• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

New Hip Hop Clothing Store Need Feedback plz

theman

Hi Everyone,

I have been working on this site for the past 3 weeks, i need some feedback as to layout colors..basically everything on the site

Here is the link to

Soular Clothing

All feedback would be greatly appreciated thanks

THINGS TO DO:

- I still have to get category images for all categories..The person that is gonna be doing them is out of town

- add xsell contribution

thanks everyone

also just another not..payment it just set to defualt yet..not sure which payment gateway to choose...still looking at available options..but as you can see already got my SSL cert all ready to go

i think the site looks great. i can tell you've done alot of work on it.

you should change your free shipping dollar amount, the '69' could offend some people, doesnt me however just knowing people and what they would think about that would get their mind off the main purpose, of purchasing . ..

you should change your free shipping dollar amount, the '69' could offend some people, doesnt me however just knowing people and what they would think about that would get their mind off the main purpose, of purchasing . ..

lol didnt even realize that........i jus picked an $ ammount i thought would be reasonbale for me and the customer..anyways fixed to 65$ now

thanks

I like your logo, and the color scheme is okay, but those bouncing colored circles have to go -- they're extremely distracting! (In fact, if I were really shopping, I'd have exited out almost immediately because of them.) If you do plan on keeping them, you might want to fix the typo: the correct spelling of "recieved" is "recEIved" (i before e except after c). :-)

I'm no fashion expert, so breaking down categories by manufacturer in the left column makes less sense to me than breaking them down by clothing type (jackets, tops, bottoms, accessories, etc.). Perhaps that isn't the case for those 'in the know' though. I guess because I expected to see a clothing type breakdown on the left, I almost missed the fact that they were listed in the bar below your logo.

The 'click to enlarge' button on your product descriptions doesn't work -- I click and nothing happens. If the image as shown is all that you're using, then I'd suggest getting rid of the 'enlarge' link.

I clicked on a couple of products and added them to my cart, but it didn't give me any size options or information. Is everything 'one size fits all'? This could be a serious issue!!

The 'Free Shipping' box seems out of place from a color coordination perspective. It might be worth experimenting with a darker purple or another color from your color scheme to see if you can make it fit in better.

Hope this helps! Good luck with your business!

Terry

Terry Kluytmans

Contribs Installed: Purchase Without Account (PWA); Big Images, Product Availability, Description in Product Listing, Graphical Infobox, Header Tags Controller, Login Box, Option Type Feature, plus many layout changes & other mods of my own, like:

Add order total to checkout_shipment

Add order total to checkout_payment

Add radio buttons at checkout_shipping (for backorder options, etc.)

Duplicate Table Rate Shipping Module

Better Product Review Flow

* If at first you don't succeed, find out if there's a prize for the loser. *

I like your logo, and the color scheme is okay, but those bouncing colored circles have to go -- they're extremely distracting! (In fact, if I were really shopping, I'd have exited out almost immediately because of them.) If you do plan on keeping them, you might want to fix the typo: the correct spelling of "recieved" is "recEIved" (i before e except after c). :-)

yea i dont peronally enjoy lookin at the bouncy balls either...it is from the store's old site..i have stuck it there as a place holder..willbe fixing it up soon hopefully

I'm no fashion expert, so breaking down categories by manufacturer in the left column makes less sense to me than breaking them down by clothing type (jackets, tops, bottoms, accessories, etc.). Perhaps that isn't the case for those 'in the know' though. I guess because I expected to see a clothing type breakdown on the left, I almost missed the fact that they were listed in the bar below your logo.

Well. i had a real hard time deciding how to break down the categories and this made the most sense to me...this store is mainly a "brand name" store..and most ppl looking for the type of clothing that are being sold are familary with the brand names...

The 'click to enlarge' button on your product descriptions doesn't work -- I click and nothing happens. If the image as shown is all that you're using, then I'd suggest getting rid of the 'enlarge' link.

hmm what browser are u using? i tested my site in both explorer and firefox and worked fine in both..if you colud let me know which browser so i could fix it asap

I clicked on a couple of products and added them to my cart, but it didn't give me any size options or information. Is everything 'one size fits all'? This could be a serious issue!!

atm sizes have not been inserted...as you mite have noticed i have disabled checkout atm due to the store being a Brick and Motar store and i am not sure how to attack the issue of stock atm as thestock comes and goes at a real quick pace...until we figure that out i am just leaving it to be a Online Catalog

The 'Free Shipping' box seems out of place from a color coordination perspective. It might be worth experimenting with a darker purple or another color from your color scheme to see if you can make it fit in better.

ok i will check what other color variations i could use..i used it as it stuck out on all 4 different color schemes (men/women/clearance and index)

Hope this helps! Good luck with your business!

thanks alot for your great comments :)

hmm what browser are u using? i tested my site in both explorer and firefox and worked fine in both..if you colud let me know which browser so i could fix it asap

I'm using MSIE6. The popups didn't work when I tried the other day, but they did today. Now my only quibble is that the popups don't scroll, so I can't see your full image when I look at it. (My screen is set at 800x600 resolution -- eyes can't take more than that!)

atm sizes have not been inserted...as you mite have noticed i have disabled checkout atm due to the store being a Brick and Motar store and i am not sure how to attack the issue of stock atm as thestock comes and goes at a real quick pace...until we figure that out i am just leaving it to be a Online Catalog

ok

That is a tough issue. I don't know if anyone has come up with a solution yet, but it might be worth checking the contrib's section to see.

i will check what other color variations i could use..i used it as it stuck out on all 4 different color schemes (men/women/clearance and index)

You're right, it does. Might not be worth mulling over since it does work much better on the other three. I can't think of another common color that would work on all of them, except perhaps black.

thanks alot for your great comments :)

My pleasure!

Terry

Terry Kluytmans

Contribs Installed: Purchase Without Account (PWA); Big Images, Product Availability, Description in Product Listing, Graphical Infobox, Header Tags Controller, Login Box, Option Type Feature, plus many layout changes & other mods of my own, like:

Add order total to checkout_shipment

Add order total to checkout_payment

Add radio buttons at checkout_shipping (for backorder options, etc.)

Duplicate Table Rate Shipping Module

Better Product Review Flow

* If at first you don't succeed, find out if there's a prize for the loser. *

I'm using MSIE6. The popups didn't work when I tried the other day, but they did today. Now my only quibble is that the popups don't scroll, so I can't see your full image when I look at it. (My screen is set at 800x600 resolution -- eyes can't take more than that!)

ok i thinki fixed that issue now

thanks again for ure help

Hi

1.I like your flash intro. It is nice to see a site that combines oscommerce with other programs.

2. The text in the header seems a bit plain and it is not lined up neatlty. I would sujjest putting the offer into a box with a coloured background to highlight the offers. Possibly even make a small flash square and with a background graphic.

3. I would include a home button in the title bar. A lot of people do not know that you have to click the logo in order to go back to the home page.

4. Remove the categories that are empty.

5. The site is powered by oscommerce but you have the copyright to the content, so change your footer notice.

6. You have nice clean graphics. It is obvious you have put a lot of work in creating them. That is essential. A lot of people seem to ignore the quality of the grphics on their site.

8. Men and women..... I would change the tags to something a bit more interesting, possibly ladies, gents or even better terms in the lingo that are more relative to your potential clients.

9. Overall, I like your site. It is nice and clean and you have made a good effort to remove and disguise the multitude of boxes that clutter most oscommerce sites. :D

Mark

http://82.112.102.87/

(site in progress)

2. The text in the header seems a bit plain and it is not lined up neatlty. I would sujjest putting the offer into a box with a coloured background to highlight the offers. Possibly even make a small flash square and with a background graphic.

3. I would include a home button in the title bar. A lot of people do not know that you have to click the logo in order to go back to the home page.

will take a llook into that ..hopefully will make it better soon

4. Remove the categories that are empty.

well my categories menu is hardcoded..so i put in the empty categories atm...but they will be filled real soon..gonna be adding naother 100 products soon...jus writing descriptions atm..pictures are already taken.

6. You have nice clean graphics. It is obvious you have put a lot of work in creating them. That is essential. A lot of people seem to ignore the quality of the grphics on their site.

thx i spent quite a deal time on them

thx for your feedback helps alot

• 1 year later...

too stock and too many google ads all over the place...

try a template instead

Upon receiving fixes and advice, too many people don't bother to post updates informing the forum of how it went. Until of course they need help again on other issues and they come running back!

Why receive the information you require in good faith for free, only to then have the attitude to ignore the people who gave it to you?

There's no harm in saying, 'Thanks, it worked'. On the contrary, it creates a better atmosphere.

CHOOCH

too stock and too many google ads all over the place...

try a template instead

Blimey Chooch, I know I'm probably speaking out of turn and that you know a zillion times more than me about oscommerce but you really do seem to have this strange obsession about sites being "too stock". It's seems to be the only comment you ever make when people ask for feedback. The whole point of oscommerce is to allow people with limited php knowlwdge to create professional looking and functional e-commerce sites. I am sure that the majority of consumers when browsing online stores wouldn't recognise a store as being oscommerce and even if they did i'm sure it wouldn't put them off if they're interested in the products. On the contrary, surely a site that is obviously oscommerce, provided certain efforts have been made to personalise it, is a good advert and a testament to the brilliant developers at oscommerce.

There, rant over. Sorry if i've offended but I feel there are other aspects of a site you could give constructive feedback on other than simply telling people to use templates.

Donna.

Blimey Chooch, I know I'm probably speaking out of turn and that you know a zillion times more than me about oscommerce but you really do seem to have this strange obsession about sites being "too stock". It's seems to be the only comment you ever make when people ask for feedback. The whole point of oscommerce is to allow people with limited php knowlwdge to create professional looking and functional e-commerce sites. I am sure that the majority of consumers when browsing online stores wouldn't recognise a store as being oscommerce and even if they did i'm sure it wouldn't put them off if they're interested in the products. On the contrary, surely a site that is obviously oscommerce, provided certain efforts have been made to personalise it, is a good advert and a testament to the brilliant developers at oscommerce.

There, rant over. Sorry if i've offended but I feel there are other aspects of a site you could give constructive feedback on other than simply telling people to use templates.

Donna.

So basically, you're saying his answers are too stock!!! :D

i dont mind stock-ness (bushism) in osc but what i will never understand is adding googleads to a shop?

googleads should be for content pages, why would you want to send somebody to a competing shop?

i dont mind stock-ness (bushism) in osc but what i will never understand is adding googleads to a shop?

googleads should be for content pages, why would you want to send somebody to a competing shop?

I cant understand the logic of it either... the first thing that comes to mind is 'how many cents is the store owner getting if I click this ad?' - it is not the thing have on a professional site. It doesn't even look nice.. th site looks much better with the googleads not there

Upon receiving fixes and advice, too many people don't bother to post updates informing the forum of how it went. Until of course they need help again on other issues and they come running back!

Why receive the information you require in good faith for free, only to then have the attitude to ignore the people who gave it to you?

There's no harm in saying, 'Thanks, it worked'. On the contrary, it creates a better atmosphere.

CHOOCH

Donna.

You haven't offended me because I gave an honest opinion. The site owner added a post here so people can give opinions, and I have done just that.

Actually, telling someone who has asked for an opinion about their site that they need a template is constructive feedback because on this particular site and maybe 70% others that I have seen recently, there isn't much going on and a template is the best solution. osCommerce may be (as you suggested) about allowing people with little or no skill to get an online shop, but for many people it is about development and taking it to the next level too.

Just to re-iterate, there are too many google ads all over the place so it automatically makes the site look cheap. I wouldn't buy from a site that had that many google ads because it seems they are trying to get a few cents per click on their site.. yuk.

Also, the stock element is there because with the exception of the colours, there's nothing else different to osCommerce standard. The advantage of having a template is that it makes a site different from the usual column right/left with standard header/footer so it is something for you to consider.

Good Luck

CHOOCH

Archived