• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

FAQ?

hallrar

I am at the very beginning stages of looking at a payment module for my web store. (Only have paypal so far)

Are there any FAQ documents around I can read about this so I can understand how it all works before I start installing anything?

Also, I'm considering installing everything on my own local web server, is there anything in particular I should be aware of in regards to this?

Hallrar

I am at the very beginning stages of looking at a payment module for my web store. (Only have paypal so far)

Are there any FAQ documents around I can read about this so I can understand how it all works before I start installing anything?

Also, I'm considering installing everything on my own local web server, is there anything in particular I should be aware of in regards to this?

Hallrar

I can't really speak to the FAQ question, typically a good contribution comes with install documents to help you out.

As to the local server, I would recommend against it if this is for a live store. I run my own local server, but I only use it as a testbed to try out new ideas, etc., I would never run my own webserve for an e-commerce store. Here's the reason: you just don't have the time/skills to maintain the web-server side properly AND maintain the shopping cart.

Maintaining web servers properly is a full-time job, that's why people get paid to do it. It would be money well spent to find a proper hoster who can host your osC cart code, and let you only be concerned with that piece, and let someone else handle the web-server stuff. As long as there are backups somewhere, it's a FAR safer bet. There's enough sites around that do hosting for $10 or $20 a month that are worth every penny of your sanity.

In addition to all that, you'll get a speedier connection to the rest of the world for your site, power-outage protection, etc. Just make sure backups are getting done!