• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

CC in the UK?

Yuck

Hi,

I'm currently looking at various payment options for credit cards, Worldpay, Nochex etc.

I'm new to ecommerce and wondered what other UK traders use? Are there any pitfalls, and what integrates best with OSC? A lot of questions I know but any help is much appreciated :)

Thx.

Worldpay is the most popular processor. Paypal is increasing in popularity, comparatively cheap for small volumes, relatively more expensive for larger volumes.. Protx can work out cheaper if you can get a mechant account. There are a few other choices too from the other clearers.

Abbey is the cheapest business bank account (as distinct from merchant account).

Edited by radders

Worldpay is the most popular processor. Paypal is increasing in popularity, comparatively cheap for small volumes, relatively more expensive for larger volumes.. Protx can work out cheaper if you can get a mechant account.  There are a few other choices too from the other clearers.

Abbey is the cheapest business bank account (as distinct from merchant account).

Thanks for the info. I didn't think Paypal accepted CC payments in the UK? I know on my Ebay sales it isn't available, and looking at the Paypal info it seems only to be in the US at the moment. Paypal would be my preferred method in the short term as I'm set up with everything verified etc.

Thanks for the info. I didn't think Paypal accepted CC payments in the UK? I know on my Ebay sales it isn't available, and looking at the Paypal info it seems only to be in the US at the moment. Paypal would be my preferred method in the short term as I'm set up with everything verified etc.

I don't use Paypal myself but i'm pretty certain that they do except all uk credit cards, switch, and solo debit cards.

I don't use Paypal myself but i'm pretty certain that they do except all uk credit cards, switch, and solo debit cards.

You can certainly pay your Paypal account with all the usual plastic. I don't think that you can pay with your CC if you don't have a Paypal account though. I hope I'm wrong because that makes things somewhat easier :)

OK FYI.

I've just spoken to an account rep at Paypal. They do not act as a merchant for credit/debit cards in the UK. They intend to at some point in the future but they have no dates for when this service will arrive. This is available in the US, so I guess it won't be too long.

You can pay your Paypal acct via debit/credit card, but thats useless unless you have a paypal account :)

Strange.?

I have the ability to accept Credit and Debit Cards on my Paypal Account (even if the buyer is not a Paypal User)...

I'm in the UK, and have a business Paypal a/c.

I have no idea how. I've checked this with Ebay and Paypal by email, and spoke to a Paypal support bod on the phone just before my last post. I've decided to go to NOCHEX, even on their website they show a comparison between themselves and Paypal/Worldpay, the comparison indicates that for CC's registration is required with Paypal.

You obviously have some exclusive functionality, I'd keep it quiet if I were you :)

/edit

Are the customers making the payments in the US?

Edited by Yuck

Note though that I do have a Verified Business Account, and I do put through a number of orders daily...so I might well have some sort of "special" status or something.  I don't know.

Ok the plot thickens !

I have a verified Premier account.

I looked at my options and Acct required was already set to off. Where did you get the list of countries from?