• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Who's Online Enhancement 1.4

Ed,

What would be the impact of switching to mysql session storage? Can you (or anyone) point me to any resorces with information on this? I'd like to try it to see if I get the cart data, and ideally keep it, but I don't want to break anything else or cause other problems. I read earlier in this thread something about using mysql if you have alot of traffic. I have roughly 600-700 visitors per day, and about 8000-9000 page views per day. Is that considered high enough traffic to benefit from a switch to mysql?

thanks

scott

Edited by Luchysoft

Prevent Spider Sessions: On or Off? TRUE

Force Cookie Use: On or Off? TRUE

Cache: On or Off? FALSE

Brackets: Original or tweaked? Doesn't matter, the same both ways.

Environment: Windows/IIS or *nix/Apache? nix/Apache

Sessions: File or MySQL? mysql

Scott,

I'm not a DB person. Chemo or someone else on the forums might know about the performance trade-offs.

I believe I've corrected the problem with using files for session storage. At least, I can switch to files and see the right colored light for inactive/active and cart/no cart (and bot/not bot). I can also see the cart contents.

There are a couple of problems, it took a fair amount of code and I made the changes on my current WOE 1.6 draft files. So, it's not easy to post the solution here. It also hasn't been fully tested.

ed

Scott,

I hope to have 1.6 out in a few weeks. Here's what it currently includes:

- Fix for Sessions stored in files :P

- Detection of Bots based on Prevent Spider Sessions - i.e. No more hardcoded IP addresses

- Stripping of osCsid from Last URL - cleaner look.

- New "User Session?" column.

- New Profile data for Bots, Customers, All, None - i.e. lists additional info like User Agent, osCsid, Referrer, etc. under each entry in WOL. All Kudos to BoulderDash for this!

- Bot status lights for Bot/Active and Bot/Inactive.

- Color coded entries - i.e. set text color for Bots, Admin, Customers. More kudos to BoulderDash for this idea.

- Now using tep_get_ip_address() instead of $_SERVER["REMOTE_ADDR"] or getenv('remote_addr') - Some people complained they got no IP address data.

- Customization variables moved to the top for easy editing - i.e. inactive time, status light images, refresh rates.

What it still needs:

- Visitors are not being counted correctly.

- Display osCsid in Bot Profile for Bots that don't listen to Prevent Spider Sessions

What it would be nice to have:

- Display Product or Category instead of Last URL

Anyone interested in Beta testing? PM me.

ed

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just downloaded and installed v 1.2 b 2 -

It doesnt seem like the lights are working correctly - Im only seeing green and yellow lights thus far, whether an item is in the cart or not...

Any ideas?

My sessions are stored in mysql in my config.php file

I do have Chemo's UltimateSEO urls mod and the "change Buy Now links to forms" mod installed, but not sure if this should effect anything.

Everything seems to work, ie if i click on the useer i can see the cart contents, but just the lights (red and blue) dont work right. They do work for active/inactive just not cart/nocart...?

Jon,

I have Chemo's contrib running with my current 1.6 alpha with no problems. You said you installed v1.2b2 but I'm assuming you menat v1.5b2. I disagree with the "fix" that 1.5b2 introduced. The only difference is a curly brace. See the discussion higher up in this thread. There's a block of code near the bottom of whos_online.php that searches for curly braces and deceremnts or increments a variable called $tag. In my opinion, the first curly brace should be open { and the second closed }.

Try that.

ed

okay,

i changed it so the first bracket is open and the second closed. Same result, when first hitting the site the light is already green, and the only part that works is the active/inactive not the cart/nocart red,blue lights...

Anything else i could try..?

Jon,

I might suggest you could beta test 1.6. If you're interested, let me know. I might put up a Beta in Contributions on Tuesday or Wednesday. Heading out of town for the weekend.

ed

Sounds good - i will definately test it, seeing as it doesnt really effect the store functionality, its more of a bells and whistles featues.. but would be nice to instantly see who has products in the cart.

I appreciate it, and will check the contribs for updates next week

thanks for the help

I have just released Who's Online Enhancement v1.6 Beta

Updates in v1.6 Beta include:

- Hopefully, fixes problem with Sessions stored in files

- Detection of Bots based on Prevent Spider Sessions - i.e. No more hardcoded IP addresses

- Stripping of osCsid from Last URL - cleaner look

- New "Session?" column

- New Profile data for Bots, Customers, All, None - i.e. lists additional info like User Agent, osCsid, Referrer, etc. under each entry in WOL. All Kudos to BoulderDash for this!

- Bot status lights for Bot/Active and Bot/Inactive

- Color coded entries - i.e. set text color for Bots, Admin, Customers. More kudos to BoulderDash for this idea

- Now using tep_get_ip_address() instead of $_SERVER["REMOTE_ADDR"] or getenv('remote_addr') - Some people complained they got no IP address data

- Customization variables moved to the top for easy editing - i.e. inactive time, status light images, refresh rates

What it still needs:

- Visitors are not being counted correctly

- Display osCsid in Bot Profile for Bots that don't listen to Prevent Spider Sessions

- Display User Agent for Guests to determine if they are really an unknown Bot!

Please let me know if this fixes any known issues or adds new ones. The lists above detail what's new and what's not yet done. I am releasing this as a Beta because of the known problems with Sessions. Feedback in this forum from people with known Session problems, and any other problems or suggestions, is greatly appreciated.

ed

Hi,

thank you for this great contrib.. The only problem with this one is that me and my wife are using a lot of our time to watch the customers.. Exciting.. :-"

I've changed to your new release, but I get an error message :

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: tep_get_ip_address() in xxxxxx/admin/whos_online.php on line 344

Any idea of what it can be? I hope so, because me and my wife may need to do other things while waiting for a sollution. :D

Just installed it and no visitors are showing. As the method of grabbing the IP has changed it could simply be my setup not working with tep_get_ip_address() for some reason. I'll look into it and let people know the result in case someone else gets the same prob.

I have just released Who's Online Enhancement v1.6 Beta

Updates in v1.6 Beta include:

- Hopefully, fixes problem with Sessions stored in files

- Stripping of osCsid from Last URL - cleaner look

- New "Session?" column

- Bot status lights for Bot/Active and Bot/Inactive

- Color coded entries - i.e. set text color for Bots, Admin, Customers. More kudos to BoulderDash for this idea

- Now using tep_get_ip_address() instead of $_SERVER["REMOTE_ADDR"] or getenv('remote_addr') - Some people complained they got no IP address data

- Customization variables moved to the top for easy editing - i.e. inactive time, status light images, refresh rates

What it still needs:

- Visitors are not being counted correctly

- Display User Agent for Guests to determine if they are really an unknown Bot!

Please let me know if this fixes any known issues or adds new ones.  The lists above detail what's new and what's not yet done.  I am releasing this as a Beta because of the known problems with Sessions.  Feedback in this forum from people with known Session problems, and any other problems or suggestions, is greatly appreciated.

ed

I changed back to the contrib : Who'sOnlineEnhancement1.5b_2, and now everything back to normal.

Hello Bilba, :)

Great contrib, but after i update my 1.52 to 1.6 now i have a fatal error.

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: tep_get_ip_address() in /my site/my site/my site/my site/admin/whos_online.php on line 516

Please can you help me ?

Cheers

Hobbes

Edited by Hobbes_TheReal

Sorry folks!

I forgot one small change. Add the following code to the bottom (just before the final ?> tag) of admin\includes\functions\general.php:

function tep_get_ip_address() {
   if (isset($_SERVER)) {
     if (isset($_SERVER['HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR'])) {
       $ip = $_SERVER['HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR'];
     } elseif (isset($_SERVER['HTTP_CLIENT_IP'])) {
       $ip = $_SERVER['HTTP_CLIENT_IP'];
     } else {
       $ip = $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];
     }
   } else {
     if (getenv('HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR')) {
       $ip = getenv('HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR');
     } elseif (getenv('HTTP_CLIENT_IP')) {
       $ip = getenv('HTTP_CLIENT_IP');
     } else {
       $ip = getenv('REMOTE_ADDR');
     }
   }

return $ip;
 }

I will update the contrib with this in a minute.

ed

Ed

Below is a link to a screen shot of my layout modified version of 1.5.

Do you want the code to include in your 1.6 version?

Specifically the:

1. Set Refresh

2. Last Refresh: (just Javascript)

3. Botton Stats

Screen shot of Who is Online

John

EDIT

Or file, may be easier for you!

Edited by Gob

Just a small bug,

In the explanations of the lights at the top right of the page it displays this

Active/Cart Active/Cart Inactive/Cart Inactive/Cart

Active/NoCart Active/NoCart Inactive/NoCart Inactive/NoCart

TEXT_STATUS_ACTIVE_BOT TEXT_STATUS_ACTIVE_BOT TEXT_STATUS_INACTIVE_BOT TEXT_STATUS_INACTIVE_BOT

Just a typo I suppose but can I easily correct it

Shane

Ed

Below is a link to a screen shot of my layout modified version of 1.5.

Do you want the code to include in your 1.6 version?

Specifically the:

1. Set Refresh

2. Last Refresh: (just Javascript)

3. Botton Stats

John,

Please e-mail me the file through my profile.

ed

Just a small bug,

In the explanations of the lights at the top right of the page it displays this

Active/Cart Active/Cart    Inactive/Cart Inactive/Cart 

Active/NoCart Active/NoCart    Inactive/NoCart Inactive/NoCart 

TEXT_STATUS_ACTIVE_BOT TEXT_STATUS_ACTIVE_BOT    TEXT_STATUS_INACTIVE_BOT TEXT_STATUS_INACTIVE_BOT 

Shane and everyone else!,

I meant this to beta test the features and session fix, not the install! My fault. Add the following to admin/includes/languages/LANGUAGE_OF_CHOICE/whos_online.php:

define('TEXT_STATUS_ACTIVE_BOT', 'Active/Bot');
define('TEXT_STATUS_INACTIVE_BOT', 'Inactive/Bot');

Shane,

Are you getting the lights?

Thanks,

Ed

I tried the beta 1.6 version, was fine at first then got this

on the bottom line where the light should be:

0 -

select session_id, time_entry, time_last_click from whos_online where session_id='8bd5d664bce7373f84ed49c734493bbd'

[TEP STOP]

if you click the TEP STOP link (it's a link sometimes) it fixes that line, but the next one does the same thing, so you click the TEP STOP link to fix that line etc... keeps going to the last line then it won't fix the last line.