• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Using Easy Populate (3rd party Q?)

Top_Speed

HI,

I've been forever seeking this answer and I would think EP users may know this...

Using MS Excel, I want to format a cell (v_products_model) to include a text tag prior (prefix) to the model number. This is mainly so I can't import a duplicate number from another manufacturer.

example:

v_products_model

1234-1

1235-2

1236-3

1237-4

etc...

cell formatted to:

v_products_model

hp_1234-1

hp_1235-2

hp_1236-3

hp_1237-4

etc...

Now I have formatted the cell (so I think anyway) from General to Custom using: "hp_"# and I have tried "hp_"0

doesn't work! only if I highlight the cell and retype the 1234 back in does it include the hp_ prefix.

Pls Help (I know this is not directly related to osC but I could not find any answers on their help site (most were complex calcultions etc...

THIS SHOULD BE EASY???? :blush:

Much appreciate any help, Thanks KJ

define('PROJECTS', 'Something that goes on forever!');

Not sure of the answer off the top of my head, but here is a place that should have the answer for you. DB Formums

They have bailed me out on a few occasions. Should be able to search and find what you need.

Installed Contributions: CCGV, Close Popup, Dynamic Meta Tags, Easy Populate, Froogle Data Feeder, Google Position, Infobox Header Entire Row, Live Support for OSC, PayPal Seal with CC images, Report_m Sales, Shop by Price Revised, SQL Updater, Who's Online Enhancement, Footer, GNA EP Assistant and still going.

Okay, I just fiddled with this and came up with the following:

Say column A conatins your current model number (1234), column B is going to get your prefixed number (hp_1234), and cell C1 contains your chosen prefix (hp_)

The formula to go in cell B2 is

=CONCATENATE($C$1, A1)

Then just copy/paste that down through the column and you have all your prefixed numbers. Maybe not the most elegant solution, but functional. I had to do something similar, and did it with search/replace in a text editor. This is much easier.

Edited by peteyfrogboy

Okay, I just fiddled with this and came up with the following:

Say column A conatins your current model number (1234), column B is going to get your prefixed number (hp_1234), and cell C1 contains your chosen prefix (hp_)

The formula to go in cell B2 is

=CONCATENATE($C$1, A1)

Then just copy/paste that down through the column and you have all your prefixed numbers. Maybe not the most elegant solution, but functional. I had to do something similar, and did it with search/replace in a text editor. This is much easier.

Appreciate the input VERY much... Works like you said but when I go to delete columns A & C the 2 with the building text/numbers, every thing is lost in Column B. How do I keep B with the formula minus the other Columns that built it????

Thanks again..

KJ

Hi Peteyfogboy....

I just fiddled a bit myself, you have a great suggestion but putting the two combining columns out past EOREOR, it keeps column B intact BUT when I use EP, it doesn't like the columns after the EOREOR.

Any Suggestions???

• 3 weeks later...

I might be way off base here, but isn't this the time that you would use Hide or Unhide a column? Then it wouldn't be in the text file that EP sees? I also open my file in Excel to change the column headings to match with EP. Might be way off here, but thought I might mention it just incase.

Appreciate the input VERY much... Works like you said but when I go to delete columns A & C the 2 with the building text/numbers, every thing is lost in Column B. How do I keep B with the formula minus the other Columns that built it????

Thanks again..

KJ

Ok... once you see everything in the B column displayed as you wish (using formulas etc) remove the formula.

My way (using your columns of course)...

1. Use formulas to make Column B look like you want

2. Highlight Column B

3. Click Copy

4. Click "Paste Special", text only.

5. Delete Column A and C

The exact mouse clicks vary based on your version of Excel but that's the general idea.

HTH,

Robert

Edited by Rob123