• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] Ultimate SEO URLs - by Chemo

Hi Bobby,

I do have the latest redirect installed. I have tried playing around with my configure.php file and I think everything is okay (not seeing the sid in FireFox but still see it in IE).

I have an updated spiders.txt file and I also have Prevent Spider Sessions set to true.

Still haven't resolved this problem.

Could it be a possible contribution conflict? Anything else you can suggest?

Kathy

Me again,

Just check who's online in admin and it shows my url around 300 times mostly as being at /product_info.php?products_id=45{1}6{2}8?osCsid?osCsid?osCsid?os with a few other pages mixed in... any I am not even surfing my website . I have never seen this before... could this be related?

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kathy,

The latest version of Internet Explorer default to COOKIES DISABLED.  This is a default install setting and you must change it to accept cookies or accept cookies from your site.

As a side note, this is a major reason why store owners should fix their configure and forcing customers to have cookies enabled...most customers are not THAT web savvy and will get frustrated at the cookie screen and leave without purchasing.

Bobby

I actually do have cookies enabled and I still get the error message "Redirection limit for this url exceeded. Unable to load the requested page. This may be caused by cookies that are blocked." and still get the sid added in IE.

Me again,

Just check who's online in admin and it shows my url around 300 times mostly as being at /product_info.php?products_id=45{1}6{2}8?osCsid?osCsid?osCsid?os with a few other pages mixed in... any I am not even surfing my website . I have never seen this before... could this be related?

I have a new test version on my dev server located on my pastebin here: http://www.mesoimpact.com/highlight/29

That script will be on the server for a few hours so head over there and paste the TEXT AREA near the bottom. Overwrite the contents of the seo_redirect.php file. Save the file. Test the page again.

If you report back it works for you I'll upload another version tomorrow.

BTW, if you want to get a sneek peek at the next contribution it's also on that same paste bin. My and Chris (clarocque) are working on a joint project :)

Bobby

I have a new test version on my dev server located on my pastebin here: http://www.mesoimpact.com/highlight/29

That script will be on the server for a few hours so head over there and paste the TEXT AREA near the bottom.  Overwrite the contents of the seo_redirect.php file.  Save the file.  Test the page again.

If you report back it works for you I'll upload another version tomorrow.

BTW, if you want to get a sneek peek at the next contribution it's also on that same paste bin.  My and Chris (clarocque) are working on a joint project :)

Bobby

I seems to work for me so far. YEAH!

How about with Erik?

I will check around a bit more and make sure everything else is working okay.

What was the problem?

Thanks a bundle, you are the best!!!!

Kathy

The problem was that the products_id needed to be sanitized with tep_get_prid() which is only needed with URLs generated to or from the shopping cart.

Also, the logic to check for valid parameters needed to be tweaked to turn off the redirect if parameter is not defined in the cache.

Bobby

Sorry for the cross post from the SEO v2.0 forum, but I have a feeling that this shouldhav been the place to post....anyway.

---------------------------------------------------------

I'm having trouble with this one, I have installed:

7 Feb 2005 - Ultimate SEO URLs v2.0b

I'm sure I have followed all steps to the letter but my index page is blank, php_error log says:

[17-Feb-2005 15:26:25] PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 16777216 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 11796480 bytes) in /usr/local/home/httpd/vhtdocs/domain.com/includes/classes/cache.class.php(157) : eval()'d code on line 21846

My store has approx 11000 items in there so it must be ahaving trouble building the cache of files [assumption]

ideas?

john

Edited by johnniefp

I've just noticed that on my product_info pages my buy now buttons, back button, reviews, create pdf button etc have all dissapeared from any product that has NOT got attributes. All products with attibutes are displayed correctly.

Can't understand why... the latest ultimate url's was the last contribution I installed.

I have enable and disable categories installed and it's quite like when I disable a category / product and you get to the product via a new products for month link. all it will show is the product image, the price and the description. nothing else. thats exactly what my product pages are like now, but they are not dissabled.

Is there a conflict between these two contributions?

I searched through the topic but couldn't find an answere to this error

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_CASE in /home/.tabascowasherkiln/badur/bodyartpro.com/store/includes/application_top.php on line 393

Line 393 is as follows

case 'notify' : if (tep_session_is_registered('customer_id')) {

I believe i have everything set correctly and put /store/ in my .htacess file

still getting this error no matter what i change.

I searched through the topic but couldn't find an answere to this error

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_CASE in /home/.tabascowasherkiln/badur/bodyartpro.com/store/includes/application_top.php on line 393

Line 393 is as follows

case 'notify' : if (tep_session_is_registered('customer_id')) {

I believe i have everything set correctly and put /store/ in my .htacess file

still getting this error no matter what i change.

Most likely the actual error is higher in your code...look for any strange characters after the code that was pasted.

Bobby

I apologize Bobby, I thought the idea behind this contrib was for better SEO.  WHen you search for your keywords, I am pretty sure I could produce the same results using nothing but a stock osC install and properly producing about 800 words of unique text and a 5% density and BAM be #1 for all searches. 

When somone actually has a keyword that has competition and can provide page #1 results..then that is something to look at as 'true' results.

When .php ending files are being ranked highest (which are policy and conditions) that says something.  It implicates a 'true' shortened url is golden over the stock version.  Installing a contrib such as yours which claims better SEO and taking much time to ensure it is working properly - surely lends  merit to the purpose of this thread and SEO discussion..after all...it is why we are installing this?

I will however leave your thread and bid you good luck...

S

I guess I can't let this one go unanswered...

What the heck is wrong with you people? All this guy (Bobbie) is doing is trying to help you (for free I might add). Encourage and lead and maybe we can expand on this rather the negitive attitude I see in certain posts. I myself will stick with Bobbies contrib and have produced some excellent results (maybe just luck? maybe not however?) you decide, I already have! Thanks Bobbie.

Here's some kw proof you asked for...

my site: Go Karts R us

Try a google search for my main kw's: Manco Go Karts | Manco Go Carts | Manco Mini Bikes | Manco Parts ? Dinli Parts | Dinli ATV | or just about anything Dinli I will be in the top 5 easily on all.

now let's try a very heavily desired kw in my field (I think close to 60,000 searches a month on google): go carts, and also go karts

You will see my site (gokartsrus.com) in the top 5 (or even some #1's) on all mentioned. I have many more kw's at the same level or higher ...not bragging but just giving some pure kw testimonials (compliments) to Bobbie!. NOW..... I know you will say that it would have happened without Bobbies Contrib but I must say I could not get into the top 200 for the kw's go carts and go karts before ...luck? hmmm, it seems pretty funny it was about 2 weeks after I did his contrib (I use ver 1.2 by the way) and I have Header Tags Controller and SEO Sitemap installed as a compliment. I have been at this ranking game since 1998, with this certainly my best results, and true I have tweaked & peaked for ever & ever but why did it just happen?

So Cheers to someone out there who not only tries to improve on SEO with osC but also supports his work more than any other I've seen on here. (period)

KJ Miller (site owner, admin) gokartsrus.com | millerstruevalue.com

define('PROJECTS', 'Something that goes on forever!');

What the heck is wrong with you people? All this guy (Bobbie) is doing is trying to help you (for free I might add). Encourage and lead and maybe we can expand on this rather the negitive attitude I see in certain posts. I myself will stick with Bobbies contrib and have produced some excellent results (maybe just luck? maybe not  however?) you decide, I already have! Thanks Bobbie.

Try a google search for my main kw's: Manco Go Karts | Manco Go Carts | Manco Mini Bikes | Manco Parts ? Dinli Parts | Dinli ATV | or just about anything Dinli I will be in the top 5 easily on all.

now let's try a very heavily desired kw in my field (I think close to 60,000 searches a month on google): go carts, and also go karts

You will see my site (gokartsrus.com) in the top 5 (or even some #1's) on all mentioned. I have many more kw's at the same level or higher ...not bragging but just giving some pure kw testimonials (compliments) to Bobbie!. NOW..... I know you will say that it would have happened without Bobbies Contrib but I must say I could not get into the top 200 for the kw's go carts and go karts before  ...luck? hmmm, it seems pretty funny it was about 2 weeks after I did his contrib (I use ver 1.2 by the way) and I have Header Tags Controller and SEO Sitemap installed as a compliment. I have been at this ranking game since 1998, with this certainly my best results, and true I have tweaked & peaked for ever & ever but why did it just happen?

So Cheers to someone out there who not only tries to improve on SEO with osC but also supports his work more than any other I've seen on here. (period)

Way to go Top Speed! Glad this contribution (and the sitemap + header tags) has worked for you. I just got everything installed correctly, so can wait to see what results it brings,

I am another Bobby supporter as his contributions seem well documented, fill a need and Bobby is very good about providing support (in a very friendly and helpful way).

Will let you guys know if I see any results in the next few weeks or so...

Kathy

What the heck is wrong with you people? All this guy (Bobbie) is doing is trying to help you (for free I might add). Encourage and lead and maybe we can expand on this rather the negitive attitude I see in certain posts. I myself will stick with Bobbies contrib and have produced some excellent results (maybe just luck? maybe not  however?) you decide, I already have! Thanks Bobbie.

You will see my site (gokartsrus.com) in the top 5 (or even some #1's) on all mentioned. I have many more kw's at the same level or higher ...not bragging but just giving some pure kw testimonials (compliments) to Bobbie!. NOW..... I know you will say that it would have happened without Bobbies Contrib but I must say I could not get into the top 200 for the kw's go carts and go karts before  ...luck? hmmm, it seems pretty funny it was about 2 weeks after I did his contrib (I use ver 1.2 by the way) and I have Header Tags Controller and SEO Sitemap installed as a compliment. I have been at this ranking game since 1998, with this certainly my best results, and true I have tweaked & peaked for ever & ever but why did it just happen?

I dont want hi-jack anyones thread, but since the owner of the thread did just that in anothers - I will at least comment on this:

-First your 'main keyword' search is by far not what most consider a high search keyword. Your highest search keyword is probably 20th on my list for the amount searched. My main keyword is 26million.

-Second - your website is VERY RICH (and nice I might add) with content. Lots and LOTS of on topic content. Placed perfectly for SEO. Your links are all related and you have a decent amount.

-->YOUR methods of SEO took your page where it is. If the contribution took you a few spaces higher, then I suggest a donation to the writer of this contribution. Have you? I have already made donations to several very useful programs and contribs. This one didn't work out for me, for the other guy - it just might. Maybe I will install a later version that works better. Maybe my version didnt' work proprely as it was much older and I was instructed that upgrading wouldn't help.

If you think I was here to bash someone, based on someones response to my post - then that is your decision to make. I however felt it was necessary to discuss the viability of this contribution in regards to SEO. I see no contributions on the TOP websites in my game, and they are doing JUST fine.

I have yet to hear of or see someone with at least a 1 million search keyword tell me they have done nothing else but add this contribution or another SEO URL contributioin - that has single handedly taken their website up in ratings. If anything, I have probably 5 PMS from people that suggest the same issues as I do, but because of the attitude of the author, are afraid to suggest them.

S

I have yet to hear of or see someone with at least a 1 million search keyword tell me they have done nothing else but add this contribution or another SEO URL contributioin - that has single handedly taken their website up in ratings.  If anything, I have probably 5 PMS from people that suggest the same issues as I do, but because of the attitude of the author, are afraid to suggest them. 

S, just FYI - for SEO, I have really just done what you say, add this contrib and the site map. To my knowledge, googlebot hasn't recently fully indexed my site, but on a key phrase with 500,000+ hits (ear threads), my site, Aspiring Arts, jumped to #13. On other keywords, like jewelry, with 88,000,000+ results, I still can't find my site. Sure it's there, just don't know the tool to find it! ;) Also, my catalog page got a pagerank of 2, up from 1, in the last couple of days, without my exchanging any new links in a couple of months.

Hope that helps!

Susan

I dont want hi-jack anyones thread, but since the owner of the thread did just that in anothers - I will at least comment on this:

Scott, the "owner" of this thread is the osCommerce community. You imply in your opening statement that I somehow have some stake or ownership in the information contained in this public domain archive. That is not so. The information and contribution is free to all store owners no matter their level of experience, success at search engine optimization, or even gratitude for the many hours of my time that went into coding/maintenance/support.

I understand that you may feel jaded about my honest replies and/or your lack of immediate results with the contribution. However, I am not here to make buddies or lie to store owners. My replies are not always what people want to hear (both forum and team members alike) but I will never be accused of having a lack of integrity. I convey my opinion or assessment as clear and concisely as possible using the least number of keystrokes.

-->YOUR methods of SEO took your page where it is.

...and one day you will learn about SEO as well. When you do you will realize that SEO URLs are not the solve all answer but rather just another tool in the tool box. How can you build a house if you only have a few pieces of wood, 1 nail, and a saw?

I suggest you go to http://seochat.com and read until your brain hurts...then read some more. You will learn that there are many pieces of the SEO puzzle: content, hold old the page is, linking strategies, keyword densities, URLs, and too many others to list in one reply.

Don't blame the contribution for your lack of results. Blame your lack of knowledge and experience.

I however felt it was necessary to discuss the viability of this contribution in regards to SEO.  I see no contributions on the TOP websites in my game, and they are doing JUST fine.

Once again your lack of knowledge prevents you from making intelligent comments about this contribution and SEO techniques.

If you want to discuss osCommerce you come to the osCommece forum. If you want to discuss SEO you go to http://seochat.com. Have you ever wondered why? Sounds like a rhetorical question but is valid: because you will receive peer reviewed comments from those that have experiece with the general topic. This ensures you will receive a general consensus reply to your query and will most likely be a valid return.

Let me propose this: go sign up for an account of seochat.com Once you have done this post your thread and I'll answer any question you have about SEO and this contribution. This will provide instant feedback from not only myself but those that specialize in SEO. You think my assessments and feedback is incorrect? Let's take it to seochat.com where there will be 20K members reading the thread...if I post something that is not correct someone will step in with current information. However, if you post similiar replies to what you have posted on this thread you will receive 20k members telling you that you are incorrect. There is something magical to hearing the voice of 20K people telling you that your views and information is incorrect rather than one person.

I have yet to hear of or see someone with at least a 1 million search keyword tell me they have done nothing else but add this contribution or another SEO URL contributioin - that has single handedly taken their website up in ratings.

Do you know why? Go ask on seochat.com how long it typically takes for an SEO modification to mature and be realized in the SERPs. For your site I estimate at least 1 or 2 Google updates. For KJ Miller's site it may happen in less than a week. Why the time difference? Go ask on seochat.com...maybe that little bit of knowledge may help shed some light.

If anything, I have probably 5 PMS from people that suggest the same issues as I do, but because of the attitude of the author, are afraid to suggest them. 

Scott, as I have typed above I'm not here to make buddies or lie to store owners. If you want hand holding I'm not a likely candidate.

My performance goal is to provide top level support and allow no more than 24 hours to elapse before typing a reply. Doesn't sound too hard? Remember, I am active on not only this forum but at least 20 or 30 more. Also, I receive about 400-500 emails, PMs, and instant messages daily...all of which get replies. This is why I don't give long winded replies...I would never get through my daily quota.

If others are afraid to ask or post a reply then I say to them that if they have searched this thread and forum for the answer first I will reply without malice. However, if they have not taken the time to help themselves I will correct their deficiency with the fewest keystrokes possible. What? They should not have to help themselves first? Then get as far away from me as possible so I can help the others that do.

Bobby

Way to go Top Speed! Glad this contribution (and the sitemap + header tags) has worked for you. I just got everything installed correctly, so can wait to see what results it brings,

I am another Bobby supporter as his contributions seem well documented, fill a need and Bobby is very good about providing support (in a very friendly and helpful way).

Will let you guys know if I see any results in the next few weeks or so...

Kathy

This might be very unrelated to this contribution or any of the other seo contributions that I have recently installed... but it could be... so have to ask:

Under admin/tools/who's online

I sometimes see my url many times i.e. 4 times on the same page but with different sids. Does anyone else get this or is it just me or by design or so on. I never noticed this before. Now, it could be that I had that page open more than once and stuff like that (but sure wouldn't have had it open more than twice)... but something just seems different than before. Plus, last night I saw that my url was showing up around 300 times (not sure at that point if it was the same or different sid... might have been the same then. Unfortunately I can't update my stats on cpanel as there are some issues there with my webserver.

Actually I am looking at my who's online now (a bit later than when I started this post) and now see 43 customers online (all me and some for various pages, but a lot for the same ones... something is definately different. I did have two different windows open looking at different pages of my site... but normally I would just see my ip list twice (one for each page that I am looking at).

I am have to wait for my cpanel stats to update as my hosting company now won't allow the update button (something to do with server bandwidth)... so can't check there to see right now and haven't spotted anything in my logs as of yet, but I am very tired and find it painly going through all that text.

Any ideas? Could this be related to the contribution or maybe a cache issue or something?

Thanks,

Kathy

This might be very unrelated to this contribution or any of the other seo contributions that I have recently installed... but it could be... so have to ask:

Under admin/tools/who's online

I sometimes see my url many times i.e. 4 times on the same page but with different sids. Does anyone else get this or is it just me or by design or so on. I never noticed this before.  Now, it could be that I had that page open more than once and stuff like that (but sure wouldn't have had it open more than twice)... but something just seems different than before. Plus, last night I saw that my url was showing up around 300 times (not sure at that point if it was the same or different sid... might have been the same then. Unfortunately I can't update my stats on cpanel as there are some issues there with my webserver.

Actually I am looking at my who's online now (a bit later than when I started this post) and now see 43 customers online (all me and some for various pages, but a lot for the same ones... something is definately different. I did have two different windows open looking at different pages of my site... but normally I would just see my ip list twice (one for each page that I am looking at).

I am have to wait for my cpanel stats to update as my hosting company now won't allow the update button (something to do with server bandwidth)... so can't check there to see right now and haven't spotted anything in my logs as of yet, but I am very tired and find it painly going through all that text.

Any ideas? Could this be related to the contribution or maybe a cache issue or something?

Thanks,

Kathy

Okay, everytime I refresh the who's online page I see another customer added to the list... ME! The same ip address and the same file name over and over and I am not even surfing my website at all... not even once. I have a few customers or spiders surfing my site right now and everything seems okay for them I guess. Though for one customer it shows them twice, once looking at my index page and once for flavicon.ico... funny enough that is what I am supposedly looking at right now... flavicon.ico. Very strange behaviour and I only started seeing this yesterday... Help... it is driving me crazy!

Kathy

Okay, everytime I refresh the who's online page I see another customer added to the list... ME! The same ip address and the same file name over and over and I am not even surfing my website at all... not even once. I have a few customers or spiders surfing my site right now and everything seems okay for them I guess. Though for one customer it shows them twice, once looking at my index page and once for flavicon.ico... funny enough that is what I am supposedly looking at right now... flavicon.ico. Very strange behaviour and I only started seeing this yesterday... Help... it is driving me crazy!

Kathy

Me again,

Bobby I know that you fixed a problem for me earlier regarding the product links in the shopping cart not working. They work now but what seems to happen is if I view my shopping cart and then click on the product link to have another look at the product... the product gets removed from the shopping cart.

Kathy

Me again,

Bobby I know that you fixed a problem for me earlier regarding the product links in the shopping cart not working. They work now but what seems to happen is if I view my shopping cart and then click on the product link to have another look at the product... the product gets removed from the shopping cart.

Kathy

Kathy,

I just tested on my dev server which is using the patch Bobby posted above in his pastebin and I am not having this problem. You might want to look into something else. I know that is not an answer, but I don't think it is the SEO causing as I am unable to duplicate your issue.

Chris

osC Contributions I have published.

Note: Some I only provided minor changes, updates or additions!

Hi...

I have a small bug.....

When i am in a sub category in the side menu, the links does not get rewritten but shows as http://www.mywebsite.com/index.php?cPath=2_2_21

Anyone expireinced this or even better have a fix?

:rolleyes:

Ok I found out that it wasn't a conflict with enable/disable categories. I stripped out the code for it but nothing changed, still no buy now buttons on products without attributes in product_info. Next to strip out was the product not found contribution. Now everything works fine. Dont know why that would mess up my product info page after installing ultimate seo but it did. So hmm let me think.... which contribution out of the two do I want..... Errr.. Oh go on then I'll go with the SEO lol.

Wins out by a mile :)

How would i change the seo_cache.php file to only display the subcategory name when browsing a subcategory and not append the parent cat. name to the beginning of the url?

Other than this, it all works great except the manufacturer name doesnt appear in the url. I assume this will be addressed in a future release?

Hi...

I have a small bug.....

When i am in a sub category in the side menu, the links does not get rewritten but shows as http://www.mywebsite.com/index.php?cPath=2_2_21

Anyone expireinced this or even better have a fix?

:rolleyes:

Could it be that your categories box is cached? Try to reset the cache and check it again.

Admin control panel -> Tools -> Cache Control -> Reset the Categories Box

Bobby

Hi,

this site is currently not using any catching functions.....

The menu is not the standard osc menu, but this one...Greate Categories

might it be because the main category id is also included in the link to the sub category...

http://www.mywebsite.com/index.php?cPath=2_2_21

instead of..

http://www.mywebsite.com/index.php?cPath=2_21

Edited by toyicebear