osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Checkout Proceedure

ACE99

Existing Customer:

Put product in cart.

Click checkout (1 click)

Login , click continue (2 clicks)

Choose shipping methind, click next (3 clicks)

Choose payment method, click next (4 clicks)

Summary page, click next (5 clicks)

Checkout Success, click next (6 clicks)

6 clicks to checkout is 3 too many.

New Customer:

Put product in cart.

Click checkout (1 click)

Create Account , click continue (2 clicks)

Account Created Page (3 clicks)

Choose shipping methind, click next (4 clicks)

Choose payment method, click next (5 clicks)

Summary page, click next (6 clicks)

Checkout Success, click next (7 clicks)

7 clicks for a new customer is outrageous.

I've been working on a 3 click checkout, it's almost complete - when it is, I'll release it.

Some of us are using Paypal and/or ePDQ so you can add another 3/4 clicks onto that for us.....

Also, to top it off.... the ePDQ pages are not so straigh forward....

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Everyone,

I'm brand new to OSC with no PHP experience, just HTML. I'm currently configuring OSC 2.2 MS2 with STS & HTC mod installed. I'm curiuos if anyone knows which checkout mod will work with these. FEC doesn't work with STS which is a shame. Any ideas? Thanks a bunch!

P.S. My sincere apologies if I'm not posting in the right place!!!

• 1 month later...

checkout www.saltydog.com/store , i like their checkout process, with osCommerce. 3 step process - You don't have to create an account if you don't want to, has billing and shipping on one page, and keeps login info if you want to.

We have another site using ProStores which allows 3 modes for checkout - register, login, or anonymous. After reviewing reports we find 2 out of 3 checkouts are done anonymously. Most people just want the products and don't think about repeat buying and saving time on future orders. Maybe they will never buy again, depends on the type of products.

Any contributions already out there to streamline the checkout process?

Burt, I agree with you. Seven clicks is outrageous. I emailed the OSC team and I think they're going to start their own thread soon about revamping the shopping cart. I really hope it's sooner rather than later. Right now I'm just doing some research on several of the top online stores to look for the best formula and layout.

I think most online stores are heading for a three-step checkout, and I believe that if the checkout page (putting all the steps on one page) is designed correctly, it can be as easy and straightforward as the current step-by-step process.

Burt, could you tell me more about your current project? How are user accounts and passwords created? How is the layout?

Like I mentioned above, I'm leaning toward a layout similar to Overstock, though I'm still doing more research. I think we can take all of the fields from the current OSC step-by-step process and put them all on one page. The user's account will be created when the user inputs their shipping info. There will be a checkbox under the billing area to use the same data as used for shipping. All mods should work with this layout, as it only displays all the info at once, instead of step-by-step. Also, I'd like to see the entire page auto-populated when a return customer checks out.

Hmm.... Not quite sure how you could accomplish that in a situation (like ours) where there are 13 possible shipping rates which depend on 3 factors [Del Country, Weight, Item over 610cms]. You can't possibly put all that on 1 page without totally confusing the customer (and subsequently getting loads of orders where they have selected the wrong shipping rate).

So, currently, the steps are:

1. (after creating new account or logging in) check delivery country, check total weight, check if item is over 610 cms (code behind page to determine which del methods are available for that customer) - present page with available options [max. 3 options available to check radio button - possibly only 1 method available(no radio button to check - autoselect)] - page click count = 1 (I'm not counting creating new account or logging in as that has to be done anyway.

2. Select Payment Method (currently only one - card clearance) - page click count = 2 (could be incorporated onto same page as shipping method selection)

3. Order Summary Page and GoTo Live Online Card Clearance module to complete payment process - page click count = 3 (This is the one bit in the chain which is off-site to enable live security checks via 3rd party card clearance services provider).

4. Return from Card Clearance with SUCCESS/FAIL Result. If FAIL, order not processed. If SUCCESS, order processed and entered into database. - page click count = 5 (1 to enter card details and process payment and 1 to return to site ($checkout_process.php) for code to check clearance STATUS and process/not process the order accordingly.

The osC files have been modified extensively, new files added and new tables to accommodate all of this (including a customer checkout summary table which contains "customerID, Long Item Status, countryID, Total Value & Shipping Weight") I found this to be the easiest way to carry the necessary data through the various stages of the order process in the end.

It took a lot of hair-pulling, swearing, black coffee and midnight oil but I got there in the end!

However, I'm still bugged by the fact that everything works fine for British Isles destinations but any other destinations can't get off the $checkout_shipping page. I'm tearing my hair out (not much left now) as I can't see why it should be working for GB, GG, JE, IM but nowhere else!!??!! The shipping options are being calculated and presented correctly, the customer just can't get off the page to go to $checkout_payment - It's bizzare........ The correct delivery options are there (del address, shipping method & cost), the correct country ISO code is there....... I just can't figure why those are the only 4 ISOs that work??

I'm starting to wonder if there is some code existing in osC that somehow checks the IP address and disables the checkout if the IP doesn't match the customer's address country....?? (Which would be why I can't get it to work with say a USA address when my IP is in GB). If this is the case, perhaps it will work fine for actual customers but not me (makes it a pig for debugging if that's the case). Personally, I can't see that being the case but I'm at a total loss!

A couple of observations on the other points though...... I can't see how anyone can checkout anonymously - you need them to enter their details for card clearance and shipping - so you might as well store the data. If you are taking the risk yourself (not recommended) on card payments you could probably have that data entry on the same page but if you're using a secure online clearance service (they take the risk), that's not an option so the card entry has to be done on their secure form. (The cardholder name, address & transaction details are passed to the form programmatically - so they only have to enter the actual card details on the form - then click to return to our site for the automatic completion of the order). IMHO it's not a good idea to take customers creditcard details in osC and store them in the database - the potential risk is too high. Much better to use a live payment clearance service and let them take the risk.

Cheers,

Steve

PS. If anyone can throw any light on the checkout problem I'm having, all input would be gratefully received (I'm probably not seeing the wood for the trees at this stage). ;) :'(

Porpoises are most happy when wet!

\ _ \ _ \ _ \ _ \ _ \ _ \ _ \ _ \ _ \ _ \ _ \ _

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I redid the shopping cart at www.aircompressorsdirect.com to eliminate a few pages from the standard oscommerce checkout process. It goes like this for a new customer:

Login page (Similar to Amazon login page)

Customer Information (billing and shipping addresses)

Payment info

checkout confirmation page :)

The create account success page was eliminated and an alternate shipping address can be entered without having to add anymore pages to the process. This store has had lots of customization done to it. I would love to hear some opinions on the checkout process.

• 2 weeks later...

You all should really check out Southern-Rugs.com

They completely had the checkout process custom programmed to actually have everything on ONE page,

which is kinda the point of all of this.

I don't like having shipping on one page and billing on another and payment on again another.

Southern-Rugs took the shipping/billing/payment and combined all into one.

So all you have is, enter your info, then confirm, done - simple.

I would love to have something like this, I have the original code since they are friends of mine.

But everytime I attempt to implement the files into my system, the billing address doesn't transfer over to the confirmation page.

Very annoyed with this, I have spent HOURS and DAYS and simply tons of time attempting to figure out what is different between our two stores, but to no effect.

I'm not a programmer, so I don't understand where I could have the difference.

If there is someone out there who would like to work together to sort this out, I believe this could make a much desired contribution.

Of course since I'm bringing all the files, I need your programming skill. Let me know, my email address is: [email protected]

Please from the start! What do I need to do when I get this error:

1046 - No database selected

select configuration_key as cfgKey, configuration_value as cfgValue from configuration

[TEP STOP]

Please help me! Thank you!

Agreed, this type of checkout is so much better than a four page one. While I am sure some online businesses need a 4 page checkout - I think 90% of the time a shortened checkout, such as this, is better for the bottom line.

If there is someone out there who would like to work together to sort this out, I believe this could make a much desired contribution.

Actually, you should talk to Chooch. He is currently working on a similar length checkout for me, but with much much more nitpicky specifications. The least of which is that the checkout I want doesn't allow any possibility of creating an account.

Best Regards,

Victor Wise

You all should really check out Southern-Rugs.com

They completely had the checkout process custom programmed to actually have everything on ONE page,

which is kinda the point of all of this.

I don't like having shipping on one page and billing on another and payment on again another.

I would love to have something like this, I have the original code since they are friends of mine.

But everytime I attempt to implement the files into my system, the billing address doesn't transfer over to the confirmation page.

Very annoyed with this, I have spent HOURS and DAYS and simply tons of time attempting to figure out what is different between our two stores, but to no effect.

I'm not a programmer, so I don't understand where I could have the difference.

Of course since I'm bringing all the files, I need your programming skill. Let me know, my email address is: [email protected]

Hello,

I just emailed you about this code, please PM me if you don't get the email.

Most Valuable OsCommerce Contributions:

Also Purchased (AP) Preselection (cuts this resource hogging query down to nothing) -- Contribution 3294

FedEx Automated Labels -- Contribution 2244

RMA Returns system -- Contribution 1136

Sort Products By Dropdown -- Contribution 4312

Ultimate SEO URLs -- Contribution 2823

Credit Class & Gift Voucher -- Contribution 282

Cross-Sell -- Contribution 5347

• 4 weeks later...

I know this may not be exactly on topic. But i thought you guys might have the answer to my problem ( and i am not having any luck gettng and answer anywhere else. I need to add a new infop box to check out page. As i am an online florsit i need to be able to add a box so they can add the day flowers need to be delivered. I have been trying to work this out for 2 days and havent found a way to do it.. As mothers day is fast approaching i need and fix soon if possible. Basically i just need to know how to add extra info boxes on the order page.

thanks in advance

sinua

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Can someone point me in the right direction here.... I am a bit overwhelmed by all the mods and options.

So I want a REALLY SIMPLE checkout. No need for an account/login and I want the least amount of pages as possible.

Actually I would love to just have OSC to take the address, calculate shipping and then just ship um over to Paypal Web Pay Standard to take the credit info.

What contribution should I use for this sort of setup?

Your help is GREATLY appreciated!!!

• 1 year later...
Ok, here's an update on what I have managed to cobble together in my check out process. My new and improved check out goes like this:
  • Click Checkout button (click 1)
  • Combined login/create account page (click 2)
  • checkout_shipping.php - shipping and billing address are required to match, address from account is used unless customer chooses to edit. Added credit card info and gift/credit voucher to this page. (click 3)
  • checkout_confirm.php - last chance for customer to edit before being charged. Still debating on whether to make this a code only or leave it as is. (click 4)

My new checkout_shipping.php looks like this:

checkout.jpg

The good news, is that I plan to release this as a contribution. The bad news is that my site is very heavily modified so I can't just post my new files. I'll have to figure out all the changes I made and apply them to some unmodified files, so it's going to take a little while for me to finish it up. Also, there are a few issues that will need to be hashed out. This mod works great for my particular store, but I can see some issues coming up already:

1. We only have one option for shipping so I am not sure how this will work if you have multiple methods of shipping.

2. We only have one option for payment so I am not sure how this will work if you have multiple methods of payment.

3. We require that shipping and billing addresses match. The addresses could be easily seperated, but I haven't even thought about how to make a checkbox that would simplify this part of the checkout.

If anyone who can work with the code wants to see my files, send me an e-mail through the forums and I'll gladly send you what I have now. If you want to try out my checkout procedure you can see it in action on our site at www.dougherbert.com.

THIS IS A LIVE STORE SO DON'T GO PAST THE CONFIRM PAGE!!! YOU WILL BE CHARGED!!!

Anyone know how to make a checkout page like this person has ?

Archived