• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Seach Engine Friendly URL Support

BlueYon

Hi, Hi,

I would actually love to use this mod....But due to the fact that my preferd web host uses suPHP , sef urls creates errors which also affects this contrib.......

If someone has a fix for this..please post it.......

B)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right,

I'm on the first page on msn.co.uk, yahoo.co.uk for my main keyword minimoto using this contribution.

My site was on first page for google, yahoo and msn in January, but only for USA search results so I have changed recently from .com to .co.uk. I should should be in the top 3 within 2 months. My links on DMOZ and Yahoo directory have only been updated this month. Plus I have added about 600 inbound links.

I have had no positioning problems with adding this to my site whats so ever!

This contribution works! As for dupliicate content osC has alot of this by default any way. The title on every page is osCommerce so you need to use your own method for changing this. My contribution has little to do with duplicate content when osCommerce causes this anyway.

I would image you have to put up with duplcate content with your contribution aswell.

As for PR it really cannot be helped losing if you make any big changes to the link structure oif your site. Unless people in here wants to do a 302 redirect on there .htaccess for every changed URL.

PR does not really count for postion ranking anyway. PR will be passed to any new pages as long as the main website address has a a good PR it will pass down into the other pages.

Edited by BlueYon

Hi,Hi..

Just to clearify it does basically not matter if you use stock urls or any of the seo link contribs when it comes to ranking well for a particular key word/key word frases for your front page.......

Regarding the front page, your main url, slightly simplyfied its a matter of links and content which gets you there......

Where it does matter on the other hand, is your category and your product pages.

And regarding the 2 mentioned seo contribs, they both functions very well, its more a mather of taste about how you would like your urls to show.

One small hint......

Using the ordinary urls....compare the page rank for your main page with the page rank for your category and product pages.

The ideel seo contrib would retain the same rank for your category and product pages.

A good one will not lose more than 1 point for these same pages.

I'm listed on google around the 26th page. I think its because of the sand box effect.

if you really you really don't want to lose PR use this code at the top of your application_top.php

if(strpos($_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'], 'Googlebot')){
header('Location: http://www.dmoz.org');
} else {
header('Location: http://www.yoursite.com');
}

Replace http://www.yoursite.com with your site address and replace http://www.dmoz.org with url of the dmoz category related to your website.

Just kidding!!!

Edited by BlueYon

:'( I love your idea of search friendly urls, however I must have installed something wrong, I have received error after error as I have read through this thread and made changes to fix bug, each fix has givin me a new error code, the latest one is:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class shoppingcart in /home/sweetd73/public_html/catalog/includes/classes/shopping_cart.php on line 13

I did'nt modify anything in shopping_cart.php.

Any idea's?

Admin still seems to work. I am getting cpath url's Thats fine with me, but when we call up the catalog/index.php.... I get the above mentioned error.[/size]

Edited by Figster

BlueYon i think it's a goof idea of Chemo to make an redirect script....

Don't you?

Yes I already have one, but i need to manually set all myh old urls to the new ones. I recently changed a lot of my titles and found all the old urls taking me to the front page.

Needs more thought, maybe change the system completely and have extra fields or a table to add keywords for the products and categories.

You can then add keywords to take you to the correct pages.

there is a error some where else in your code. Maybe application_top.php make sure application_top.php is not trying to load the shopping_cart.php class twice.

Thank you so much, yep, somehow I duplicated about 12 lines of code... Maybe i should try this when I'm not suffering from sleep deprivation!? :D :-"

Hi.

When I install a SEF (1.5) in my osc, I receive a 403 (Forbidden error).

I use a "clean" .htaccess include in package (?!) :(

When I delete it, my osc load, but they links are broked... (obvious) :)

Why .htaccess don't run ok?

Any idea or sugestions?

I change permissions to CHMOD 755 and 644 to test, but don't run :(

Thank you.

William.

Yes I already have one, but i need to manually set all myh old urls to the new ones. I recently changed a lot of my titles and found all the old urls taking me to the front page.

Needs more thought, maybe change the system completely and have extra fields or a table to add keywords  for the products and categories.

You can then add keywords to take you to the correct pages.

Do you think you are going to release it?

If so send me the code then i can take a look at it and maybe improve it ;)

Hey BlueYon,

Do you know why is this:

I tried the spider sim on: http://www.searchengineworld.com/cgi-bin/sim_spider.cgi

And with your site everything goes well but on my site almost every link is http://ttp/

try the sim on http://www.bioxs.nl and you will see....

What can be wrong?

another spider sees it good:

http://www.webconfs.com/search-engine-spider-simulator.php

and again one bad:

http://tools.summitmedia.co.uk/spider/

Help please....

Edited by RikP

Hey BlueYon,

Do you know why is this:

I tried the spider sim on: http://www.searchengineworld.com/cgi-bin/sim_spider.cgi

And with your site everything goes well but on my site almost every link is http://ttp/

try the sim on http://www.bioxs.nl and you will see....

What can be wrong?

another spider sees it good:

http://www.webconfs.com/search-engine-spider-simulator.php

and again one bad:

http://tools.summitmedia.co.uk/spider/

Help please....

I just tested it and it the way you said and I did not get this error.

You have page rank and when I do site:http://www.bioxs.nl google has index your site.

There is normally one line of code to delete to fix the ttp problem. Can't remeber which one.

Do you have prevent spider sessions enabled? i have mine set tto disabled and force cookies.

Edited by BlueYon

Hi.

Any idea or sugestions?

Thank you.

William.

What server are you using? apache? if so you need to set it up to use .htaccess

I just tested it and it the way you said and I did not get this error.

You have page rank and when I do site:http://www.bioxs.nl google has index your site.

There is normally one line of code to delete to fix the ttp problem. Can't remeber which one.

Do you have prevent spider sessions enabled? i have mine set tto disabled and force cookies.

Ok disabled prevent spider sessions and now all works great! Thanks :D

I added extra functionality...

I noticed that when in the index.php the new_products area didn't show the full path to the product. But only the product name.

In order to keep consistency on the site i made the following changes to 2 files:

in includes/modules/new_products.php find:

$new_products[$x]['products_name'] = tep_get_products_name($new_products[$x]['products_id']);

$info_box_contents[$row][$col] = array('align' => 'center',
                                          'params' => 'class="smallText" width="33%" valign="top"',
                                          'text' => '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'products_id=' . $new_products[$x]['products_id']) . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . $new_products[$x]['products_image'], $new_products[$x]['products_name'], SMALL_IMAGE_WIDTH, SMALL_IMAGE_HEIGHT) . '</a><br><a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'products_id=' . $new_products[$x]['products_id']) . '">' . $new_products[$x]['products_name'] . '</a><br>' . $currencies->display_price($new_products[$x]['products_price'], tep_get_tax_rate($new_products[$x]['products_tax_class_id'])));

and replace with:

$new_products[$x]['products_name'] = tep_get_products_name($new_products[$x]['products_id']);
$new_products[$x]['categorie_name'] = tep_get_product_path($new_products[$x]['products_id']);
$new_cPath = $new_products[$x]['categorie_name'];

$info_box_contents[$row][$col] = array('align' => 'center',
                                          'params' => 'class="smallText" width="33%" valign="top"',
                                          'text' => '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'cPath=' . $new_cPath . '&products_id=' . $new_products[$x]['products_id']) . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . $new_products[$x]['products_image'], $new_products[$x]['products_name'], SMALL_IMAGE_WIDTH, SMALL_IMAGE_HEIGHT) . '</a><br><a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'cPath=' . $new_cPath . '&products_id=' . $new_products[$x]['products_id']) . '">' . $new_products[$x]['products_name'] . '</a><br>' . $currencies->display_price($new_products[$x]['products_price'], tep_get_tax_rate($new_products[$x]['products_tax_class_id'])));

and in includes/boxes/whats_new.php find

$info_box_contents = array();
   $info_box_contents[] = array('align' => 'center',
                                'text' => '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'products_id=' . $random_product['products_id']) . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . $random_product['products_image'], $random_product['products_name'], SMALL_IMAGE_WIDTH, SMALL_IMAGE_HEIGHT) . '</a><br><a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'products_id=' . $random_product['products_id']) . '">' . $random_product['products_name'] . '</a><br>' . $whats_new_price .'<br />');

and replace with:

$new_cPath = tep_get_product_path($random_product['products_id']);

$info_box_contents = array();
   $info_box_contents[] = array('align' => 'center',
                                'text' => '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'cPath=' . $new_cPath . '&products_id=' . $random_product['products_id']) . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . $random_product['products_image'], $random_product['products_name'], SMALL_IMAGE_WIDTH, SMALL_IMAGE_HEIGHT) . '</a><br><a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'cPath=' . $new_cPath . '&products_id=' . $random_product['products_id']) . '">' . $random_product['products_name'] . '</a><br>' . $whats_new_price .'<br />');

Now the urls point to the category_path/product_name

hmm saw that in includes/boxes/best_sellers.php the same problem was so:

find in includes/boxes/best_sellers.php:

$rows++;
     $bestsellers_list .= '<tr><td class="infoBoxContents" valign="top">' . tep_row_number_format($rows) . '.</td><td class="infoBoxContents"><a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'products_id=' . $best_sellers['products_id']) . '">' . $best_sellers['products_name'] . '</a></td></tr>';

and replace with:

$rows++;
  $new_cPath = tep_get_product_path($best_sellers['products_id']);
     $bestsellers_list .= '<tr><td class="infoBoxContents" valign="top">' . tep_row_number_format($rows) . '.</td><td class="infoBoxContents"><a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'cPath=' . $new_cPath . '&products_id=' . $best_sellers['products_id']) . '">' . $best_sellers['products_name'] . '</a></td></tr>';

Hi.

Any idea or sugestions?

Thank you.

William.

check if rewrite_rule is on in apache...

goto admin --> tools --> server info

and check if mod_rewrite is in the apache2handler --> loaded modules part

well, well... I find a error: my webhosting disable some functions of .htaccess...

In another webhosting, and another site, after SEF install, in all of my pages, my URLS links to www.site.com/catalog/ and not to www.site.com/catalog/categorie/product1/ and www.site.com/catalog/categorie/product2/ , www.site.com/catalog/categorie/product3/

Why ? :'(

Thank you.

William.

In time: both my webhostings are apache

Edited by wpangardi

check if rewrite_rule is on in apache...

goto admin --> tools --> server info

and check if mod_rewrite  is in the apache2handler --> loaded modules part

in my apache handlers configurations what extension(s) i need to associate to mod_rewrite?

.php?

thank you.

if you want, see my test server in www.wpt.com.br/ascestas2/

thank you.

Has anyone run into a problem with the advanced search results? When I run a search the first page of results shows up perfectly, but subsequent pages come up page not found because the parameters (?, =, etc) are transitioned into /. Is there a fix for this?

Thanks!

Hi BlueYon what a great solution :thumbsup: this search engine friendly url package. It is working fine for me on my localhost. But unfortunately not on my providers host!

Every URL gets an /ttp or /por (a part of my subdomain) appendix!

Does anybody have an idea what has to be changed for a propper working solution!?

You will find my site with the broken urls here: www.bikewear-kaufen.de or here: sportswear.bikewear-kaufen.de

This is a desperately cry for help :'( - I don't want to go live without this keen contribution!

Thanks in advance

Jura

Hi,

My server has globals turned off. Does anybody know how to get this script working with a server with globals off?

I installed the register globals patch and osc worked, then tried to install this mod, but I keep getting a fatal error that globals are turned off. any ideas?

- Matt