• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] Thumbnail Category Browse

I was reading through the blogs today and read Carine's entry here: Alternative layout for the product info page

Thus was born Thumbnail Category Browse v1.0 :)

ABOUT

This contribution places an easily browseable thumbnail row at the bottom of the product info page.

This row contains all the products in the currently viewed category with the products sorted by the products_ordered field so can be used as a powerful and easy to use upsale feature.

It has a smart memory so their place within the product thumbnails is remembered and makes for a user friendly browsing experience.

Super easy install: upload 2 new files and add 1 line of code to product_info.php

SCREENSHOT

thumbnail_category_browse.jpg

DEMO

Download Thumbnail Category Browse

Please post support requests in this thread!

Much gatitude to Carine for the inspiration.

Enjoy!

Bobby

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bobby, was an easy install, but for some reason....

using the default settings I am only showing the number of products specified in the MAX setting even though there are many more products in that category.

If I jack up the MAX then it shows more...

The problem is it is never showing the nav links.

The only way I get the informatino to even show is to comment out:

if ( $listing_split->num_rows > MAX_THUMB_ROW ){

then it shows the information but still does not show page links.

Any thoughts?

Chris

osC Contributions I have published.

Note: Some I only provided minor changes, updates or additions!

Bobby, Was just looking in to the server specs...

And no I have not modified anything at all...

But, it works fine where it is important on a live server.

Is there something in the union query that is requiring a newer version?

My local machine is using:

PHP 4.3.9

Apache/1.3.27 (Win32)

MySQL 4.0.0

Live server:

PHP 4.3.10

Apache/1.3.27 (Win32)

MySQL 4.0.22

Chris,

Let me verify two things:

1) Your live server is a Windows based server running IIS?

2) Your package is NOT a CRE Loaded or BTS templated store which neither are compatible with the install as released (working on a BTS port now).

Bobby

Chris,

Let me verify two things:

1) Your live server is a Windows based server running IIS?

2) Your package is NOT a CRE Loaded or BTS templated store which neither are compatible with the install as released (working on a BTS port now).

Bobby

Bobby, my live server is not Windows, that was an error I posted.

I have been able to get this mod to work on a live box, just not a local box - not that big if a deal.

FYI... I am using a modified BTS - which it does work with, but I will have a programmer who I know is really good with templates look at it just in case it is the BTS causing problems. I understand BTS does not use a Smarty format and I have heard you are partial to that so maybe it is an issue w/ BTS.

Thanks,

Chris

I was reading through the blogs today and read Carine's entry here: Alternative layout for the product info page

Thus was born Thumbnail Category Browse v1.0 :)

ABOUT

This contribution places an easily browseable thumbnail row at the bottom of the product info page.

This row contains all the products in the currently viewed category with the products sorted by the products_ordered field so can be used as a powerful and easy to use upsale feature.

It has a smart memory so their place within the product thumbnails is remembered and makes for a user friendly browsing experience.

Super easy install: upload 2 new files and add 1 line of code to product_info.php

SCREENSHOT

thumbnail_category_browse.jpg

DEMO

Download Thumbnail Category Browse

Please post support requests in this thread!

Much gatitude to Carine for the inspiration. 

Enjoy!

Bobby

Bobby, just wondering, if I include the class in application top like this :

// union-split-page-results

require(DIR_WS_CLASSES . 'union_split_page_results.php');

and this is all I do, not including the module, my pages dissapear.

I originally installed it as documented but that made my site break at the point of module inclusion so I figured that maybe I try to include the class in application top like all the other classes. Doing that makes it break right there. I can't figure this because it is just the class definition and doesn't execute anything at that time.

Amanda

Treasurer MFC

Amanda,

One very big requirement to use UNION queries is MySQL version >= 4.0

I need to update the install file to reflect this. It slipped my mind to check for when the UNION command becam available...I usually do this in my PHP code but didn't even think about MySQL.

Bobby

Amanda,

One very big requirement to use UNION queries is MySQL version >= 4.0

I need to update the install file to reflect this.  It slipped my mind to check for when the UNION command becam available...I usually do this in my PHP code but didn't even think about MySQL.

Bobby

Ok, but I am running Mysql 4.0.18 and have no problem with the union you made for the also purchased query.

Treasurer MFC

Amanda,

This stumps me as well. As you said, it is only the class definition and nothing is executed at that time.

Try chaning it to require_once() instead of require()

Bobby

First things first. Top one chemo.

Now for the ugly part.

I have installed this to the letter but i get this error for some reason.

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare unionSplit::$page_number in /home/globalda/public_html/test/includes/classes/union_split_page_results.php on line 3

which is on my product_info page.

Any ideas.

Amanda,

This stumps me as well.  As you said, it is only the class definition and nothing is executed at that time.

Try chaning it to require_once() instead of require()

Bobby

nope, it is almost acting as a quote is not closed or a bracket missing but that can't be because then all other would have encountered the same.

and there is no error, warning or notice from php nor mysql, just a dead end upon inclusion.

Treasurer MFC

nope, it is almost acting as a quote is not closed or a bracket missing but that can't be because then all other would have encountered the same.

and there is no error, warning or notice from php nor mysql, just a dead end upon inclusion.

You will not believe this but it seems that the reason is the double declaration of the variable $page_number in the class which causes the crash.

var $query, $num_rows, $page_number, $number_of_pages, $page_number, $page_name;

removing one of them did it.

Treasurer MFC

You will not believe this but it seems that the reason is the double declaration of the variable $page_number in the class which causes the crash.

var $query, $num_rows, $page_number, $number_of_pages, $page_number, $page_name;

removing one of them did it.

geez...such an amateur mistake! I did declare the variable twice and it slipped my attention. I will correct this mistake directly and upload another revision.

Good find!

i have only mysql version 3.23.57 installed

so i can not  use this module??? or is there another possibility for the "union"-query?

regards,

marcus

It appears as though it was a mistake on my part to rely on people having 4.0 or higher and will rewrite a version just for those that need to use the JOIN query instead. Give me a few days as I am pretty busy with projects. I won't forget...

Bobby

geez...such an amateur mistake!  I did declare the variable twice and it slipped my attention.  I will correct this mistake directly and upload another revision.

Good find!

It appears as though it was a mistake on my part to rely on people having 4.0 or higher and will rewrite a version just for those that need to use the JOIN query instead.  Give me a few days as I am pretty busy with projects.  I won't forget...

Bobby

Does this mean that the new vrsion will run on php 5 then or will that be something else. I will try the new version and get back to you.

Hope it does work cause this contribution looks wicked. RESPECT CHEMO

:thumbsup: First things first - Chemo, what an awesome idea!!

:'( Now the bad news - I got a SQL syntax error when I installed the contribution:

1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'BY products_ordered desc LIMIT 0, 5' at line 1

SELECT SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS BY products_ordered desc LIMIT 0, 5

[TEP STOP]

I'm using the STS contribution and I noticed in an earlier post that the TCB contribution does not work with BTS, so maybe it won't work with STS either.

I'm using PHP version 4.3.10 and mySQL version 4.0.22-standard.

I can't wait to see this work on my site.

Thanks again,

JB

Steep learning curve? Hell, I don't even know enough to formulate a stupid question!!

JB,

I am not familiar with STS, but I can tell oyu it works w/ BTS fine. YOu just have to make the changes to the right files (tpl).

Not that I am much help as I have never even looked at STS, but just wanted to let you know it is fine w/ BTS.

Chris

JB,

I am not familiar with STS, but I can tell oyu it works w/ BTS fine.  YOu just have to make the changes to the right files (tpl).

Not that I am much help as I have never even looked at STS, but just wanted to let you know it is fine w/ BTS.

Chris

Thanks, Chris. I'm hopeful. I guess once I work out the SQL problem, I'll address the STS problem.

JB

Steep learning curve? Hell, I don't even know enough to formulate a stupid question!!

:thumbsup: First things first - Chemo, what an awesome idea!!

:'( Now the bad news - I got a SQL syntax error when I installed the contribution:

1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'BY products_ordered desc LIMIT 0, 5' at line 1

SELECT SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS BY products_ordered desc LIMIT 0, 5

[TEP STOP]

I'm using the STS contribution and I noticed in an earlier post that the TCB contribution does not work with BTS, so maybe it won't work with STS either.

I'm using PHP version 4.3.10 and mySQL version 4.0.22-standard.

I can't wait to see this work on my site.

Thanks again,

JB

this SQL error has nothing to do with STS I believe. I had the same problem and found some workarounds. My solution is posted in the other thread for this contribution. I don't run STS...has to do with the $current_category_id been zero and or a search engine calling up an old product that no longer exists. search for Chemo's other thread on this wonderful contrib for details.

this SQL error has nothing to do with STS I believe. I had the same problem and found some workarounds. My solution is posted in the other thread for this contribution. I don't run STS...has to do with the $current_category_id been zero and or a search engine calling up an old product that no longer exists. search for Chemo's other thread on this wonderful contrib for details.

Thanks for the help, Rodney. I found your workaround. Now my site works perfectly for what I want to do. I'm wondering how I can get two or more rows of products. That way I could present all products in a category, rather than just the 8 that fit now.

Any ideas?

JB