• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Something to Chew On

moonlitsun

Here's a somewhat unique site we developed. Removed the right column (keep it simple) and added some more navigation to the header.

Still has some out of box feel to it, but I believe it' a good, clean layout. We're adding dynamic header tags shortly.

Let me know your thoughts!

Lone Eagle Trading

Thx

Carpe Carp: Seize the Fish.

I'd remove the "Welcome Guest, ....". It's useless and just clutters up the screen. They can login with the normal controls WHEN they need to.

The grey text on the light grey boxes is kind of annoying. Maybe try making the box color a shade lighter, and, make the grey text a shade darker.

The "Privacy" button at the top is ligher grey then the rest.

Make the brown header bar a little thicker. Notice, it's slightly "off" right now (the text). That's because I've found you want to make the height an odd number of pixels. Example, use 19px instead of 18px or 20px. This will align the text perfectly.

I like the headers of the boxes. Nice.

Change the body text color from blue to the same color as the boxes. Grey. This will make the number counts in the cat box the same as the cat items. Also it will make the whole site look better I think. If you want to stay with blue, then I'd make the box text blue also.

Make the Search box text grey instead of blue.

I think the icons used on each page, such as the lock on the login screen, and all of those, they are too large. I'd make them about half the size.

Looks good!!

I'd remove the "Welcome Guest, ....".  It's useless and just clutters up the screen.  They can login with the normal controls WHEN they need to.

The grey text on the light grey boxes is kind of annoying.  Maybe try making the box color a shade lighter, and, make the grey text a shade darker.

The "Privacy" button at the top is ligher grey then the rest.

Make the brown header bar a little thicker.  Notice, it's slightly "off" right now (the text).  That's because I've found you want to make the height an odd number of pixels.  Example, use 19px instead of 18px or 20px.  This will align the text perfectly.

I like the headers of the boxes.  Nice.

Change the body text color from blue to the same color as the boxes.  Grey.  This will make the number counts in the cat box the same as the cat items.  Also it will make the whole site look better I think.  If you want to stay with blue, then I'd make the box text blue also.

Make the Search box text grey instead of blue.

I think the icons used on each page, such as the lock on the login screen, and all of those, they are too large.  I'd make them about half the size.

Looks good!!

Thanks for the input! We'll look at these suggestions and then post when we've made some of the improvements!

-Codi

Here's a somewhat unique site we developed.  Removed the right column (keep it simple) and added some more navigation to the header.

Still has some out of box feel to it, but I believe it' a good, clean layout.  We're adding dynamic header tags shortly.

Let me know your thoughts!

Lone Eagle Trading

Thx

make sure you have an about_us.php now it goes 404

suggest: turn off cat counts will improve performance a lot.

empty space below footer is kind of large

don't fancy the brown bar in combination with your blue logo, a taste thing.

Treasurer MFC

I'm liking what you got done with your header and the sidebar headers... not a fan of the brown either thou. You have alot of text in images which causes big filesizes. Your graphic headers are nice but could be a third of the size if you remove the text from the image and float the text over top of them. Same with your header, at almost 30k thats alot to swallow for a dialup user, just for a small portion of your site.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. We've installed the About Us page and removed the category counts, as per suggested.

Actually, this is the color theme our client wanted...so go figure! ;)

Thx Again

Still has some out of box feel to it
Agreed.

but I believe it' a good, clean layout.
Agreed.

You have a very large gap at the bottom of every page. Did you use that awful "center shop" mod - as that usually happens with that particular contribution...

If you can remove that gap the site would be more pleasing.

I particularly like the "polaroid" effect in the header. The "pageHeading" images are too large, so these waste some valuable real estate space on your pages. You could amend the code slightly and then float the images to the right, which would allow the page contents to sit nicer (I would particularly look at doing this on the index page).

Having looked at it a bit more, I'm not so sure on the site, most of it is nice, then it's spoiled by having the "normal osC" footer bar and headernavigation bar. Have a think about increasing the height of these two bars, and giving them a border, or a shadow maybe. Just something to move these areas away from the standard look..

In the header area, I would like to see those buttons (about us, new stuff etc etc) change when you are on the particular page. So when I'm on the about_us page, the grey button should stand out (somewhat like the "specials" button)...

hth

Burt,

Some very good suggestions. They are greatly appreciated. Yes, we DID in fact use the CenterShop contrib. I agree that the space beneath the site is displeasing. We'll see what we can do to tighten it up.

I agree that a modified header image based on the page you're navigating to is a good idea. In fact, I'd much rather do it that way. However, I'm sure you understand how client budgets can be....

I too am fond of a more modified header and footer bar. We'll have to look into that as an option...at least with a possible shadow effect.

Thanks for the input on the table images. We'll make sure future ones show up as 100x100 or right about there.

Thx Again

Archived