• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Paypal scam???

Guys,

I need feedback here please!!

I have recently had 2 customers make purchases from my shop, and the email came through saying payment was made with paypal, but after checking my paypal account, no payment was received!!

I emailed them both but they never replied, so I am guessing they are trying it on and know how to beat the system..........

Can anyone tell me how to stop any future attempts by scammer customers????

WBR

Guys,

I have recently had 2 customers make purchases from my shop, and the email came through saying payment was made with paypal, but after checking my paypal account, no payment was received!!

I emailed them both but they never replied, so I am guessing they are trying it on and know how to beat the system..........

WBR

I don't think you can and you just have to be careful with all payments and orders you get. It's sad but I never ship until I have the money into my account (exception for regular customers). Even then there is no guarantee a customer will not try to get the money back one way or another. Welcome to the real world :(

Guys,

WBR

Actually, in testing my shop using PayPal, the same thing happens. It may simply be that a customer went to check out, and once they landed on the PayPal page, they got turned off and abandoned the sale. I've had that happen; that's why you'll get the email from your store (I'm assuming that's where it came from in your situation), and not from PayPal. Is that what happened?

I just installed the PayPal IPN but I'm already stumped regarding all the info I have to provide to set it up- so I don't know if the PayPal IPN module solves this problem.

So far for me, PayPal's been kind of a headache. And if you offer only PayPal as your sole option for customers to check out, you'll most likely wind up with many abandoned carts as some people simply don't like PayPal.

I plan on offering it as a secondary option only.

I was having a problem a week or so ago where we could see people going to checkout and then just disappearing.

When I checked it out and attempted to buy something through my store I was presented with an out of date security certificate for paypal.

I then decided to install the Paypal IPN contribution but couldn't get it to work properly and de-installed it.

The problem I had with paypal was the link to the Paypal secure website had changed.

In /includes/modules/payment/paypal.php you need to change this at line 32...

from...

$this->form_action_url = 'https://secure.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr';

to...

$this->form_action_url = 'https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr';

The Paypal IPN contribution already has the "www" in place of the "secure" so it isn't a problem is you have this installed.

From what I have read thePaypal IPN is a good contribution, but this will at least solve one paypal problem.

Good luck

Derek

I ran into this too, testing the Paypal redirect that returns users to my site after a payment is made. If you go through the checkout and place an order, log in to PayPal as though you're going to pay and then manually enter the URL that PayPal redirects your shoppers to after payment is complete, then you get this result. It's entirely possible that someone's figured this out and is setting themselves up with a paper trail for a payment they didn't actually make.

The only solution is vigilance...or maybe a redirect URL generated specifically for each order with the next release of OSCommerce

Edited for typo.

Edited by stephvand

This is a common problem that i have experienced with the default paypal mod. I found that if you manage to get it working PayPal IPN Mod is much less likely to have this problem as with the regular mod. OSC views any successful pass of a sale to PayPals website as a completed order with the regular PayPal mod. With PayPal IPN you get direct two way communication with paypals servers so OSC does not update the sale status till the sale is finalized on PayPals side. At least this is the expirence I have had hope it helps

Edited by andyjamison

I was not aware of it being broken on there end as i have not had problems with it. I had to pay a developer to get it working but once it worked i had no problems with it. It is good to know that it is broken on there side so i can keep an eye on it to make sure it does not screw up