• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] Ultimate SEO URLs - by Chemo

I have been installing contributions to a clean install os osCommerce. This is provided by my hosting company and installs itself with a few clicks from my control panel. According to "Server Info" this is osCommerce 2.2-MS2.

I thought I had been testing everything as I installed each contribution, but now KI realize that I can no longer use HTML to format my product description field. After some searching on the forums I found this post:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?s=&...st&p=692841

which suggested the problem was in catalog/includes/functions/database.php

I replaced the tep_db_prepare_input function and everything works fine.

But, when I look back thru the milestones I took after each contribution install, I find that that was modified when I installed Ultimate SEO.

Now, I can use HTML in my product description, but I am wondering how that effects Ultimate SEO and what it will do to the web site's rankings in the search engines.

If using HTML in the product descriptions is a bad thing for the way Ultimate SEO massaging things for the search engines, how does one format the product descriptions so that doesn't happen?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and help.

Ken

Edited by kloomis

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I asked a pretty straightforward question a couple of days ago...with no reply.

Will punctuation....such as hyphens in my product titles...wreak havoc with this contrib?

It seemed to the last time I tried to install this. Honestly, a simple Yes or No will do.

I'd like to have this contrib in my site, but...if there's a big problem with pre-placed hyphens in my listing titles...I'd like to know.

Last time: 1-5-93 Name Of Magazine KEYWORD-KEYWORD

turned into:

1593 Name-Of-Magazine KEY-WORD KEY-WORD and I ended up with dead links.

I have been installing contributions to a clean install os osCommerce. This is provided by my hosting company and installs itself with a few clicks from my control panel. According to "Server Info" this is osCommerce 2.2-MS2.

I thought I had been testing everything as I installed each contribution, but now KI realize that I can no longer use HTML to format my product description field. After some searching on the forums I found this post:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?s=&...st&p=692841

which suggested the problem was in catalog/includes/functions/database.php

I replaced the tep_db_prepare_input function and everything works fine.

But, when I look back thru the milestones I took after each contribution install, I find that that was modified when I installed Ultimate SEO.

Now, I can use HTML in my product description, but I am wondering how that effects Ultimate SEO and what it will do to the web site's rankings in the search engines.

If using HTML in the product descriptions is a bad thing for the way Ultimate SEO massaging things for the search engines, how does one format the product descriptions so that doesn't happen?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and help.

Ken

Ken,

There shouldn't be any issues with SEO and the product description, the issue that you were referring to was the tep_sanitize_string entry in the database.php file, which only prepares the input for entry. From what I can see it does not affect the SEO operation if you remove the function from the field preparation.

I'm going through the same install and have FCKEditor installed, which caused the same break, I have changed the database tep_prepare call back to pre Ultimate SEO and all is working.

HTH

Paul.

HI Excellent Contrib.

I have an odd problem though. SEO urls work fine on my https, and did work on my HTTP but now all the links from the index.php and productinfo.php are in the NON seo format . BUT if you type in what the seo url should be, it finds it ok!

Any ideas which files I need to look at

my HTTPS is hereMotorbikes and Parts HTTPS

my Htto is here http://www.motorbikesandparts.co.uk

Ken,

There shouldn't be any issues with SEO and the product description, the issue that you were referring to was the tep_sanitize_string entry in the database.php file, which only prepares the input for entry. From what I can see it does not affect the SEO operation if you remove the function from the field preparation.

I'm going through the same install and have FCKEditor installed, which caused the same break, I have changed the database tep_prepare call back to pre Ultimate SEO and all is working.

HTH

Paul.

Thanks, Paul. That's good to know. But, I think I was confused when I posted that question about how using HTML in the product descriptions would affect Ultimate SEO. Actually, I think my concern should have been about how using HTML will affect Header Tags Controller (HTC). I forget in which topic here that I read it, but it recall mention that HTML in the headers doesn't set too well with the search engines. And, I think HTC uses the product descriptions in the description header tag for the product pages, so, now anyway, I am avoiding formatting my product descriptions.

Ken

Hey guys im gettin the error can any1 please help im pulling my hair out !!!

Warning: include_once(includes/classes/seoclass.php) [function.include-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:\Program Files\xampp\oscommerce\catalog\admin\includes\application_top.php on line 160

Warning: include_once() [function.include]: Failed opening 'includes/classes/seoclass.php' for inclusion (include_path='.;C:\Program Files\xampp\php\pear\') in C:\Program Files\xampp\oscommerce\catalog\admin\includes\application_top.php on line 160

Fatal error: Class 'SEO_URL' not found in C:\Program Files\xampp\oscommerce\catalog\admin\includes\application_top.php on line 163

And what i have on those lines is ::

// include the language translations

require(DIR_WS_LANGUAGES . $language . '.php');

// Ultimate SEO URLs v2.1

if (SEO_ENABLED == 'true' or (SEO_ENABLED != 'true' and SEO_ENABLED != 'false')) {

include_once(DIR_WS_CLASSES . 'seo.class.php');

if ( !is_object($seo_urls) )

{

$seo_urls = new SEO_URL($languages_id);

}

}

$current_page = basename($PHP_SELF);

if (file_exists(DIR_WS_LANGUAGES . $language . '/' . $current_page)) {

include(DIR_WS_LANGUAGES . $language . '/' . $current_page);

}

Can any1 please help ??

Thanks

Hey guys im gettin the error can any1 please help im pulling my hair out !!!

Warning: include_once(includes/classes/seoclass.php) [function.include-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:\Program Files\xampp\oscommerce\catalog\admin\includes\application_top.php on line 160...

1. Chemo's U_SEO_URLs only modifies the application_top.php at the catalog side, not the admin side; so what version you are using? The error in your post seems to suggest you edit the one at the admin side.

2. the file name in question is seo.class.php, although it could be changed to somethiong else like seoclass.php, but that will need to match the file name to that quoted in the code.

Ken

Edited by GemRock

commercial support - unProtected channel, not to be confused with the forum with same name - open to everyone who need some professional help: either PM/email me, or go to my website (URL can be found in my profile).

over 20 years of computer programming experience.

...so, now anyway, I am avoiding formatting my product descriptions...

You don't have to. There's other header tags contrib that does not interfere with your product description.

Ken

commercial support - unProtected channel, not to be confused with the forum with same name - open to everyone who need some professional help: either PM/email me, or go to my website (URL can be found in my profile).

over 20 years of computer programming experience.

I have a question about the rewrite for manufacturers. I have had version 2.0b installed for quite some time now, and it works great. I was just doing some SEO work and noticed that it is not rewriting the manufacturers pages.

For instance its still brining up this: /index.php?manufacturers_id=12 instead of rewriting the url. Everything else works perfect, I know that version 2.0b is suppose to rewrite the manufacturers pages.

I also checked the .htaccess file. Which is showing what I would think would be the rewrite rule: RewriteRule ^(.*)-m-(.*).html$ index.php?manufacturers_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}.

Any help getting this fixed would be greatly appreciated!

Hey friends,

When i try to go to my store catalog/index.php in a browser guys while on my localhost i get this error

Fatal error: Call to undefined function tep_image() in C:\Program Files\xampp\oscommerce\catalog\includes\header.php on line 88

Which refer's to this piece of code

<td valign="middle"><?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT) . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'store_logo.png', STORE_NAME) . '</a>'; ?></td>

Anyone got any idea's ???

Thanks in advance

Hi

I'd be really grateful for some feedback I've just installed this contribution and got the following error:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_DOUBLE_ARROW in /home/***/public_html/admin/categories.php on line 83

I've used this contribution before in the past with no problems, however this is the first time I've used it with Header Tags 2.6.3.

Any assistance of either a fix or if anyone knows a header tags contribution that does work with Ultimate SEO URLS I've no problem uninstalling the other one to install an alternative.

Again thank you in advance for help.

Many thanks

Katie

hello guys..

thanx for great contribution..

but im facing a problem in here

and the thing is...

when i enable this contribution and buy any product.. it does not add the order into admin order area.. i mean im not able to see the orders made!!

but when i disable this contribution.. everything is working fine.. it is posting order in backend..

and

i was using IE7 and processed my order.. it was successfully ordered.. but it is not appearing in the backend as well as when i am now loggin back in on firefox.. order is still there in the cart!!

i mean cart was suppose to be empty now.. but my order is still there!!!

wht am i doing wrong because of which order are not placed for admins to see?

please help me on this asap...

thanx in advance

Edited by nahi_sonu

outside links are not allowed in signatures

Got the last thing sorted !!

Now im in to my store but none of the product links are working. Any ideas ???

My static pages are working like about us and conditions ect.....

Just got no products showing all im getting is

Object not found!

The requested URL was not found on this server. The link on the referring page seems to be wrong or outdated. Please inform the author of that page about the error.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

Error 404

Can you guys help ??

Keith

Hi GUYS,

I am new to oscommerce I have installed Ultimate SEO urls the latest version everything works fine. The major problem I am facing when I buy a product it takes me through the checkout process and on the last page " checkout_success.php" when I click continue It again takes me to login page. As far as I know it is creating a new session when I click on checkout_success page.

I have SSL enabled on my website I need to solve this out.

Please help me out.

Thanks

Javed

I've uploaded a new version. The following changes were made:

- Included code for Links Manager links (not my code)

- Added code to handle mis-named urls. For example, if you have a links like http://mysite.com/computers-p-23.html and someone typed in http://mysite.com/someothertext-p-23.html, the link would still work. Now it will redirect to the correct page after issuing a 301 for the url that was entered.

The package I used was the last from Bobby, that I am aware of. It doesn't contain many of the changes others are making. If you just want the above options in your shop and it uses a different version, you will need to merge the seo_class.php file, which is the only one I changed.

Also, be sure to test all of your links once this is installed. It works fine here but I'm sure I didn't test all possibilities.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Hello Jack, and thanks for the update to adhere to your Links Manager contribution. For whatever reason, however, with the latest update, although it works fine when you first go to the English Links page, when I switch to another language (within my Links Manager), I get all these warnings .... cannot modify header information, etc. .... all in the seo_class.php class, around line 1058.

I've checked for whitespace, nothing. Is there a languages fix to this, or might you know the issue? Thanks Jack.

Jason

Simple 1-2-3 Intructions on how to get, install and configure SSL

The Google Sandbox explained

Simple to follow instructions on how to change the look of your OSC

How To Make A Horrible OSC Website

my toolbox: All things WordPress-related - All things Adobe-related - PHP Designer 2007 - Codecanyon Junkie - Crimson Editor - Winmerge - phpMyAdmin - WS_FTP

my installed contributions: Category Banners, File Upload feature-.77, Header Tags, Sort_Product_Attributes_1, XSellv2.3, Price Break 1.11.2, wishlist 3.5, rollover_category_images_v1.2, Short_Description_v2.1, UPSXML_v1_2_3, quickbooks qbi_v2_10, allprods v4.4, Mouseover-effect for image-buttons 1.0, Ultimate_SEO, AAP 1.41, Auto Select State Value, Fast Easy Checkout, Dynamic SiteMap v2.0, Image Magic, Links Manager 1.14, Featured Products, Customer Testimonials, Article Manager, FAQ System, and I'm sure more ...

Okay, this is the second time that it's happened and the second time I've moved to a new host.

The error I get is

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

When I delete my .htaccess file, the page loads but every other page i try to access gives an error 404 code. It was working fine on my last server. When I moved to my last server, It did the same thing and I had to pay someone to fix it. I moved it again, and I have the same problem. If anybody could tell me how to fix it, or what i should look for, or what info you need to help me fix it, please let me know..

Hello Jack, and thanks for the update to adhere to your Links Manager contribution. For whatever reason, however, with the latest update, although it works fine when you first go to the English Links page, when I switch to another language (within my Links Manager), I get all these warnings .... cannot modify header information, etc. .... all in the seo_class.php class, around line 1058.

I've checked for whitespace, nothing. Is there a languages fix to this, or might you know the issue? Thanks Jack.

I don't have a test shop setup with Links Manager and Ultimate SEO so I can't test it right now. The code I added is standard code that has been around for a year or so so I would think it works OK. But maybe no one has tried a different language before. But I just realized that I didn't change the .htaccess file in the last upload to use the rewrite. It may not fix this problem but it should be in there. So in the .htaccess file, add this line
RewriteRule ^(.*)-links-(.*).html$ links.php?lPath=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Okay, this is the second time that it's happened and the second time I've moved to a new host.

The error I get is

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

When I delete my .htaccess file, the page loads but every other page i try to access gives an error 404 code. It was working fine on my last server. When I moved to my last server, It did the same thing and I had to pay someone to fix it. I moved it again, and I have the same problem. If anybody could tell me how to fix it, or what i should look for, or what info you need to help me fix it, please let me know..

Is the location of your shop different than before? The path in the .htaccess file has to be set. The .htaccess file might also have lines in it that are unrelated to Ultimate SEO but are incompatible with your server settings. To isolate that, remove all lines from the .htaccess file except for the Ultimate SEO changes. And, of course, your host has to have the mod rewrite option enabled.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi, first of all, thanks for this great contribution !

I couldn't find my answer in the numerous past posts, so here is my questions :

To make the google sitemaps working, I had to switch the option SEARCH_ENGINE_FRIENDLY_URLS to "true", however, this breaks a number of things, for example : follow up pages on search results, follow up pages in product_new.php , add to cart button in product_new... etc.

Anyone has a suggestion ?

Thanks

I've got another question : one of the changes we made in our oscommerce setting requires additionnal parameters in product_info.php page. Now, I get the following structure for the url http://www.mensway.com/catalog/ceinture-ca...1.html?tab=pics

How can I translate it into http://www.mensway.com/catalog/product_inf...71&tab=pics ?

Thanks !