• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

zones in zone-based shipping vs. zones in osCom

kennethmgreen

It appears (to me at least) that zones in zone-based shipping are for countries only. That is, I can set up US and Canada zones for instance, but not set up zones for Hawaii and Alaska - which is what I need. I need special shipping to these two US states.

With zone-based shipping, are zones treated differently than the rest of osCom? (because you can set up state-based zones in osCom)

Thanks for any help with this.

Note that I am using Individual Shipping module...

I have tried installing two contribs: State Based Rates and Per Item Per State

State Based Rates causes errors and Per Item Per State doesn't seem to do anything... (and neither really offer me the exact solution I'm looking for).

Here is what I need:

Client has small catalog of items (6 total).

Shipping is fixed on all items (except for Alaska and Hawaii).

Some items have different fixed shipping than others (3 total shipping rates across 6 items)

So far, using the Individual Shipping contrib, I can assign each item its own shipping.

But I need to add different shipping costs if the ship to address is Alaska or Hawaii.

Is this possible? It seems like I could add a flag field in the database or something, but I was hoping a contribution would address this. The contribs mentioned above appear to be pretty old (outdated?)

Another concern I have: even if I get this working the way I want, osCom currently has only a (required) state text field - that is, not a drop-down list. So even if I can get special shipping for Alaska and Hawaii, I don't see how I can assign those values when a user can enter Alaska, AK, or misspelling in the field that needs to trigger the special shipping costs.

I'm pretty frustrated with this so far and would greatly appreciate any help/advice/direction.

Thank you.

Thanks for the link. MultiGeoZone MultiTable Shipping looks like it offers some great functionality (and looks to be much more recent than the two contribs I mentioned earlier).

Unfortunately, MultiGeoZone MultiTable Shipping is based on table-based shipping. I need shipping set up as a flat fee applied to each item. (so a quantity of 3 = 3x shipping fee for that item.)

My problem is that even though the catalog I am working with is extremely small, I need the following:

1. a shipping fee for each item.

2. within the context of #1, add to (or replace) shipping if going to AK or HI.

I succeeded in getting 1. working with the Individual Shipping contrib. But I don't know if I can do #2 (at least within the context of #1) with the current contribs being offered.

I'm thinking about adding an "extra shipping" field or a processing fee, and then try and wade through the code in the shipping modules/checkout.. which sounds tedious and prone to errors... :'(

Maybe someone can come up with a work-around or a better idea/approach to solving 1 and 2 above.

• 1 year later...

I'm using MZMT_Shipping_v1.101 and have set up correctly two different prices for two different zones.

This is how I have it now in the admin section:

Geo Zone 1

Shp: Myfirstzone

Geo Zone 1 Table Method

weight

Geo Zone 1 Handling Fee

Geo Zone 1 Shipping Table 1

3:8.65,30:6.30

Geo Zone 2

Shp: Mysecondzone

Geo Zone 2 Table Method

weight

Geo Zone 2 Handling Fee

Geo Zone 2 Shipping Table 1

3:10.52,30:10.89

But now I have to add an additional charge of 0,58 euro per kilo when it exceeds 30kg in Zone 1, and an additional charge of 1,10 euro per kilo when it exceeds 30kg in Zone 2

Does anyone know if I can do this with this contribution and how?

Also another question I have is... the contribution calculates lbs instead of kg or is it just the referenced it's used?

Thanks in advanced!!!

Will this work if I have three zones in my country with a flat fee for each zone? How do I set the zones. I am in New Zealand and want Christchurch, Rest of the South Island, and the North Island. I am not very computer savvy so any help is appreciated.

Will this work if I have three zones in my country with a flat fee for each zone? How do I set the zones. I am in New Zealand and want Christchurch, Rest of the South Island, and the North Island. I am not very computer savvy so any help is appreciated.

Yes it will work with three zones too. Go to tax zones to add them and name them beginning with Shp as the instructions say...

I have got them in the Tax Zones under New Zealand sub zone but can't see anywhere to add Shp in the zone details. They don't come up in the shipping option either. What option should I be choosing - Flat Rate, Zones so that they show up in the Checkout process. Customers need to be able to choose the zone and cost for their area.

Thanks,

Adrienne

Yes it will work with three zones too. Go to tax zones to add them and name them beginning with Shp as the instructions say...

I now see that I need to install the Geo module first. Sorry

I have got them in the Tax Zones under New Zealand sub zone but can't see anywhere to add Shp in the zone details. They don't come up in the shipping option either. What option should I be choosing - Flat Rate, Zones so that they show up in the Checkout process. Customers need to be able to choose the zone and cost for their area.

Thanks,

Adrienne

I have set up the MultiGeoZone MultiTable shipping function for 3 different zones but when I've tested it in the checkout it doesn't appear. I assume there should be a choice of zones for customers to choose from after the customer has entered their address details etc, but it doesn't seem to be showing up. Has anyone else encountered this problem and found a solution?

Matt