• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Template systems

I have ppl telling me to use one or the other,,

one person said to use sts, another said bts.

which is better,, in your opinions, and why?

right now I have a new install of osc, and waiting to do anything till i get a resonce back from all you current users.

and,, one more thing,, i also seen one say something about sts and SEC what is SEC?>

Thanks in advance

Regards

Tom

which is better,,  in your opinions, and why?

right now I have a new install of osc, and waiting to do anything till i get a resonce back from all you current users.

and,, one more thing,, i also seen one say something about sts and SEC    what is SEC?>

Thanks in advance

Regards

Tom

All i can say, do not use sts if you will have a large number of categories, it would slow down your site.

i had 250 products with 3 categories deep (category, sub, sub-sub) it would generate 5000+ queries to display a product. Almost got kicked off from a server. I had to get rid of the categories and use advance_search so that i could get same results.

good luck.

which is better,,  in your opinions, and why?

Which one is better for you depends totally on your skills and needs. The STS and BTS are different, I think you can't say one of both it better in general.

The STS is a template system or engine, to use it you need to learn to use the STS and it will enable you to change the looks of your site by editting just a couple of files.

The STS will give you fast results, but won't let you use PHP in the templates, only HTML. Thus, the system might limit your possibilities. Looking at the STS support thread it looks like you will have trouble with some of the contributions using it.

The BTS is a template structure, to use it you need some PHP knowledge and it will enable you the looks by editting just a couple of files.

With the BTS it might take some more time to get the first results, but there are no limitations other than the limitations of your knowledge and php itself. Adding some of the contributions will be more difficult because most catalog code has been moved to other files than the default.

I think it's often like this: if you are a wysiwyg type you'll like the STS, but if you are more a code editor type you'll like the BTS more.

(B.t.w. a skilled programmer could combine the two without to much trouble I think.)

Edited by PandA.nl