• Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] Ultimate SEO URLs - by Chemo

Create your own URLs

The modifications in this release allow you to create your own urls for:

1) Products

2) Categories

If you do not set your own url then the url reverts back to being dynamically created.

Contribution: http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,2823

Your online success is Paramount.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Create your own URLs

a) Products

Examples:

www.domain.com/product-name-p-32.html

www.domain.com/product-name-extra-text-p-32.html

www.domain.com/my-text-p-32.html

B) Categories

If you do not set your own url then the url reverts back to being dynamically created.

Create your own URLs

a) Products

Examples:

www.domain.com/product-name-p-32.html

www.domain.com/product-name-extra-text-p-32.html

www.domain.com/my-text-p-32.html

B) Categories

Won't this modification execute additional queries equal to the number of URLs being generated? Do you think this will cause load and performance issues?

Good question.

Not experienced any issues in that regard - but I have now modified the contribution, just uploaded, to roll the information gathering into the already existing queries. So no additional queries are used by this modification.

Please help, after I install new OSC and then install Ultimate SEO I see this under the categories:

1054 - Unknown column 'categories_seo_url' in 'field list'

select categories_seo_url from categories_description where categories_id = '0' and language_id = '0'

[TEP STOP]

Please help

Please help, after I install new OSC and then install Ultimate SEO I see this under the categories:

1054 - Unknown column 'categories_seo_url' in 'field list'

select categories_seo_url from categories_description where categories_id = '0' and language_id = '0'

[TEP STOP]

Please help

Did you run the sql found at the top of the file called additional_install_instructions.txt ?

I meant to add this question to this thread, but I mistakenly started a new thread titled Install Issues. Could anyone take a look at this and give me a heads up before I go through everything?

Thanks,

Kristine

I have installed the Ultimate SEO URLs, everything seems to be working for the most part... however the pages where my product should show on the html page, says page can't be found. I was interupted several times while doing this, so I am sure there is something I skipped or uploaded incorrectly. But I was wondering if anyone could take a look at it and give me a clue where to look, before I start going through it all again.

www.boxgeek.com

Thank you very much,

Kristine

Kristine

Did you add the htaccess file ?

I did. I tried it both ways, because I have it in the catalog directory... however I have the path directed to boxgeek\catalog - so it should appear to be in the root directory. I edited it in notepad, that is the only thing I could get it to open with.

I will play around with the htaccess file some more since that appears to be the issue.

Thanks,

Kristine

PS - I have started working on the site again, so you can't see the example of what it's doing.

Kristine

Also ensure you have mod_rewrite enabled on your server - check with your host.

That is apparently what it is - my hosting company does not support mod_rewrite. - They said they do support

"However, we do support component such as linkfreeze. (http://www.helicontech.com/order/#linkfreeze)

If you want to use linkfreeze, we can set it up for you with one-time $19.95.

Let us know if you would like to go with linkfreeze (and let us know which scheme you would like to use)."

I really like this contribution and want to use it, is there any other way to do so? Can I use the linkfreeze, or anything else?

This is my first shopping cart website, so I am still learning everyday.

Thanks,

Kristine

Kristine

Hi people,

just spent wayyyy too long on a stupid oversight when installing this contribution, so thought I better post it here to save others the trouble.

If you are running Apache on your development machine (I'm running Apache 2) and you're getting 404 errors when trying to click the links in the categories box, you may have overlooked this:

In httpd.conf change the following line in the directory root section (eg. the section starting with <Directory "D:/Apache Group/Apache2/htdocs">):

AllowOverride None

to

AllowOverride All

yyyyyeah........ >_<

oh, a little more obvious - you might want to uncomment the line:

LoadModule rewrite_module modules/mod_rewrite.so

and also move the following line to the top of the Load Module section (apparently php4_module loading can disturb mod_rewrite):

LoadModule php4_module "d:/php/php4apache2.dll"

have fun :thumbsup:

Hello everyone,

Just a quick question:

I have the SEO url module installed on my site and it works great and all the only thing is that when i make a product out of stock the url reverts back to the ugly url for example : product_info.php?cPath=6_63&products_id=1242

Is there a way i can keep my nice seo urls for porducts that are OUT of stock as well? right now only the in stock items have the seo urls

Thank you!

Hello,

Just found this topic after searching almost all day because the previous topics where all dead and I had the idea that there was no support anymore.

I've installed the Ultimate SEO URLs v2.2.1 version and the common problem of the 404-error I solved (changed the .htacces).

The funny thing I run into is that the Continue Button on the Checkout Succes Page suddenly wants to connect to HTTPS instead of HTTP <_<

In my includes\configure.php I have:

define('ENABLE_SSL', false); // secure webserver for checkout procedure?

To solve this problem for now I've changed the HTTPS setting in the same file to:

define('HTTPS_SERVER', 'http://127.0.0.1/source'); // eg, https://localhost - should not be empty for productive servers

Because it was:

define('HTTPS_SERVER', 'https://127.0.0.1/source'); // eg, https://localhost - should not be empty for productive servers

as this is a local test setup.

I appriciate any help on solving this before I transfer the files to my live shop.

Thanks!

Norman in 't Veldt

osCommerce The Netherlands

Hello everyone,

Just a quick question:

I have the SEO url module installed on my site and it works great and all the only thing is that when i make a product out of stock the url reverts back to the ugly url for example : product_info.php?cPath=6_63&products_id=1242

Is there a way i can keep my nice seo urls for porducts that are OUT of stock as well? right now only the in stock items have the seo urls

Thank you!

Have your set the settings for "STOCK" in the configuration section?

FYI I have the following settings -

- Check stock levels - true

- subtract stock - true

When I have a product "offline/out of stock" the url stays the same but a "out of stock " message is displayed.

hope that helps

Hi and thanks a lot for a great contribution! Seems to work just fine althought I have like 40 contributions installed. Two questions;

1, Is it possible for the manufacturer box to use for example category_name_c_49.html right in the code instead of first sending me to index.php?manufacturers_id=49 and after that to category_name_c_49.html. It will slow down the site to redirect all pages. Or have I missed something?

2, Same question as above but in this case with the category menu, $catmenu used in the STS contribution.

Thanks!!

Edited by Fredrik.r

Hi and thanks a lot for a great contribution! Seems to work just fine althought I have like 40 contributions installed. Two questions;

1, Is it possible for the manufacturer box to use for example category_name_c_49.html right in the code instead of first sending me to index.php?manufacturers_id=49 and after that to category_name_c_49.html. It will slow down the site to redirect all pages. Or have I missed something?

2, Same question as above but in this case with the category menu, $catmenu used in the STS contribution.

Thanks!!

Hi,

Firstly, it should already do that with the manufacturers. What version of the script are you using? I would suggest using Chemo's official 2.1d that I uploaded in the contrib area. That is the one that I use and it works well. There seems to be problems with the other versions that people have done (all of which have been solved by installing Chemo's official 2.1d).

However, I see that you mentioned about STS. I have no idea whether Chemo's official 2.1d supports STS or not. What you should do is to try using it, and see whether it works or not. If it doesn't work, try and find out what changes were made with the other version to get it to work with STS, and then try and apply it to Chemo's official one.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Chris

Hi,

Firstly, it should already do that with the manufacturers. What version of the script are you using? I would suggest using Chemo's official 2.1d that I uploaded in the contrib area. That is the one that I use and it works well. There seems to be problems with the other versions that people have done (all of which have been solved by installing Chemo's official 2.1d).

However, I see that you mentioned about STS. I have no idea whether Chemo's official 2.1d supports STS or not. What you should do is to try using it, and see whether it works or not. If it doesn't work, try and find out what changes were made with the other version to get it to work with STS, and then try and apply it to Chemo's official one.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks Chris!

I will compare 2.1d with the one I'm using then.

I used the latest one which also has the addition of adding fields for products and categories in categories.php in admin. I have not yet used that feature though. Does not need that.

Regarding STS, maybe I could modify this code which is the categories menu in STS;

$template['langid'] = $languages_id;

$sts_block_name = 'catmenu';
require(STS_START_CAPTURE);
echo "\n<!-- Start Category Menu -->\n";
echo tep_draw_form('goto', FILENAME_DEFAULT, 'get', '');
echo tep_draw_pull_down_menu('cPath', tep_get_category_tree(), $current_category_id, 'class="droplista" onChange="this.form.submit();"');
echo "</form>\n";
echo "<!-- End Category Menu -->\n";
require(STS_STOP_CAPTURE);
$template[$sts_block_name] = $sts_block[$sts_block_name];

function tep_get_category_tree($parent_id = '0', $spacing = '', $exclude = '', $category_tree_array = '', $include_itself = false) {
global $languages_id;

if (!is_array($category_tree_array)) $category_tree_array = array();
if ( (sizeof($category_tree_array) < 1) && ($exclude != '0') ) $category_tree_array[] = array('id' => '0', 'text' => PULL_DOWN_CATMENU);

if ($include_itself) {
  $category_query = tep_db_query("select cd.categories_name from " . TABLE_CATEGORIES_DESCRIPTION . " cd where cd.language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "' and cd.categories_id = '" . (int)$parent_id . "'");
  $category = tep_db_fetch_array($category_query);
  $category_tree_array[] = array('id' => $parent_id, 'text' => $category['categories_name']);
}

$categories_query = tep_db_query("select c.categories_id, cd.categories_name, c.parent_id from " . TABLE_CATEGORIES . " c, " . TABLE_CATEGORIES_DESCRIPTION . " cd where c.categories_id = cd.categories_id and cd.language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "' and c.parent_id = '" . (int)$parent_id . "' order by c.sort_order, cd.categories_name");
while ($categories = tep_db_fetch_array($categories_query)) {
  if ($exclude != $categories['categories_id']) $category_tree_array[] = array('id' => $categories['categories_id'], 'text' => $spacing . $categories['categories_name']);
  $category_tree_array = tep_get_category_tree($categories['categories_id'], $spacing . '  » ', $exclude, $category_tree_array);
}

return $category_tree_array;
 }

Hi all,

I have a problem with this contribution and i just cant work it out!

When i click the BUY NOW button in the product listing (or featured set contribution) it doesn't do anything because the url has been rewritten, perphap wrong and it also identical for every product on that page?

Strange thing is when i load the shop any featured product on thwe first index page works ok, its just every page after the rewrite i think?

can anyone tell me how to get this working ive searched every forum but cant find a complete answer!

You help is appreciated! :blink:

IN RESPECT TO MY ABOVE POST! :thumbsup:

The version i installed was 2.1

Everthing is working but the buy now buttons.

I installed HEADER TAGS CONTROLLER and made some ajustments there.

Its definatly this contribution causing the issue, i have rolled back through my work and it started when i installed this, but then again i did install the HDC first then made some changes to get them working together, will have to check the changes i made here to see if this helps.

Wish i noticed this bug five contributions ago! :blush:

Please someone out there must be able to help, i bet its simple just cant see the cause!

HELP! :(

Hi,

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Chris!

The install instructions are identical. The only file thats not identical is seo.class.php. I tred with both. This is not a big issue. Are you sure there should be no "redirect" when choosing categories or manufacturers? Should it really be the SEO URL right in the code in manufacturers box and categories box?

Form menus seems to get redirects, even the standard osCommerce ones, like the sort by manufacturer or sort by categories. I want them to have the right SEO URL from the beginning, no redirect from index.php?xxx to SEO URL.

Any suggestions is very appreciated!

Create your own URLs

1) Products

2) Categories

I installed the changes made by Emmett and so far no errors however when I update the URLs I don't see the changes. I have reset SEO URLs cache. What is the correct way to enter the URL in the "Products SEO URL" & "Categories SEO URL" boxes? Should it be "product-description.html" or "product-description" or should I be entering the entire URL, i.e http://www.mydomain.. etc.

Thanks for your help!