• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Feedback wanted (Cat+Manufact Description)

mhormann

Hi, all!

I've been discussing with iwik, but want more feedback now in order to make a new contrib that somehow "does it all" and stays usable for most of us:

• Category Name as Page Heading (incl. sub-categories)
  • Manufacturer Name as Page Heading
  • Manufacturer Description (HTML), i.e. for people using manufacturers for "authors" or the like
  • Category Description (HTML), to give customers more info on specific categories
  • Category & Manufacturer Description should have the same 'look & feel'
  • Both should be language-compatible (different language=different text)
  • Should look good both when filled-in or not
  • Should be easy to integrate with my coming-up modified 'universal' Header Tag Controller (based on Linda's)
  • Should thus allow better SEO

I've come up with the following scheme until now:

• Category & Manufacturer Description plus the 'better' Page Headings will go in ONE contribution—this will make it have the same 'look & feel' and integrating easier.
  • The 'universal' Header Tag Controller changes will be a 'new' HTC 'version' as an update to the existing one. So it will be easy for those of us using it already.
  • Both will work 'hand-in-hand' so HTC users might even use the new 'descriptions' for the <meta name="Description"...> field.

Here's how far I've come today, and afterwards I'll ask you some questions...

categories.jpg

category_description.jpg

category_no_description.jpg

manufacturer_description.jpg

manufacturer_admin.jpg

Now, my questions:

1. Suggestions, please! What is bad, what could be better?
  2. Does anyone know if I can rely on 'almost' any browser being cable of doing a 'rowspan=3' on table data?
  3. Would a 'fixed' (set in admin) image size be wanted, apart from the size we already have for 'heading images'? (in my example 200x300 px?) Or just 'leave it out and take what comes'?
  4. On a mySQL 'TEXT' type field, what exactly does the attribute 'Fulltext' do?
  5. The admin 'interface' is now only done for Manufacturers, and it is simply ugly—just enough for copy/paste. I desire to have it like the admin 'product description'. Is anyone out there willing to help me here who has a good understanding of osC 'inner workings' and is willing to code following the 'osC Style'?

Now I'm eagerly awaiting your feedback... (so I won't miss my kids so much on Christmas and having something to do...)

Regards,

Matthias

I don't want to set the world on fire—I just want to start a flame in your heart.

osCommerce Contributions:

Class cc_show() v1.0 – Show Credit Cards, Gateways

More Product Weight v1.0

One more idea (and question):

• Would a 'global' admin switch be good like: 'Use LARGE images (y/n)?' which would be used throughout category, manufacturer, and product display to show LARGE images (say 200x300) instead of SMALL images (100x80)?
  • If set to 'No', should all three have a 'popup' option like Product Info?
  • Should this be selectable in the user's account info? (Like 'I have a slow modem and want small images only')

Gawds what am I doing... committing myself to unpaid programming for weeks... ;-)

Well, just let me know.

I don't want to set the world on fire—I just want to start a flame in your heart.

More Product Weight v1.0

If you can pull all this off, I think the whole community will be in debt to you. Make sure to include PayPal donation link.

Good Luck and hope to hear soon....

By the way all your suggestions sound great

One more idea (and question):

• Would a 'global' admin switch be good like: 'Use LARGE images (y/n)?' which would be used throughout category, manufacturer, and product display to show LARGE images (say 200x300) instead of SMALL images (100x80)?
  • If set to 'No', should all three have a 'popup' option like Product Info?
  • Should this be selectable in the user's account info? (Like 'I have a slow modem and want small images only')

Gawds what am I doing... committing myself to unpaid programming for weeks... ;-)

Well, just let me know.

Hello,

just to let you know, yes, it's worthwile to package this, on the otherhand, there is a contribution for categories description and another that adds manufacturers description.

I recently downloaded them, looked at the content, seemed to be doing this (language specific descriptions), but I haven't installed them yet.

I will do so maybe later today. I'll let you know if there is any issue with these.

I don't know about the HTC. Don't have it, I might check it out at the same time :)

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

Just to let everyone know, I had to postpone work on this for a while, since I stumbled over image problems while doing it, and so I had to write "The Incredible Image Machine" first.

This is now almost finished and will be released shortly, so I'll probably have some time again for the category/manufacturer stuff.

Happy New Year!

More Product Weight v1.0

• 1 year later...