• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Feedback Please - New Live Site

fivestarfido

Ha! That's awesome!

If I was in the US, and my dog could talk, she'd tell me to sign up straightaway. "Gifts! Gifts! I must have Gifts!" (she's such a primadonna).

I think it looks great. Perhaps though, that picture of the box underneath "What you will receive" could have a small selection of the contents around it, so people can get a better idea of the size of things?

Jane.

To comment on download speed - there isn't any!

Who's hosting this site? They suck, big time.

On your address screens - why show the country at all if it's fixed to the US?

Your site really needs a bit more imagination thrown at it - eg changing the stock buttons etc.

Jane,

I agree, pictures of example gifts would definitely help. We'll be working on that soon. Thanks so much for your feedback!!

Jennifer

Ha! That's awesome!

If I was in the US, and my dog could talk, she'd tell me to sign up straightaway. "Gifts! Gifts! I must have Gifts!" (she's such a primadonna).

I think it looks great.  Perhaps though, that picture of the box underneath "What you will receive" could have a small selection of the contents around it, so people can get a better idea of the size of things?

Jane.

This isn't a helpful suggestion; just a complement. ^_^

I love how you've done the links for "Shop", "FAQ", etc. The part I like is that even though they expand as you hover over them, they do not force the rest of the line to move!

Far too often you see sites that use bold, or a larger font for a mouseover, and the side of the new link just ruins the spacing on the rest of the line, and shoves all the other text over.

Well done!

FalseDawn,

Thanks for your feedback. I am currently using a shared hosting solution. Do you have any suggestions for a reputable, fast hosting solution that would be affordable?

I left the U.S. on there in case we expand our business to other countries. You're right that it is extra info on the screen right now.

Thanks,

Jennifer

Your site really needs a bit more imagination thrown at it - eg changing the stock buttons etc.

Thanks Pete and Taipa for your feedback. It is very much appreciated!!

I made several changes to the checkout process when designing the site (add gift message, ship to multiple addresses, add dog information). If anyone has a few minutes to try it out I would love to hear your suggestions. Even though it is a live site, you could go through the checkout without account, and none of your information will be stored as long as you don't submit the order.

http://www.fivestarfido.com

I didn't have any problems loading the site. Speed seems to be just fine on cable access and dial-up is slower (but not painful). I have to assume that FalseDawn either has problems with their ISP, or they want pages to load VERY quickly. My main page to a new visitor loads within 12 seconds (mostly 'cause the sliced header images are a bit heavy) - and that's for a dial-up user. IMHO, that's acceptable. I guess other people might not see it that way.

And, in looking at a new host... Be very careful. Don't look at just price. If you are happy with the host you have now and their customer service, up-time, etc., perhaps you can contact them to see about modifying your account to a dedicated server? There are a lot of VERY SCARY stories out there... I researched for 3 MONTHS before I switched hosts. Be sure to check out any hosts reputation.

Tami

Tami Jones

Sibemom2002

Now to comment on the site:

I have to admit I was a little lost at first... Your navigation is good, but I just couldn't seem to find my way.

I almost missed the link in the body labeled "product selector". I clicked it and went to the "selector step 1 page". Of course, I wasn't done reading what your products are (I clicked the link simply to try to figure out what you are selling) - so I hit the back button. Naturally when I was done reading, I then was at the bottom of the page and clicked on "Products" which is part of the breadcrumb trail the selector page. So you can imagine that I was really confused when I went back to the top of the page I was already on. Well, I figured out to click the "Shop" link, but it wasn't obvious right away.

As a dog fancier, I tried to look at your page from a customer's point of view (as you've gotten great feedback already (and some that I would have suggested, too).

So, in short:

I found it difficult to figure out what your site was selling - people scan the page for images that help "put it all together" and not have to read "all those words"... Perhaps your heading "Selecting a Product" could be more specific and/or adding more images.

On a side note, your store idea is VERY original and neat! Nice, clean layout. I'll have to tell the Sibes at home that they are "medium" - like a Cocker Spaniel. They'll love it! LOL ;)

Best Regards and Good Luck with your store!

Tami

Tami Jones

Sibemom2002

Good site. I wasn't sure if this site was serious.

Then I noticed that is was an American site so it probably is for real :P

The radio boxes that let you add more treats should probab;y be replaced by a single checkbox.

The checkout without account was a good idea. The cookie life needs to be extended though. I left my screen to have dinner and when I got back the shopping cart had been emptied and my details lost.

Are you able to get away with charging someone's credit card for a year's subcription? Usually you have to deliver within a couple of weeks. Perhaps you are making regular charges against their card.

It was a bit difficult to find the links to actually buy a product.

Taipa - The reason that the text links enlarge and don't spread sideways is that they are not text links at all but image links counningly disguised as text links.

David

This shops navigation and structure must be the worst I ever have seen :blink: Sibemom2002 said he was confused and think about how confused I was when English is not my languge :D

When I opened the site I first thought it was broken somewhere, so I closed it and read som more coments here and opened the shop againg but could not understand why others could see the shop and not me.

I kept doing the same thing, open and close 5 times before I got it :lol: Remake the whole structur of your shop or else I'm sure you will not get any customers because the will leave your shop and think it's something wrong with the shop.

This shops navigation and structure must be the worst I ever have seen  :blink: Sibemom2002 said he was confused and think about how confused I was when English is not my languge  :D

When I opened the site I first thought it was broken somewhere, so I closed it and read som more coments here and opened the shop againg but could not understand why others could see the shop and not me.

I kept doing the same thing, open and close 5 times before I got it  :lol: Remake the whole structur of your shop or else I'm sure you will not get any customers because the will leave your shop and think it's something wrong with the shop.

gifts for dogs ............................ah, ok

by the way, petite is small

We offer 1, 3, 6 and 12 month subscriptions for Petite, Small and Medium dogs

Treasurer MFC

NOW THATS AN ALL CLASS SITE, STRAIGHT 10, NOTHING MORE! :D

Installed Contributions: AJAX Menu, AJAX Attributed Manager, AP URL ReWriting, Credit Class and Gift Vouchers, CCGV Report, Date of Birth PullDown, FCKEditor for Product Desc., Monthly Installment Payments, More Pictures 6, MSRP Savings, Must Agree to Terms on Checkout, Order Editor, Payment Method Fee, PopUp Promo, Private Messages, Purchase Order, Purchase Order Application, Secure Admin Login-Logout, STS Plus, SugarCRM Integration, Supertracker, Tax Exempt and Organization Discounts, Your Recent History.

23 Total Contributions Installed :)

Last thing I had to say is, MAD COMMENTS, AND I SO MUCH SERIOUSLY LOVE THE PROGRESS BAR WITH THE DOG, HA HA!

Installed Contributions: AJAX Menu, AJAX Attributed Manager, AP URL ReWriting, Credit Class and Gift Vouchers, CCGV Report, Date of Birth PullDown, FCKEditor for Product Desc., Monthly Installment Payments, More Pictures 6, MSRP Savings, Must Agree to Terms on Checkout, Order Editor, Payment Method Fee, PopUp Promo, Private Messages, Purchase Order, Purchase Order Application, Secure Admin Login-Logout, STS Plus, SugarCRM Integration, Supertracker, Tax Exempt and Organization Discounts, Your Recent History.

23 Total Contributions Installed :)

Very different from other osCommerce sites. A creative customisation of osCommerce.

Personally I would improve the mouseover function of the javascript, so there's no initial rollover delay. But that's just me. :D

Hope that helps a bit. :thumbsup:

Hi Alpha Ray,

Thanks for checking out the site and for your feedback. I'm not an expert at javascript yet - are you talking about making sure the swap images are pre-loaded when the page is loaded for the first time?

Thanks!

Jennifer

Very different from other osCommerce sites.  A creative customisation of osCommerce.

Personally I would improve the mouseover function of the javascript, so there's no initial rollover delay.  But that's just me. :D

Hope that helps a bit. :thumbsup:

Hi Tami,

Thanks for your feedback and comments. I agree there is a lot to think about when selecting a host :o I will stick with my current host for now as they have been reliable and offer plenty of bandwidth and storage.

I appreciate you taking the time to explain how you navigated through the site. I am currently working on a few changes that I hope will make it easier for customers to get past the home page and understand what we are selling. Pictures of example gifts will also be added soon.

Thanks again!

Jennifer

Now to comment on the site:

I have to admit I was a little lost at first... Your navigation is good, but I just couldn't seem to find my way.

I almost missed the link in the body labeled "product selector". I clicked it and went to the "selector step 1 page".  Of course, I wasn't done reading what your products are (I clicked the link simply to try to figure out what you are selling) - so I hit the back button. Naturally when I was done reading, I then was at the bottom of the page and clicked on "Products" which is part of the breadcrumb trail the selector page. So you can imagine that I was really confused when I went back to the top of the page I was already on. Well, I figured out to click the "Shop" link, but it wasn't obvious right away.

As a dog fancier, I tried to look at your page from a customer's point of view (as you've gotten great feedback already (and some that I would have suggested, too).

So, in short:

I found it difficult to figure out what your site was selling - people scan the page for images that help "put it all together" and not have to read "all those words"... Perhaps your heading "Selecting a Product" could be more specific and/or adding more images.

On a side note, your store idea is VERY original and neat! Nice, clean layout. I'll have to tell the Sibes at home that they are "medium" - like a Cocker Spaniel. They'll love it! LOL ;)

Best Regards and Good Luck with your store!

Tami

:o

David,

Yep, the site is definitely serious. :D Thanks for your feedback - I have extended the cookie life. We have not had any trouble so far with charging in advance for our service. It seems to be less trouble than periodic charges against a credit card. I am currently working on some changes to improve the navigation and make it clear how to order our service.

Thanks!

Jennifer

Good site. I wasn't sure if this site was serious.

Then I noticed that is was an American site so it probably is for real  :P

The radio boxes that let you add more treats should probab;y be replaced by a single checkbox.

The checkout without account was a good idea. The cookie life needs to be extended though. I left my screen to have dinner and when I got back the shopping cart had been emptied and my details lost.

Are you able to get away with charging someone's credit card for a year's subcription? Usually you have to deliver within a couple of weeks. Perhaps you are making regular charges against their card.

It was a bit difficult to find the links to actually buy a product.

Taipa - The reason that the text links enlarge and don't spread sideways is that they are not text links at all but image links counningly disguised as text links.

David

For that, I added the links directly in footer.php.

Sample:

<td class="footerPolicy" align="center">

<?php echo '<a href=' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRIVACY). '>Privacy Policy</a> | ' . '<a href=' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_CONDITIONS). ' >Conditions of Use</a> | ' . '<a href=' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_CONTACT_US). '>Contact Us</a>'; ?>

</td>

Thanks,

Jennifer

I made some changes to the site header and index.php that will hopefully make the navigation more user-friendly. Wording changes from "Products" to "Product Info" and "Shop" to "Product Selector", etc....

Please let me know if this helps or hurts and if you have any additional suggestions.

This forum has really helped me to identify improvements after staring at the site for the last several months! :thumbsup:

Archived