• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Skins integration

Xtreme-Agency

I think the core developers should create an admin module where it would be possible for any developers to create new skins (graphics + css files)

The template architecture would then allow through the admin menu to change skins on the fly.

developers would be able to package their skins in a predefined format. any users could upload the package which would be validated during the upload.

have a look at the www.mamboserver.com architecture.

I am using now oscommerce as a module inside the mambo architecture. it is much more flexible and allows all developers to work on a common set of standard.

An API is definitely needed to allow the import and validation of the contributions.

it would make the upgrade much easier

• 3 weeks later...
An API is definitely needed to allow the import and validation of the contributions.

it would make the upgrade much easier

This would be nice, but considering the variance in logics needed for different business models I just can not see that happening for all contribution changes.

Take for example the business that wants to offer discounts for specific products, not all products. To implement this as a contribution that would be inported and validated would not work, since the core logic would need a few tweeks, and no contribution would be able to determine this without the minor changes. Or how about two contributions which work at the same point in logic? how is the API going to re-code them so they both work correctly?

This is just an example, there are too many issues with business logic to accomodate this totally. As for a admin tool to edit/create css and html pages and view them on the fly, this is possible and would be a good idea, if you can offer a simple html interface tool to develop these web pages which is GPL compatable and offers enough tools to do the job well.

I would suggest that the editing of the css, would be nice, but keep the html editor out of the system, since this is covered more throughly by other better appilcations available. But I would like to see a simple interface to upload and install the new layouts once they are ready to be installed.....

cheers,

Peter M.

Peter McGrath

-----------------------------

See my Profile (click here) for more information and to contact me for professional osCommerce support that includes SEO development, custom development and security implementation

Archived