• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Seach Engine Friendly URL Support

BlueYon

Please nevermind my previous post.... sorry.

Now just tried installing this contrib. When I roll over product links, they show up as www.mydomain.com/categoryname/productname, but when I actually click on the link I get an error "The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request".

I read earlier in this thread that it could be due to cookie path in configure.php. I checked mine is set to my domain name (www.domain.com) as described in instructions.

any other ideas?

Much appreciated!

irina

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rik---- Have just completed a marathon read through the entire thread for this quite remarkable contribution;~)

Way back in POSTS: #216 and #217 you identified an issue where clicking in the New Products area (for instance) showed the correct item but whose path only carried the Prod ID element and not the necessary preceding Cat ID path element. Both would properly show up when clicking away in the eventual location.

While testing the Search Engine Friendly URLS contribution I too noticed this and rather expected that it would cause the spyders to erroneously index all new items with duplicated paths (not good SEOing);~/

Moments before ditching the localised implementation of all New Products areas (!) I came across your patches (as linked above). Did you continue with these patches? They seem to have broken things, particularly in New Products and the top level display of the Categories. All their particular thumbnails are missing and any clicking defers back the front page with a most peculiar status line text... <h*tp://mysite/stock///>

Blind navigation down to the appropriate location does result in good images being shown and with good paths... <h*tp://mysite/stock/Cornwall/Helston/path-steps/>

I am keen to resolve this issue, not least to keep the implementation of New Products in the new site. If you're looking at this in anything like real time and you would like to view this here then my site is my forum name along with a com (/stock/ equates to /catalog/). Please do not make a live or active link to my site here on this forum.

----best wishes, Robert

Hello all,

I'm also busy trying to get this mod running, as the functionality sounds very promising.

But when installing .HTACCESS in the root of my website, I cannot access my admin area anymore. I've been told by my webhoster that access to the Admin is done on Apache.

But the .HTACCESS in the contrib blocks access to Admin.

Any ideas?

This is my second attempt at creating a better version of the search engine safe urls.

It will change URLS from:

http://www.yoursite.com/product_info.php?c...4&products_id=1

to:

http://www.yoursite.com/Hardware/Graphics-...atrox-G200-MMS/

Hi! I want to do the same with my site. How do I do this?? Is it a contribution? I dont know which one to use.

Thanks

Sadly, I have to drop my assessment of this contribution. It all looked so promising earlier. I am unable to resolve the path issue that Rik and I earlier identified. It particularly afflicts subcategories. I notice that the author's (Minimoto) site does not have deeper subcategories. I cannot accept the wisdom of the risking multiple indexations per product. It was all A Jolly Nice Idea though.

Finally decided to opt out when I realised that keeping path level names and, indeed, item descriptions absolutely unique would become more and more impossible as the thousands built up... This thing is fine for a couple of dozen motorbikes but not at all feasible. as it stands at the moment, when scaled up.

Yes, there is another SEO URL contribution, but the sheer ferocity of just the politics pretty much leaves me cold.

---best wishes, Robert

Sadly, I have to drop my assessment of this contribution. It all looked so promising earlier. I am unable to resolve the path issue that Rik and I earlier identified. It particularly afflicts subcategories. I notice that the author's (Minimoto) site does not have deeper subcategories. I cannot accept the wisdom of the risking multiple indexations per product. It was all A Jolly Nice Idea though.

Finally decided to opt out when I realised that keeping path level names and, indeed, item descriptions absolutely unique would become more and more impossible as the thousands built up...  This thing is fine for a couple of dozen motorbikes but not at all feasible. as it stands at the moment, when scaled up.

Yes, there is another SEO URL contribution, but the sheer ferocity of just the politics pretty much leaves me cold.

---best wishes, Robert

I could change it so that you have:

http://www.yoursite.com/c1_9/Hardware/Mice...telliMouse-Pro/

Really if you have a name for one product you should not use it again. Like a ISBN number for a book.

It's osCommerce thats not feasable because it use's multiple languages.

What would you surgest?

How about an admin section where you can add your own keywords for each product and category?

Sorry, but what you're saying about that each product must be unique...

I sell model cars and lets, for example, say the BMW X5 is categorzed in my shop under the:

* maker (of the model)

* brand (BMW)

* vehicle type (SUV/4x4)

So this article has three occurrences, although they are copies of each other.

In my case, will this contrib still work?

Thanks for answering!

BlueYon----

Sorry, been busy. I need to plan for a scale of thousands. Titles and directories are likely to use just a simple word or few. It won't be practical to either make or expect to those words to be unique. I will only ever use one language (UK English). Turning on osC cache gives me problems; I use a PHP optimiser already; coding and troubleshooting is a nightmare of bewildered flushing all the respective caches. It looks necessary that I remain using Search Engine Unfriendly URLs;~/ To be practical my usual situation is that of keeping search engines out! As I said before, it seemed like adopting Search Engine Friendly URLs was a good idea for me at the time. On investigation it looks like I should not...

----best wishes, Robert

BlueYon----

Sorry, been busy. I need to plan for a scale of thousands. Titles and directories are likely to use just a simple word or few. It won't be practical to either make or expect to those words to be unique. I will only ever use one language (UK English). Turning on osC cache gives me problems; I use a PHP optimiser already; coding and troubleshooting is a nightmare of bewildered flushing all the respective caches. It looks necessary that I remain using Search Engine Unfriendly URLs;~/ To be practical my usual situation is that of keeping search engines out! As I said before, it seemed like adopting Search Engine Friendly URLs was a good idea for me at the time. On investigation it looks like I should not...

----best wishes, Robert

This contribution is not for everyone.

i've read this topic for about 2 hrs now, and i see many with the same problem but never a full resolution was posted:

my urls are looking like:

categories: http://www.mystore.com/shop/index.php/cPath/24

product: http://www.mystore/shop/product_info.php/products_id/78

i have done all of the edits and config in the admin control panel, same problems.

anyone know what i have to do to fix it?

i have the contrib successfully installed on 2 other sites, they work perfectly

Edited by eww

hello all,

i just cant get this working, i did -excactly- what was in the install file, readed this topic etc, but can't gt it working.

It's for this site: http://reijnders.tmn.nl/catalog/

I made a test site here with the mod, it just doesnt work, see for yourself: http://reijnders.tmn.nl/test/

What could i have done wrong?

I tried it on the normal site too, but didnt work there either.

Thanks,

Gilian

ps, both the test site and normal site use same databse, so all pics dont show in the test site

Edited by Soultaker

ok, i've moved it to my root directory, but now i get

Error!

Unable to determine the page link!

here's the site:

http://reijnders.tmn.nl/index.php

Anyone know what i did wrong? I followed the steps in install, have all those things enabled, chache map is chmodded to 777, .htacces file is good etc.. I readed this topic, tried some solutions, but still get the same error..

Could you please respond asap? :P This is a live shop, so i have to fix it soon.

anyone that can help me?

Go into your admin...

in configuration>>My Shop

Set

Use search engine friendly url's (Still in development) to False

But that does also mean that you can not use this contribution, but there are several other contributions for search engine friendly urls in the contribution section which you can use without turning on Use search engine friendly url's .

i know that....... i already disabled it long ago, waiting for a responce

i ment if someone could help me fix this..

No fix available....

If Use search engine friendly url's (Still in development) do not work on your hosting/server you can not use Blueyon's Search Engine Friendly Url' s eighter..

In such a case you can choose one of these ones instead:

- Ultimate SEO Url's

- Sef link transformer

- Nimmit Sefs

Hi,

The SEF contribution is really great and its very useful for advanced webmasters.

I have installed on my website and the index page is fine workin but when i click any product images are not loading and the page also loads very slow.i have creloaded 6.2 I followed the installation guide comes with this contribution.Still i got the same problem.

please let me know and help me in this.

Regards.

My store uses CRE Loaded, not sure what version. My store is not under the root directory, it is located mystore.com/shop/ . I followed the directions making the additions to the listed files and used the index.php page that somone posted earlier in this thread because they said they got it partially working with CRE Loaded. However the links are still showing up like this: /shop/product_info.php/cPath/35_75/products_id/250 .

mod_rewrite is under the loaded modules area in my server info. SEO url;s is turned on in the admin, as well as forced cookies. I am pretty sure the cache directory is setup correctly.

Here is my .htaccess:

RewriteEngine on

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d

RewriteRule ^(.*) shop/index.php

RewriteBase /shop/

<IfModule mod_setenvif.c>

<IfDefine SSL>

SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" \

nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown \

downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0

</IfDefine>

</IfModule>

<IfModule mod_dir.c>

DirectoryIndex index.php default.php index.html index.htm default.html default.htm

</IfModule>

<Files ~ "^\.ht">

Order allow,deny

Deny from all

Satisfy All

</Files>

Options -Indexes

php_flag display_errors off

php_flag magic_quotes_gpc off

php_flag register_globals on

php_flag use_cookies off

php_value output_buffering off

php_value session.cache_limiter nocache

Please help me get this working.

My store uses CRE Loaded, not sure what version. My store is not under the root directory, it is located mystore.com/shop/ . I followed the directions making the additions to the listed files and used the index.php page that somone posted earlier in this thread because they said they got it partially working with CRE Loaded. However the links are still showing up like this: /shop/product_info.php/cPath/35_75/products_id/250 .

mod_rewrite is under the loaded modules area in my server info. SEO url;s is turned on in the admin, as well as forced cookies. I am pretty sure the cache directory is setup correctly.

Here is my .htaccess:

RewriteEngine on

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d

RewriteRule ^(.*) shop/index.php

RewriteBase /shop/

<IfModule mod_setenvif.c>

<IfDefine SSL>

SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" \

nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown \

downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0

</IfDefine>

</IfModule>

<IfModule mod_dir.c>

DirectoryIndex index.php default.php index.html index.htm default.html default.htm

</IfModule>

<Files ~ "^\.ht">

Order allow,deny

Deny from all

Satisfy All

</Files>

Options -Indexes

php_flag display_errors off

php_flag magic_quotes_gpc off

php_flag register_globals on

php_flag use_cookies off

php_value output_buffering off

php_value session.cache_limiter nocache

Please help me get this working.

Hi,

Not sure it works with cre because i cant even find a solution so i used chemo's ultimate SEO url.

Its nice when it comes to mod_rewrite directive.I suggest you use that mod.

It is easy to install and uninstall.Also it has enable/disable feature in admin panel.