• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

An honest opinion pls

rommany

Hello All, Ive been working on my site now for 2 weeks learning stuff ive never done before, like fonts, <br>, copy/paste, paint, problem after problem, and to be quite honest i really enjoyed it as its my 1st time.

But now the big question can you tell me if my sites any good, i know its a basic lay out and nothing to fancy but thats how i planned it.

Im not finished as yet as i need to change the font style and set up ssl, creditcards ect.

If its rubbish pls be honest i wont take it to heart just as good advise.

Ps

when i start trading for anyone that uses oscommerce forum will be able to get a 20% discount on all products for all you great help to me and others, just a small way of saying thank you.

Many thanks WWW.JELLYBABYS.CO.UK

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hello All, Ive been working on my site now for 2 weeks learning stuff ive never done before, like fonts, <br>, copy/paste, paint, problem after problem, and to be quite honest i really enjoyed it as its my 1st time.

But now the big question can you tell me if my sites any good, i know its a basic lay out and nothing to fancy but thats how i planned it.

Im not finished as yet as i need to change the font style and set up ssl, creditcards ect.

Ps

when i start trading for anyone that uses oscommerce forum will be able to get a 20% discount on all products for all you great help to me and others, just a small way of saying thank you.

Many thanks      WWW.JELLYBABYS.CO.UK

A good place for getting feedback on your store would be to post your message under 'My Store (community feedback)' forum.

Anyway. Here are a few things that i noticed

1. Your categories box is empty.

2. The languages box does not serve any purpoase as you have only one language. I suggest you remove it.

3. The bread crumb line is hardly visible. Perhaps choosing another contrasting soft color would add more appeal.

4. Changae Top>> Catalog to 'Home' in the bread crumb line. This can be done easily in english.php.

5. Reducing the font to a smaller size would probably avoid scrolling on pages.

I like the pencil button images that you have used.

Nafisa

Nafisa

ooops....

You've got a catchy business name and a very good premise for your store. There isn't much to see here yet... no products or anything so function can't be checked. Really the main thing that pops into my head is YELLOWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

It's just a matter of opinion but I am blinded by all that yellow. You have other great colors in your logo... how about adding some green or red or purple.... heck even white lol If you want your background to be yellow like that I would definitely change the colors of the header bars and info boxes.... but again that's just me!

Have fun with your site!

Hi

I agree about the yellow. There is a lot of it. I like the background shade of yellow, but the rest is very bright. Try using reds or blues that match the subtler shade of the background and the result will be less glaring.

I like the name too, but are you sure you can use that name. It may be protected by a copyright???????

Mark

Thxs about the yellow im just in the middle of playing around with the colours to see what works, as for the copy rights, i beleave if it said jellybabies as the word should be spelt then i would be getting my butt sued but as jellybabys goes i ok........... no copyright on it as its not in the english dictory

thxsd again

Bread Crumb line...

Remember the fable 'Hansel and Gratel' where they drop bread crumbs on the path to leave a trail of where they came from, that's exactly what it is. On your site it is the dark yellow line just below the header which tells the user where they came from. Currently it says Top>>Catalog which are both links to your home page. So why not change the wording to 'Home'.

In your includes/languages/english.php it should look like

define('HEADER_TITLE_CATALOG', 'Home');

Hope this helps.

Nafisa

Nafisa

I love your logo!!! And the little A,B,C blocks to the right are adorable.

Honestly, that's one of the nicest logos I've seen in a long time...makes me want to do mine over in the worst way. Heck, mine doesn't even qualify as a logo. LOL.

But, I agree with the others that all of that YELLOW needs to be balanced a bit. Given what it is you're selling, I do think it's an appropriate color...but toss a little green, red, blue and lavendar in there.

Also, I looked at your shipping and returns policy. All of the text is running together making it difficult to read. Use some html paragraph breaks to split it up a bit....<p>

With some more work, your website could be really cute. Good luck!

Andrea :thumbsup:

Ok.

First off, well done on your first site. There is a lot to learn and it all takes practice.

My first impression is that the colours are bad, cheap n nasty. If you don't get the colours right, you will give the wrong impression about your whole site.

Think of your website as your own business building. Right now it looks like something out of the 70s :)

What I would do is go have a look at kids shops, day care building etc. and see what colour sceme they use. That should give you a better idea at what works.

Also you have to watch out that you can easily read your type. Green and yellow for the boxes does not work... unless the green is darker. Same with the purple... and light blue on light yellow.

Here are a few colours that you might want to look at:

#FFCC33

#FFFFD5

#3399FF

#BFDFFF

#FFCCFF

#CCCCFF

Just a few quick colours.

You need an ' between jellybaby and s in your logo = jellybaby's

or after it, or somewhere.... otherwise it's going to look like you made a typo.

um ... nar thinking about it.. scrap you name and get a good one. There are heaps that you could use.

Think about it. You're on the phone and you tell a person your website. "It's www.jellybabys.co.uk" then you will have to tell them how to spell it. "no it's jellybabys spelt with a y".

Trust me when I say this is a pain in the proverbial. I used to work for a place called servnet. You always had to say 'servnet without the e'. the customers were always confused.

Look at other websites to see their shipping policies and fix yours so that it reads better. Right now it's really confusing.

Why don't you just use 1stchoiceclothing.com? It is available.

Well there is a few things to look at.

Good luck!

Thxs about the yellow im just in the middle of playing around with the colours to see what works, as for the copy rights, i beleave if it said jellybabies as the word should be spelt then i would be getting my butt sued but as jellybabys goes i ok........... no copyright on it as its not in the english dictory

thxsd again

You still can for missrepresentation.

You still can for missrepresentation.

Hi! I just looked at your website again....I never would have thought to put orange in, but it looks terrific! The whole page and the new colors you've incorporated have kids stuff written all over it. Love it!

I really think you're accomplishing the hardest task of all....making the LOOK of the website somehow relate and make sense compared to what it is you're selling. There's no amount of PHP script or contributions that can help us figure that out. Wish I could make my website look like it had something to do with what I sell. It's a job, a mystery trying to figure that out.

As for your name.....hey, if it's not taken, use it. Jelly-whatever.dot.com will have to get over it.

Andrea

Andrea, thank you for your kind reply, i think thisheart above you was a bit harse, as i said before i would take no bad comments to heart, but to say the colours are no great i can take but to say the name is rubbish as well, all i can say is u cant pls everyone and if 1 out of 10 hates the name., i would be very happy........... thxs again all

You're risking your neck using that name. I'd seriously consider changing it before you spend too much money on Letterheads, promotion etc.

I'd expect Bassett's to come after you with a vengeance as it's fairly obvious (to me at least) that the name of your site and it's colours are based on their product.

But, of course, I am not a lawyer so do what you will :)

Other than that, your site looks unfinished, unpolished and unattractive. It might look better when you have some products on...

The colours are not complementary - I count 8 main colours in your site. In my opinion you should limit your main colours to 1 (or perhaps 2). Then have a range of complementary colours supporting those main colours.

hth

I was about to say exactly the same thing as Gary, my advice would be to use another domain name.

Whats even more surprising is that Bassett have not got that domain name or even the .com.

You would be taking a big risk using that name, surely its a registered trademark or copyright?

Andrea, thank you for your kind reply, i think thisheart above you was a bit harse, as i said before i would take no bad comments to heart, but to say the colours are no great i can take but to say the name is rubbish as well, all i can say is u cant pls everyone and if 1 out of 10 hates the name., i would be very happy........... thxs again all

Harsh maybe, but you did ask for it. :D

If you like the name then great. The reason that I don't recommend you using it is because of my marketing background and personal experience with other companies using a misspelt name.

It's not that I 'hate' the name. If it was jellybabies it would be great.

I have years of experience developing websites and learning what works. You should see my first website, you are doing alot better than me too.

Here is the website that I am working on now: http://medicclothing.com/osCommerce

I have not finished the graphics etc yet. But you can see how the colours compliment eachother. If I was you I would pick a base colour and work around it. With different shades and a few highlighted colours.

dunno if any of this helps.. but good luck. let us know how you go.

Ps

Many thanks      WWW.JELLYBABYS.CO.UK

Like your site, logo, buttoms, and everythig. Just a opinion change the letter type so people can read easy, find a reader friendly type font.

HOPE GET THE SALES AND GET THE CASH IN REMEMBER THE MONEY IS ALREADY MADE YOU JUST HAVE TO LOKK FOR A WAY TO GET IT IN YOUR POCKET.

thanks for all your advice and as i said none was taken to heart just mind, 1 i have change the colours a little hope its a little better on the eyes, 2 i will be getting in touch with bassett to ask them if they have a problem using that web name as this will save a lot of time and money if they say not too( dont fancy a few years in court and a few million pounds law suit with them as think i mite lose :P ) ...

but if allow i will keep the name as i think a lot off people like it , also planning to will keep the colours because as i look at it the shop is for kids clothing and kids like fun colours, ive had a look at a lot off other kids clothing store and find them very business like and to be honest boring.

Once again a big thank you for all you good & bad feedback ( as osc says it take good and bad to make a great store) and as promised i am planning to stock up in a week or so and will be giving 20% discount to any ocs user just email yoour osc name if u choice to order anything.

hope all off your site do well.

yours gratefully rommany

Hi..

My sugestion is this...

1. use this contib to center your shop> Css Senter

2. use the yellow on the outside and use white on the inside....

thanks for the tip thisheart, i have 4 other fonts just incase.

toyicebear, thxs for the Css senter, ive been asking people how to do that with no reply, also u say yellow on the outside and white in the middle? i guess u mean yellow header and footer and white main body? if so sounds like its worth a shot, no harm trying.

many thanks one and all.

david

Many of your graphics have very rough amatuerish looking edges to them. To rectify this quickly, I suggest you download Paintshop Pro if you haven't already - and when you create text logos make sure ANTIALIAS is checked.

The little animated mouse is very cute. :)

The color scheme is nice but I would suggest a border around the entire site or something - something is missing to tie it all in..

Remember when you use graphics that if it has rough edges, looks cartoonish, or clashes with your other graphics/colors - people will notice. So keep that in mind. That angel at the bottom seems kinda out of place.

I do like that mouse because it is small, nice graphic that is clean and doesn't do to too much.

Good luck on your website - I hope it's everything you dreamed it would be for you and more!

S

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Im think im at the last stage of building my site and will be stocking up monday onwards, ive had some great points made about my site, eg the yellow was every where and it was screaming so ive toned it down.

before i go live would like people final comments, no comment wil be taken to heart, but before you be too hard pls remember A its my first try, B the site sells babies and kids clothing so it mite be a little childish but thats how i meant it to be.

jellybabys

Many Thxs

ps

A big thank you too everyone for all your help over the last 8 weeks or so and good luck with all you site, (this time next year we will all be millionares) :rolleyes:

David

Archived