• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Shipping fees for physical and virtual products

rdoolin

We sell physical music CD's and digital downloads. We have enabled free shipping for

digital items. However, when a customer orders both a CD and a virtual product our

shipping module calculates the cost to be as through they have ordered 2 CDs. When

the order is for virtual products only it works fine. Anyone else have a similar issue?

Thanks, Rick

Huh. I just posted a message about pretty much the same thing. Except you are one step ahead of me, it seems.

We, too, see CD's and are just now getting into virtual / downloaded ones. How are you getting virtual items to not have shipping? Regardless of combination orders, our virtual items always include shipping (which we DO NOT want).

We sell physical music CD's and digital downloads.  We have enabled free shipping for

digital items.  However, when a customer orders both a CD and a virtual product our

shipping module calculates the cost to be as through they have ordered 2 CDs.  When

the order is for virtual products only it works fine.  Anyone else have a similar issue?

Thanks,  Rick

Huh. I just posted a message about pretty much the same thing. Except you are one step ahead of me, it seems.

We, too, see CD's and are just now getting into virtual / downloaded ones. How are you getting virtual items to not have shipping? Regardless of combination orders, our virtual items always include shipping (which we DO NOT want).

When you introduce the virtual products into the catalog set there weight value to 0.00 that way no postage cost will incure on that product on check out.

( WARNING )

I think I know what Im talking about.

BACK UP BACK UP BACK UP BACK UP

• 2 years later...
When you introduce the virtual products into the catalog set there weight value to 0.00 that way no postage cost will incure on that product on check out.

hi..I have the same problem...I also think you'll are missing what the real problem is.

SIMPLY:

the shipping cost goes like this...

Virtual products only ...No shipping cost applied

Physical products only ....Shipping cost applied

Physical and Virtual Products in cart...Shipping cost applied to both.

This is the problem

Can any one help? We do not want shipping applied to virtual products!!! :angry:

hi..I have the same problem...I also think you'll are missing what the real problem is.

SIMPLY:

the shipping cost goes like this...

Virtual products only ...No shipping cost applied

Physical products only ....Shipping cost applied

Physical and Virtual Products in cart...Shipping cost applied to both.

This is the problem

Can any one help? We do not want shipping applied to virtual products!!! :angry:

How are your shipping charges calculated? By weight, per product, flat rate.... ?

Do, or do not. There is no try.

Order Editor 5.0.6 "Ultra Violet" is now available!

For support or to post comments, suggestions, etc, please visit the Order Editor support thread.

You could try the Zero Weight Skips Shipping contribution.

It is very frustrating when people do not read my previous statements.

I said : per Item mod does not work with weight.

Also ...Purchasing a Physical Product ALONE incurs shipping charges

Purchasing a Virtual or Download Product ALONE does not incur shipping charges

Purchasing a Physical and a Virtual or Download product TOGETHER..Shipping charges is multiply by two(2). In other words shipping charges are applied to the Download.

This is the problem. Can anyone assist in this matter. I would be very grateful.

Thanks

It is very frustrating when people do not read my previous statements.

I said : per Item mod does not work with weight.

Also ...Purchasing a Physical Product ALONE incurs shipping charges

Purchasing a Virtual or Download Product ALONE does not incur shipping charges

Purchasing a Physical and a Virtual or Download product TOGETHER..Shipping charges is multiply by two(2). In other words shipping charges are applied to the Download.

This is the problem. Can anyone assist in this matter. I would be very grateful.

Thanks

How about this: PER ITEM SHIPPING DOESN'T WORK WITH VIRTUAL PRODUCTS

The only way to do what you want to do is to use Multi Vendor Shipping, a huge mod for what is really a very simple problem that many, many people have already addressed simply by using weight based shipping methods.

But feel free to continue banging your head against the wall for no good reason.

For support or to post comments, suggestions, etc, please visit the Order Editor support thread.

how about this one:

In your catalog\includes\modules\shipping\item.php locate this code:

function quote($method = '') {
  global $order, $total_count;

$this->quotes = array('id' => $this->code,
						'module' => MODULE_SHIPPING_ITEM_TEXT_TITLE,
						'methods' => array(array('id' => $this->code,
												 'title' => MODULE_SHIPPING_ITEM_TEXT_WAY,
												 'cost' => (MODULE_SHIPPING_ITEM_COST * $total_count) + MODULE_SHIPPING_ITEM_HANDLING)));

change it to

function quote($method = '') {
  global $order, $total_count;

$weight_items = 0;
  for($i=0, $j=count($order->products); $i<$j; $i++) {
	if( $order->products[$i]['weight'] > 0 ) {
	  $weight_items++;
	}
  }

$this->quotes = array('id' => $this->code,
						'module' => MODULE_SHIPPING_ITEM_TEXT_TITLE,
						'methods' => array(array('id' => $this->code,
												 'title' => MODULE_SHIPPING_ITEM_TEXT_WAY,
												 'cost' => (MODULE_SHIPPING_ITEM_COST * $weight_items) + MODULE_SHIPPING_ITEM_HANDLING)));

haven't tested it or anything.

how about this one:

In your catalog\includes\modules\shipping\item.php locate this code:

change it to

haven't tested it or anything.

Well, um, yeah, if you actually modify the per item module to incorporate weight, sure... :-"

Edited by djmonkey1

• 3 years later...

Same issue here... I tried editing item.php to add the weight handling. Great idea, and works well if I have one item with no weight, and one with weight of 1... But if I have 5 items with weight of 1 each, the shipping is still only 1.50 total, instead of 7.50 (1.50 x 5). Is something wrong with how this calculates weight?