• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Problems with PayPal since change ?

mke

Hi,

I am using the standard paypal module which has always worked fine.

I am now getting complaints from customers that paypal is diplaying a message saying that they are conducting maintenance and that the site should work after a few hours, but according to my customers, this message has been up for at least 4 days.

I am just wondering idf anyone else has been experiencing this problem with paypal ?

Perhaps it has something to do with thier recent feature changes ?

Thanks,

Michael

www.opensoft.nl

You need to change the following in your PAYPAL.PHP file

In /includes/modules/payment/paypal.php you need to change this at line 32...

from...

$this->form_action_url = 'https://secure.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr';

to...

$this->form_action_url = 'https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr';

We were having a slightly different problem to yours but this should fix your problem.

See this post http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?sho...44entry536744

Derek

That totally did the trick, it seems to work perfectly again. Thanks a lot for the info.

I am actually quite surprised this isn't a high profile topic, are we the only 2 people left not using PayPal IPN ? :D

I've actually never got the point of using IPN. Seems much more complicated to implement and the regular paypal module also returns with a confirmation of payment so ..... I must be missing something.

Also, it's a bit sloppy of PayPal (to say the least) to make changes like this without clear error messages. (The 'we are conducting routine maintenance, come back at 6:00 PST' is simply not correct statement)

I'm going to go shout at paypal now >_<

Thanks again.

Glad this solved your problem.

I wondered if I was the only one using the standard paypal module to be honest.

The last time I downloaded the Oscommerce package (about 2 weeks ago) the Paypal link hadn't been altered in the Paypal.php file.

I just wonder how many people who use paypal are unaware of this problem and are losing sales because of it.

Derek

Edited by Arcadiauk

Although paypal hasn't yet responded to my "shouting", it seems they have just added an automatic redirect from 'secure' to 'www' so that should minimise the damage for people affected by this.

I actually downloaded a new osc install 2 days ago, so it still hasn't been updated (looks like it hasn't been updated at all for quite some time now).

by the way, the reason for my reinstall was that I was hit by a variant of the Santy worm, which 'defaces' websites (i.e changes all the files on your server to a nonsense 'you have been defaced' page. Although the worm primarily seeks out servers running phpBB (which was also installed on my machine), the actualy problem (as far as I understand it) are security issues in PHP. It's very well posible that OsCommerce sites are also at risk.

So, update your PHP version asap if you want to prevent a nightmare.

:rolleyes:

I had this happen to my company website. I was using a phpbb system to sell textile machines and I had the message "This site is defaced" at the top. Luckily I make backups on a very regular basis and had the site up and running within a couple of hours. I now have the latest phpbb installed and my host has the latest php & plesk installed too.

There are thousands affected by this worm, check this out....

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=%22...efaced%22&meta=

Oscommerce sites are very much at risk from this worm.

Derek

Thanks guys. Glad i found a response here. I had pretty much assumed that includes/modules/payment/paypal.php was the correct file to modify. That's the one.

I can't believe that there was not a notice sent out by PayPal to their merchants.

I actually found out about this from a customer who alerted us and then emailed PayPal.

PayPal drops the ball again.

• 3 weeks later...
I can't believe that there was not a notice sent out by PayPal to their merchants

Honestly, I would have been surprised if Paypal would have sent a notice to us. :D

I had the same problem, thank you guys for your help. :thumbsup:

Edited by miguel_os