modules/logs/bax.log): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home2/jlevi/public_html/store/includes/modules/shipping/bax.php on line 534

I'm going to turn on logging and see what happens now.

JL

Here are the errors I get at the top of the page with just Standard 2nd Day selected:

Warning: error_log(/home/mysite/public_html/catalog/includes/modules/logs/bax.log): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home2/jlevi/public_html/store/includes/modules/shipping/bax.php on line 483

Warning: error_log(/home/mysite/public_html/catalog/includes/modules/logs/bax.log): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home2/jlevi/public_html/store/includes/modules/shipping/bax.php on line 484

Warning: error_log(/home/mysite/public_html/catalog/includes/modules/logs/bax.log): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home2/jlevi/public_html/store/includes/modules/shipping/bax.php on line 485

Warning: error_log(/home/mysite/public_html/catalog/includes/modules/logs/bax.log): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home2/jlevi/public_html/store/includes/modules/shipping/bax.php on line 534

I'm going to turn on logging and see what happens now.

JL

The errors should go away if logging is turned on, since that appears to be the cause of the problem. Try adding this just before line 55:

$this->logfile = false;

That should keep your server from complaining when logging is turned off.

Regards

Jim

Yippee! I think I have it working properly.

Now... here's the thing. I want to set it so that the customers can only select BAX for 2 or 3 items (the very large ones), and not for ANY other items. How do I do that?

Also, for those 2 or 3 items, I want it to be the only option....

JL

Yippee! I think I have it working properly.

Now... here's the thing. I want to set it so that the customers can only select BAX for 2 or 3 items (the very large ones), and not for ANY other items. How do I do that?

Also, for those 2 or 3 items, I want it to be the only option....

JL

For that you need Multi-Vendor Shipping (see the link in my sig.) It's a fairly big mod, but this is exactly what it's intended to do. Among other things. Anyway, you would set up one vendor for all of your products that ship in other ways, and one for just BAX. Then you assign those large/heavy products to the vendor that you assigned to BAX. I'm doing just that for a couple of sites.

Regards

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the contribution!! It looks like yours is the only one like this.

What will happen if i have a product that only takes up half a skid.

For example, someone orders 3 products, and that takes up 1.5 skids. The third product will need a smaller skid.

Is that automatically worked in?

Also, are there any other LTL companies this can work with? BAXGlobal does not offer the saver rate from many locations i ship from in Canada.

I truly appreciate your help and look forward to your response !!!

Thank you

Thanks for the contribution!! It looks like yours is the only one like this.

What will happen if i have a product that only takes up half a skid.

For example, someone orders 3 products, and that takes up 1.5 skids. The third product will need a smaller skid.

Is that automatically worked in?

Also, are there any other LTL companies this can work with? BAXGlobal does not offer the saver rate from many locations i ship from in Canada.

I truly appreciate your help and look forward to your response !!!

Thank you

BAX charges are based on the weight of the shipment and the dimensions of the boxes. This contribution adds the dimensions to the database and uses those, along with the existing weight column, to calculate the shipping charges. If no dimensions are given the code attempts to estimate them based on the weight alone, but this may result in the shipping quote being too low, so you should always supply dimensions whenever possible. BAX does not quote based on the number of skids, so that is not added into the quote.

I'm not aware of any other freight companies that offer an internet-accessible quote system, but there almost certainly are some. You could call the shipping companies in your area and ask. I have no idea how much work it would be to adapt this one; that all depends on how different the interface is. This one uses XML, but the schema is most probably unique to BAX.

Regards

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

I'm attempting to get this contrib working but keep getting the following error upon entering checkout_shipping.php:

2013 - Lost connection to MySQL server during query

select configuration_id, configuration_title, configuration_value from configuration where configuration_key = 'PAYMENT_CC_CRYPT_PATH'

[TEP STOP]

I checked the error log and got this:

DATE AND TIME: 2006-05-22 18:52:37

BAX URL: https://secure.baxglobal.com/xmlRateQuote/w...StringRateQuote

BAX REQUEST: <BAXRateQuoteRequest>

<RateQuoteRequest>

<Login>

<UserId>baxdemo</UserId>

<Password>gobax!</Password>

</Login>

<RateQuoteType></RateQuoteType>

<PaymentTerms>DOMESTIC</PaymentTerms>

<ShipDate>2006-05-23</ShipDate>

<OriginZipCode></OriginZipCode>

<DeliveryInformation>

<DestinationZipCode>18013</DestinationZipCode>

</DeliveryInformation>

<PackageInformation>

<TotalPieces>1</TotalPieces>

<ShipmentWeight>100</ShipmentWeight>

<WeightUnitOfMeasure>POUNDS</WeightUnitOfMeasure>

<DeclaredValue>100</DeclaredValue>

<Dimensions>

<DimensionUnitOfMeasure>INCHES</DimensionUnitOfMeasure>

<Packages>

<PackageDimensions>

<Pieces>1</Pieces>

<Length>100</Length>

<Width>100</Width>

<Height>100</Height>

</PackageDimensions>

</Packages>

</Dimensions>

</PackageInformation>

<SaveRateQuote>

<ServiceLevel1>Yes</ServiceLevel1>

<ServiceLevel2>Yes</ServiceLevel2>

<ServiceLevel3>Yes</ServiceLevel3>

<ServiceLevel4>Yes</ServiceLevel4>

<ServiceLevel5>Yes</ServiceLevel5>

<ServiceLevel6>Yes</ServiceLevel6>

<ServiceLevel7>Yes</ServiceLevel7>

<ServiceLevel8>Yes</ServiceLevel8>

</SaveRateQuote>

</RateQuoteRequest>

</BAXRateQuoteRequest>

Error from cURL: Error [28]: connect() timed out!

BAX RESPONSE:

Any ideas? Thanks!