• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Hours later.....

Richard Bailey

Hi guys :)

Store number two is just going live (just putting products up as we I type).

This is the really important one (OneCad.co.uk) was really just a test for the new design.

Please take a look OneVideo and tell me what you think - appart from the header which I hate and plan to change...

My big push have has be image quality... I dont think I need such a big header to show them off....

Rich

Looks very much like your other site, not much content on the index page and had to scroll down quite a bit, just to find white space.

Apart from that very clean and nice job.

Regards

• 1 month later...

This has long been one of my favorite sites. For some reason, the designers at my company aren't wowed by it like I am.

I couple of things that I would recommend for this site. I like to have the header banner be hot so that it takes me to the home page of the site. If your not going to use the entire header banner then at least the onecad text should. I always say that users can't control the mouse, and the little "Home" breadcrumb is a bit small.

I think that your product listing could benifit from the product listing in columns contrib. I have started using this on all my osC sites because it saves screen real estate, and looks better as well.

I also really like your use of flash. It's subtle, but it really adds a lot to the site. I like the way that it's not overdone, and you didn't feel that you had to use it on every page.

Another thing that I have been doing to my sites is making the shopping cart infobox header hot. Once again, users can't control the mouse, and the little arrow button is a little bit small.

Once again, very nice. This site is still on of my favorites. :thumbsup:

osCommerce is a great piece of software with wonderful contributions.

Spend some time in the contribution area. There are a lot of gems there.

This has long been one of my favorite sites.  For some reason, the designers at my company aren't wowed by it like I am.

I couple of things that I would recommend for this site.  I like to have the header banner be hot so that it takes me to the home page of the site.  If your not going to use the entire header banner then at least the onecad text should.  I always say that users can't control the mouse, and the little "Home" breadcrumb is a bit small.

I think that your product listing could benifit from the product listing in columns contrib.  I have started using this on all my osC sites because it saves screen real estate, and looks better as well.

I also really like your use of flash.  It's subtle, but it really adds a lot to the site.  I like the way that it's not overdone, and you didn't feel that you had to use it on every page.

Another thing that I have been doing to my sites is making the shopping cart infobox header hot.  Once again, users can't control the mouse, and the little arrow button is a little bit small.

Once again, very nice.  This site is still on of my favorites. :thumbsup:

Thanks Ryan!!!

I agree I really want to do something about the product listing. I have seen a couple of sites that have really managed to hack into the listing but it is still evading me. I really want to get my listing like: http://www.novedge.com/Prods_Search.asp?UID=1020

I also agree about a clickable header... Right now im fedup of the logo OneVideo (OneVideo) has never had a descent logo - check out the old one Old OneVideo - I notice your company does branding etc... any chance of some tips/ideas....

Thanks again for the valuable input!!

Rich

Actually, I'm just a coder/tech at my company so I couldn't really give you any good feedback as far as logos go. We have a great branding/design team here that makes any design work that I do look extreamly pathetic.

As far as the product listing is concerned, I do like that other site you linked to. The one thing I like about it is that it saves screen real estate with the smaller rows. I think that the default product listing in osCommerce takes up way too much space. That's way I really like the columns product listing contrib like we did for http://burtslogoapparel.com/. People tend not to read the text and just look at the image. Even on a store like yours, people will be looking for a logo rather than reading the text. The only time they will actually read the text is when they see something that catches their eye.

I let you know if I can get any feedback about the logo from our design team.

osCommerce is a great piece of software with wonderful contributions.

Spend some time in the contribution area. There are a lot of gems there.

you asked how one can see the advanced search page ... if a search is not found (like search for xyz), then you have a back button taking you to advanced search.

Here are a few suggestions to play with:

Why not get rid of the bestsellers box and just add the link to a bestsellers page just like you have the other links under the categories in the box?

Adding more space between the rows of categories in the center would reduce the "white space" feeling further down too.

I'd slim down the top black section too, I think it could be done while keeping the cart info and the onecad logo, and still regain some space for users with a more normal screen resolution.

I alwas like to see a pizzaz color added for interest ... you have that cool orange in the category pics, why not pick that up for the column headers?

:-)

Monika

addicted to writing code ... can't get enough of databases either, LOL!

my toolbox: Textpad - Compare and Merge - phpMyAdmin - WS_FTP - Photoshop - How to search the forum

Interactive Media Award July 2007 ~ category E-Commerce

my advice on the forum is for free, PMs where you send me work are considered consultation which I charge for ...

• 3 weeks later...

Archived