• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] Ultimate SEO URLs - by Chemo

I have 643 listings in MSN.  I changed certain things on my webpage to ensure that when I did get listings, they were AFTER I installed Ultimate SEO.  I haven't seen anyone post in here as to whether or not this contrib is doing what it was meant to so I guess I'll be the first of the news so far.  If you want, I will send you my MSN search for our website so you can see it for yourselves. 

Further, the issue of whether osCsid's are being appended to the URLs due the the SEO contribution has been settled...it is NOT causing osCsid's to be cached.

To end the debate once and for all I coded a spider simulator that sends a choice of user agent: Googlebot, Chemo's Spider, or Firefox (regular customer).

Googlebot: no sids

My spider: no sids

Firefox: SIDS APPENDED

The tool can be used here: Chemo's osC Search Engine Spider - Beta

Don't take my word for it...try it yourself.

Bobby

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, I just installed this module. I am having a bit of a problem if someone could help please.

I followed all steps closely, when I did step 2 Install database settings, Instead of getting a confirmation that is was sucessfull, I got a message about cookies were not enabled on browser, So I reset my browser to enable cookies and proceeded on to next steps and completed install and file modifications. Now my site has this message:

1146 - Table 'abuata_wholesale.cache' doesn't exist

DELETE FROM cache WHERE cache_expires <= '2005-02-06 11:10:12'

[TEP STOP]

I don't know what I did wrong here this seemed to be a pretty easy module compared to some others I done. I was nervous at STEP 8 .htaccess part, but what I did was option 8 (1b) my .htaccess file is in /catalog/ folder. This part is very confusing to me.

Please help for my site is down and I am new at OSC

Thanks

www.wholesalewoodentoys.com

Carla

Chemo

Great contribution - thanks a lot

Just one small problem i would like to see addressed

When i go to my products the address bar shows this

www.mystore.com/product_info.php?pName=this-product-line--black

can i remove the hyphens so it looks like this

www.mystore.com/product_info.php?pName=this product line - black

thanks

mark

Edited by crash3903

Regards

Mark A Reynolds

#####################################################################
#   DO NOT EDIT BELOW THIS POINT UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING  #

by

#   DO NOT EDIT BELOW THIS POINT UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU\'RE DOING  #

That is no error - that is all commented - maybe it should read

#   DO NOT EDIT ABOVE OR BELOW THIS POINT UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING  #

I am just picking.... - it should not matter as it is all commented out.

Thanks for your reply Chris. Do you have any idea on how to solve my problem with the (') in the title. All the fixes proposed didn't solve it.

Thanks again!

OSC2.2

Bobby,

I'd really love to get your contribution working, and appreciate your talents, but have been pulling my hair out over it. Now 3.59am in the UK. :'(

2 problems I have (could be related).

1. When I go to my homepage, I get:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: tep_output_string() in /******/public_html/catalog/catalog/includes/functions/html_output.php

on line 80

2. On "Step 6 (1) Find this code - admin/categories.php"

The code to find isn't in the(my) file categories.php.

I'd appreciate any help.

Cheers!

Tom

Can anyone help? (I'm happy to make a donation if it works)

I've reading this thread and think I would like to try installing but I know very little php. I have been able to install contributions and modifications (working at it for hours) How easy is this for someone with very little code knoweledge.

I am currently using the Yasu contribution so I will start with undoing this.

I have lost my page rank so I am going to start my seo fresh. I am using the Multi-shop contribution so currently I have a catalog folder but wonder if it would be better to move the folder to the root. What affects will this have. I will have more shops (subdomains) added later but am more interested in the best SEO I can get for this shop.

What is the best sitemap to use with this contribution?

Thanks for all your work

Elizabeth

Chemo

Great contribution - thanks a lot

Just one small problem i would like to see addressed

When i go to my products the address bar shows this

can i remove the hyphens so it looks like this

thanks

mark

Mark, I can tell you how to do that but I don't think you really want to.

I am not sure if it will find the product - I think it will as it is rewriting and still using ID (not sure) but as a bigger issue your URL will render as:

www.mystore.com/product_info.php?pName=this%20roduct%20line%20-%20black

As a rule of thum you do NOT want space in URLs

Edited by clarocque

osC Contributions I have published.

Note: Some I only provided minor changes, updates or additions!

Bobby,

When I run that utility you create - which is of course saved to favorites - very nice! I get the proper urls with google but still have session ids appeneded to the end of the html urls when I search using your spider.

http://mesoimpact.com/spider/index.php?url...677c76b95411ebe

interesting information you've provided about the backed links. I was once crawled and indexed and I have noticed that I have a TON of temp redirects in my stats. 66.6% actually of all my hits are from temp redirects yet i dont have any temp redirects setup via my host, only one permanent one from when I first put the store up and then moved it to root from /catalog. That's probably where it's coming from then!

HMMMMMMMm

As far as the session ids with your spider, I'm stumped on that one but the Google one shows everything proper.

S

That is no error - that is all commented - maybe it should read

#   DO NOT EDIT ABOVE OR BELOW THIS POINT UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING  #

I am just picking.... - it should not matter as it is all commented out.

Thanks for your reply Chris. Do you have any idea on how to solve my problem with the (') in the title. All the fixes proposed didn't solve it.

Thanks again!

Where is there a live page where I can see it?

osC Contributions I have published.

Note: Some I only provided minor changes, updates or additions!

Hi Bobby,

I turned the SEF URLs Option off -> it works now in the rewrite mode but it still doesn?t switch to the right product in cname mode.

Adding to the cart works now fine also in rewrite mode.

Ernst

I would suggest upgrading to the 2.0 version which has seamless integration with languages. It was tested on a store with 6 langugages installed and works great...although the upgrade directions need to be more clear. So, hold off for a few days until I can get another release uploaded with separate upgrade directions.

Hi, I just installed this module.  I am having a bit of a problem if someone could help please.

I followed all steps closely, when I did step 2 Install database settings, Instead of getting a confirmation that is was sucessfull, I got a message about cookies were not enabled on browser, So I reset my browser to enable cookies and proceeded on to next steps and completed install and file modifications.  Now my site has this message:

1146 - Table 'abuata_wholesale.cache' doesn't exist

DELETE FROM cache WHERE cache_expires <= '2005-02-06 11:10:12'

[TEP STOP]

I don't know what I did wrong here this seemed to be a pretty easy module compared to some others I done.  I was nervous at STEP 8 .htaccess part, but what I did was option 8 (1b) my .htaccess file is in /catalog/  folder.    This part is very confusing to me. 

Please help for my site is down and I am new at OSC

Thanks

www.wholesalewoodentoys.com

Carla

Comment out the code in application_top.php that initializes the class. Then, run the install-cache.php script. After you run the script go back to application_top.php and uncomment the code and save.

Can anyone help? (I'm happy to make a donation if it works)

I bet you are using an old MS1 store...if you are the code changes are slightly different but mostly the same. To get around the error just download an MS2 package and get the tep_output_string function.

Bobby,

When I run that utility you create - which is of course saved to favorites - very nice!  I get the proper urls with google but still have session ids appeneded to the end of the html urls when I search using your spider. 

http://mesoimpact.com/spider/index.php?url...677c76b95411ebe

interesting information you've provided about the backed links.  I was once crawled and indexed and I have noticed that I have a TON of temp redirects in my stats.  66.6% actually of all my hits are from temp redirects yet i dont have any temp redirects setup via my host, only one permanent one from when I first put the store up and then moved it to root from /catalog.  That's probably where it's coming from then!

HMMMMMMMm

As far as the session ids with your spider, I'm stumped on that one but the Google one shows everything proper.

S

Most likely it does not suppress the osCsid's because you do not have a generic spider entry in the spiders.txt file. Make sure your spiders.txt file has an entry that says "spider".

Bobby

I bet you are using an old MS1 store...if you are the code changes are slightly different but mostly the same.  To get around the error just download an MS2 package and get the tep_output_string function.

Nope, I'm using MS2, but you sure were right, that function was missing. Should anyone else need to know it should be in catalog/general.php. I now don't get the error.

However, when I click a latest product (etc.) I get the URL:

http://www.mydomain.comdir_ws_http_catalog...ame=scx-digital

Whilst clicking a category goes to:

http://www.mydomain.comdir_ws_http_catalog....php/?cPath=212

My site structure is in the form of www.mydomain.com/catalog/catalog/default.php.

In www.mydomain.com/catalog/catalog/.htaccess I have put the code:

RewriteEngine On

# Change "folder" to your catalog directory name

RewriteBase /catalog/catalog/

RewriteRule ^(.*)-p-(.*).html$ product_info.php?products_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-c-(.*).html$ index.php?cPath=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-m-(.*).html$ index.php?manufacturers_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

Would love to get it going. If so, it's going on a fresh site, so will be interesting to show the SEO effects of it to everyone else here.

Mark,  I can tell you how to do that but I don't think you really want to.

I am not sure if it will find the product - I think  it will as it is rewriting and still using ID (not sure) but as a bigger issue your URL will render as:

www.mystore.com/product_info.php?pName=this%20roduct%20line%20-%20black

As a rule of thum you do NOT want space in URLs

thanks - thought that might be the case

regards

mark

Regards

Mark A Reynolds

Hello Chemo,

I have installed your great contribution and all is working fine without errors except that I have to use 'Forced Cookies' to be able to get rid of the

?osCsid=54ac0183bb611511070eda8e9316872f

This mode prompts anyone who adds some artikel thru 'buy now' to enable cookies. This isn't good for the store.

Please help me out!

Thanx

Nope, I'm using MS2, but you sure were right, that function was missing. Should anyone else need to know it should be in catalog/general.php. I now don't get the error.

However, when I click a latest product (etc.) I get the URL:

http://www.mydomain.comdir_ws_http_catalog...ame=scx-digital

Whilst clicking a category goes to:

http://www.mydomain.comdir_ws_http_catalog....php/?cPath=212

My site structure is in the form of www.mydomain.com/catalog/catalog/default.php.

In www.mydomain.com/catalog/catalog/.htaccess I have put the code:

RewriteEngine On

# Change "folder" to your catalog directory name

RewriteBase /catalog/catalog/

RewriteRule ^(.*)-p-(.*).html$ product_info.php?products_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-c-(.*).html$ index.php?cPath=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

RewriteRule ^(.*)-m-(.*).html$ index.php?manufacturers_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

Would love to get it going. If so, it's going on a fresh site, so will be interesting to show the SEO effects of it to everyone else here.

You are using an MS1 release. There is no doubt about it. I am 100% sure. Can I add any more comments to convince you are using an MS1 releaese?

In MS1 there was no function that you had to imort. Secondly, you're having a DIR_WS_HTTP_CATALOG problem which was introduced in MS2 andhas a small code snippet in application top to handle it in MS2. Third, MS2 uses index.php and ONLY MS1 used default.php

So, you are on an MS1 release.

Hello Chemo,

I have installed your great contribution and all is working fine without errors except that I have to use 'Forced Cookies' to be able to get rid of the

?osCsid=54ac0183bb611511070eda8e9316872f

This mode prompts anyone who adds some artikel thru 'buy now' to enable cookies. This isn't good for the store.

Please help me out!

Thanx

Check your configure.php file and make sure the cookie domain is set for .yourdomain.com (notice the period in front and no WWW or http in the scope).

Bobby

Hi Chris, Hi Chemo,

I found where was laying my problem. When I turn off the "buy two" module, ultimate seo url's works fine for all the products even if the product's title starts like that (l').

I guess Buy_Two_Module has some bugs with Chemo's contribution.

Sorry Chemo, your contribution was working :blush: . Actually this is Buy_Two_Module that is not totally compatible.

Do you have any idea on how to have them work together?

Thanks again and my apologize for having been misleading in my postes.

OSC2.2

Hey everybody. This is a great contribution, but I am already seeing one problem...indexing for search engines. It appears that most engines and lookup software still see the HTML pages as having no title or meta tags. Anyone else notice this?! I am curious if there is a workaround. Any ideas?

-Aaron

Hi Chris, Hi Chemo,

I found where was laying my problem. When I turn off the "buy two" module, ultimate seo url's works fine for all the products even if the product's title starts like that (l').

I guess Buy_Two_Module has some bugs with Chemo's contribution.

Sorry Chemo, your contribution was working  :blush: . Actually this is Buy_Two_Module that is not totally compatible.

Do you have any idea on how to have them work together?

Thanks again and my apologize for having been misleading in my postes.

I'm not familiar with that contribution so can't be of any help...sorry.

Hey everybody. This is a great contribution, but I am already seeing one problem...indexing for search engines. It appears that most engines and lookup software still see the HTML pages as having no title or meta tags. Anyone else notice this?! I am curious if there is a workaround. Any ideas?

-Aaron

The Ultimate SEO URLs contribution is nothing more than an URL wrapper...so if you pages don't have meta tags then none will be picked up. If you have a Header Tag Controller installed it will function correctly. I have this installed on more client sites than I can count and all of their installations work correctly with header tags controller.

Bobby

-Aaron

Hi Aaron,

Can you tell me what you are using for the lookup software etc? This is very interesting.

Thanks,

Paul

PS. Or anyone else for that matter. What are you using for search engine emulation? To see what the search engines will see.

Edited by Fourbit

I'm not familiar with that contribution so can't be of any help...sorry.

Thanks for your reply Chemo!

I'm gonna work on it and post the fix if I find it!!!

Thanks so much for your contribution and you availability. :thumbsup:

Best regards.

OSC2.2