• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Merchant Accounts and such

xavierq

ok, apparently everyone on this site is an experienced expert except me. I search for "Internet Merchant Account" and I find people looking for advanced solutions for the UK...

I know absolutely nothing about online sales. And I'm trying to set up a store. I want to use authorize.net because it seems to be the best. The store I'm setting up is going to be very low volume, at least initially, and I can't afford to pay an obscene amount monthly. It seems that each time I take a next step on this site, I add another cost. If it gets any more expensive, it will cease to be beneficial to run a website.

I don't know who to get a Merchant Account through. I hear it's cheaper if I get it with Authorize.net at the same time.

I'm also trying to find out how to get a merchant account! Anyhelp is deffo welcome, I'm in the same boat as you buddy and its not a good one :(

Hi Both,

I recommend PayPal. There's a module to integrate it into the store, also a test area where you can open a non-working account and try out transactions.

See the "Payment Modules" contributions for the PayPal one - it's really good and charges are just per transaction - nothing to pay monthly or anything. Plus you can give refunds

I've found it's transformed my sales

Mark

Hi Both,

I recommend PayPal. There's a module to integrate it into the store, also a test area where you can open a non-working account and try out transactions.

See the "Payment Modules" contributions for the PayPal one - it's really good and charges are just per transaction - nothing to pay monthly or anything. Plus you can give refunds

I've found it's transformed my sales

Mark

My concern is that most of our customers aren't very computer savvy, and I'm afraid that they won't be able to deal with PayPal, and will simply shop with a competitor instead.

My concern is that most of our customers aren't very computer savvy, and I'm afraid that they won't be able to deal with PayPal, and will simply shop with a competitor instead.

Well, I guess that could be a problem. I guess if they're not net savvy they won't shop at all regardless of payment provider?

Not sure what to suggest - this is just my own experience. Consider that whatever you choose, you need protection against fraud and the ability to offer refunds (chargebacks) on cards. PayPal does this very well.

Mark

ok, apparently everyone on this site is an experienced expert except me.  I search for "Internet Merchant Account" and I find people looking for advanced solutions for the UK...

I know absolutely nothing about online sales.  And I'm trying to set up a store.  I want to use authorize.net because it seems to be the best.  The store I'm setting up is going to be very low volume, at least initially, and I can't afford to pay an obscene amount monthly.  It seems that each time I take a next step on this site, I add another cost.  If it gets any more expensive, it will cease to be beneficial to run a website.

I don't know who to get a Merchant Account through.  I hear it's cheaper if I get it with Authorize.net at the same time.

STEELCITYQUADS

Hi all,

I hunted round for ages before choosing PayPal. Just to answer one questions (2 posts above this one) customers don't need a paypal account - they just enter their card details. It integrates nicely with the shop.

Advantages:

- there's a "contribution" called PayPal IPN which you can search for. It basically does all the hard work for you and is OS commerce approved.

- you will not have to pay a monthly fee - just a percentage on each sale of roughly 2.5%. I found the fees on other accounts (not the "per payment" fees but the ongoing, monthly ones) were just silly - especially if like me you're still starting out.

- you can log into the paypal developer network and test out your payment processing without messing up your store. That's got to be good!

- paypal will indemnify you against fraud if you take certain steps

- you can offer refunds for 60 days

Disadvantages

- even with your own banner on the PayPal site, the paypal page still looks a bit crap, and I'm sure some customers would bail out at this point, thinking it was a "spoof" site.

I haven't in the end tried others because none of them came close in terms of functionality or cost - but interested to know of others' experiences!!

Mark

Another payment module that integrates with OSC2Checkout. I haven't had experience with it, but it would appear that it has a similar business model to PayPal -- $49 annual fee and no monthly charges -- fees based on % of sales.

Only problem is that like PayPal, it is not invisible to your customers. They get transferred to the 2Checkout site when making payment.

Another option I have been looking at is a service called Payquake which offers minimal set-up fees and works through Authorize.net.

Millennium Bankcard

9 Dudley Street Place, Suite 200

Arlington, MA 02474

Phone: 800-483-8815

Fax: 781-483-3423

E-mail: [email protected]

I'm sooooo mad at these jerks. Two weeks of failed promises. Unsuccesful transactions. They assured me twice last week and then today that things would be resolved.

Never called me once to see tha it was. It still hasn't. Still nothing from them to try to resolve it. he owner was more worried about how expensive Super Bowl tickets were than taking care of customers.

I SAY QUIT THEM.

They've got too many cutomers if they can go this long with SUCH IRRESPONIBILITY.

I wonder how many people theyt are acting this irresponsible with?

Anybody else getting cold shoulder?

Anybody getting false promises?

Joe Bristor

877 926-3377

I too need a responsible merchant provider.

Millenium is a joke.

I have paypal but cusoitmers can't give me credit cards. they have to have email and be setup with Paypal already.

I've got alot of people who just want to call with their credit card #.

PS - you don't need a merchant account with PayPal - a MAJOR plus!!

Hi sorry for the two duff messages as i am still learning how to use this message board.I have been trying to sort through the minefield that is merchant accounts. It seems whichever way you turn someone wants a slice of you. I was thinking of using paypal for the ease of setting up then I came accross a site called paypalsucks.com. This site is dedicated to exposing paypals shortcomings. Any potential customer viewing this site is sure to think twice and possibly turn to your competition.

Thanks

Warren

Edited by steelcityquads

STEELCITYQUADS

Hi sorry for the two duff messages as i am still learning how to use this message board.I have been trying to sort through the minefield that is merchant accounts.  It seems whichever way you turn someone wants a slice of you. I was thinking of using paypal for the ease of setting up then I came accross a site called paypalsucks.com. This site is dedicated to exposing paypals shortcomings. Any potential customer viewing this site is sure to think twice and possibly turn to your competition.

Thanks

Warren

I saw that too....confused me more.I am still waiting for new domain to propagate, and while waiting im still tossing and turning on what to use. I own a lingerie site, lots of products with lots of attributes. Im losing sleep over this........

I dont have much funds to start with, yet i dont want to begin this the wrong way.

2 issues im dealing with. Whetehr to use oscommerce or the other one which is miva...and what pay system to use with them..................ahh this is stressfull for me to say the least..

any suggestions??

Edited by Datagg

I saw that too....confused me more.I am still waiting for new domain to propagate, and while waiting im still tossing and turning on what to use.  I own a lingerie site, lots of products with lots of attributes.  Im losing sleep over this........

I dont have much funds to start with, yet i dont want to begin this the wrong way.

2 issues im dealing with.  Whetehr to use oscommerce or the other one which is miva...and what pay system to use with them..................ahh this is stressfull for me to say the least..

any suggestions??

Hi Dan my understanding is that by far the best way to do business is to obtain a IMA there are monthly costs but the transaction charges are much less. although you need shop around. I found the velocitypay website very usefull you can also call them and they give good advice on aquiring banks.

STEELCITYQUADS

Let me throw in a couple points:

1. Paypal: It's a big necessity but it cannot be your only online payment method. Despite what some would have you believe (unless I'm mistaken), the customer cannot simply go there, enter the credit card information as usual, and they're done. They are still required to create a password and maybe some other information on a form that sure looks a lot like a paypal member signup form. Yes, I have updated my profile in paypal so customer's don't need to signup to pay.

2. 2checkout: I have torn my hair out trying to get this to integrate with the new oscommerce and the new 2checkout. It still does not update the customer's cart or show up as an order placed. As far as I can tell, my experience is not the exception so much as the rule.

I am on the hunt for a merchant account. I was only going to use 2checkout as a stopgap until I got a merchant account anyway, but now that it's not working the search is even more urgent.

Good luck,

Daniel

Let me throw in a couple points:

1. Paypal: It's a big necessity but it cannot be your only online payment method.  Despite what some would have you believe (unless I'm mistaken), the customer cannot simply go there, enter the credit card information as usual, and they're done.  They are still required to create a password and maybe some other information on a form that sure looks a lot like a paypal member signup form.  Yes, I have updated my profile in paypal so customer's don't need to signup to pay.

2. 2checkout: I have torn my hair out trying to get this to integrate with the new oscommerce and the new 2checkout.  It still does not update the customer's cart or show up as an order placed.  As far as I can tell, my experience is not the exception so much as the rule. 

I am on the hunt for a merchant account.  I was only going to use 2checkout as a stopgap until I got a merchant account anyway, but now that it's not working the search is even more urgent.

Good luck,

Daniel

Hi it seems like using systems such as paypal + nochex as a stop gap might be the wrong decision in the long run. To have power with the IMA providers (banks) we need history to negotiate reductions in transaction charges and remove any conditions. It seems that for new businesses the banks will probably want to hold our money for up to 30 days to eliminate card fraud risks for them. If you trade with pp+nochex then swap to IMA the banks dont recognise the history.

STEELCITYQUADS

Paypal - the IPN is still not working correctly, PayPal has been working on this for a month. You would think they would have better programming capabilities.

PayPal does not require a password when checking out with a credit card, or an account be set up. Wish their system actually worked.

I am also looking for a decent, reliable merchant account. I have been frustrated by so many of the Mercant Account services do not set you up directly. You choose from one of several MA services, then you have choose from a long list of Agents to sign you up. I am hesitant to get into a relationship like that where I ahev to deal with a middleman. Looks like to much potential for passing the buck if I have trouble activating.

Is there any service that is reliable and has a straightforward, direct sign up?

This is the only issue keeping me from going public with my store opening.

Rik Rasmussen

This may not be the right place to say it, yet ive been tossign back and foorth between os and miva.......... and then if miva going with miva payment...it looks good, setyp fee 119 I believe, then 19.95 a month there after...

i dunno im still confused..yet need t omake a decision quickly here.....

Paypal - the IPN is still not working correctly, PayPal has been working on this for a month. You would think they would have better programming capabilities.

PayPal does not require a password when checking out with a credit card, or an account be set up. Wish their system actually worked.

I am also looking for a decent, reliable merchant account. I have been frustrated by so many of the Mercant Account services do not set you up directly. You choose from one of several MA services, then you have choose from a long list of Agents to sign you up. I am hesitant to get into a relationship like that where I ahev to deal with a middleman. Looks like to much potential for passing the buck if I have trouble activating.

Is there any service that is reliable and has a straightforward, direct sign up?

This is the only issue keeping me from going public with my store opening.

Hi rick have you looked at world pay this is an all in one provider but the transaction charges are high.There seems to be a gap in the market for an affordable all in one service.

STEELCITYQUADS

Hi it seems like using systems such as paypal + nochex as a stop gap might be the wrong decision in the long run. To have power with the IMA providers (banks) we need history to negotiate reductions in transaction charges and remove any conditions. It seems that for new businesses the banks will probably want to hold our money for up to 30 days to eliminate card fraud risks for them. If you trade with pp+nochex then swap to IMA the banks dont recognise the history.

I'm not sure I understand your point. You're saying businesses with no history shouldn't use pp+nochex because they don't help you build up a history for the merchant accounts. What do you propose instead while you're waiting to get set up with the credit cards, if you're able to get set up in the first place?

For my case, I'm an ebay powerseller with great feedback going back about two years and I'm an officially approved seller for Amazon to list unique items on Amazon's main marketplace. I think it shouldn't be too hard for me to get set up with the merchant accounts anyway.

Hi rick have you looked at world pay this is an all in one provider but the transaction charges are high.There seems to be a gap in the market for an affordable all in one service.

I also am about to open a new shop (UK). The issue is quite simply one of risk - and banks are of course totally risk averse. That is not likely to change.

In most cases if you have greater risk there is a rise in cost. So the dicotomy - the less you have the more it costs (i.e. worldpay transaction charges - because they help you out where others might not!).

Regarding cost efficient Gateways (startup friendly too), I have so far found Protx and Velocity Pay that appear to make the right noises - costs of around ?200 p.a. for a sub 1000 tx account. Low monthly charge (around ?20) and no transaction fees. ..and there are osC contributions for these too (one assumes they work...?).

Regarding Merchant Accounts I have a client that had to put ?17k on deposit (!!) for a new business that involved annual 'membership' charges, on the basis he might have to pay them back if it all went tits up!...on the other hand I have been offered a merchant account (for a send out product) on the basis that I get the funds after holding for 30 days - that covers their risk, and I get to keep my dosh!

So I reckon like everything in life its all negotiable - just build a good story for the MA,......but we need words of 'experience' regarding the Gateway options.

What seems to be lacking around here are words from the wise. We could do with a 'Recommendations' forum on this subject, otherwise we are just running blind just as those blind folk a year ago before us.

I found this DTI web site that lists a lot of UK/Intl. Gateway options. Best I've seen so far:

DTI, Electronic Payments information site

So, do we have any folk with experience or just us bunch of lost newbs?

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm....not much wisdom since my last visit.

I spotted a question elsewhere worth adding to the discussion. If the likes of Protx are middlemen, and there is a contrib for HSBC directly (apparently), then why not use that and cut out the middleman costs?

I also heard that banks won't accept connections directly from the internet: guess a few calls will answer this one.