• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Session in Admin Setup

oldworldcharms

I should be ready soon to go live but I need a little information on the Sessions set up. Can someone please give a short explaination of: Force Cookie Use, Check SSL Session ID, Check User Agent. Check IP Address, Prevent Spider Sessions, Recreate Session.

Thanks

Elizabeth

Force Cookie Use only works if you have no SSL at all, or a full SSL - doesn't work with shared SSL. When it is in operation it generates the session in a cookie, and so no session ids are generated on the page. This also means that search engines when visiting don't generate sessions. If you can't use Force Cookie Use then you set Prevent Spider Sessions to 'true' to prevent search engines from generating session ids of their own, and filling up the shopping cart with hundreds (or thousands) of items.

Check SSL Session ID, Check User Agent. Check IP Address - leave these set to false - else AOL users will never be able to buy from your site.

Recreate Session - judgement call. This creates a new session when moving between areas of your site, to prevent the session trail getting broken (in theory).

Vger

Force Cookie Use only works if you have no SSL at all, or a full SSL - doesn't work with shared SSL.  When it is in operation it generates the session in a cookie, and so no session ids are generated on the page.  This also means that search engines when visiting don't generate sessions.  If you can't use Force Cookie Use then you set Prevent Spider Sessions to 'true' to prevent search engines from generating session ids of their own, and filling up the shopping cart with hundreds (or thousands) of items.

Check SSL Session ID, Check User Agent. Check IP Address - leave these set to false - else AOL users will never be able to buy from your site.

Recreate Session - judgement call.  This creates a new session when moving between areas of your site, to prevent the session trail getting broken (in theory).

Vger

I hope you don't mind me asking a related question to this:

Force Cookie Use I have disabled, Check SSL Session ID, Check User Agent. Check IP Address are set to false but Recreate Session I have set to true. This works fine until I noticed today that I sometimes get a URL with two oscid-ID's in it and this worries me a little bit. My (test) shop still works but when you go to the cart contents and choose to continue shopping from there you will not go to the appropriate category anymore. I now for sure this happens when you are in the middle of a checkout procedure and decide to continue shopping afterall. When you click cart contents and than the Continue Shopping button you are returned to the last checkout page instead of a shopping category what you expect.

It's weird but if I understand correctly this could be because of the Recreate Session set to true or is this just by design ?

I hope you can and will shed some light on this for me !

Archived