• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Multiple box sizes ?

musicollect

Hi all,

I'm based in Australia and have been trying to establish the best way to handle domestic shipping (which is dependant on box dimensions). International post is purely based on overall weight.

The existing shipping modules that I found for Australia Post all seem to only allow for one set of dimensions per shipping method (standard mail, express post).

And of course, the Shipping/Packing section of Admin only allows for one "Tare Weight" for the entire system.

Is there any way to enter specific dimensions for each product and have this passed on to the shipping modules? For example, if I could have extra fields in the product database table for height, width & depth and then these figures would be passed to the shipping choice made at checkout.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Greg

Hi all,

I'm based in Australia and have been trying to establish the best way to handle domestic shipping (which is dependant on box dimensions). International post is purely based on overall weight.

The existing shipping modules that I found for Australia Post all seem to only allow for one set of dimensions per shipping method (standard mail, express post).

And of course, the Shipping/Packing section of Admin only allows for one "Tare Weight" for the entire system.

Is there any way to enter specific dimensions for each product and have this passed on to the shipping modules? For example, if I could have extra fields in the product database table for height, width & depth and then these figures would be passed to the shipping choice made at checkout.

Greg

Hello

Like yourself I am based in Australia and am interested in doing the same thing.

I had a look at catalog/admin/categories.php around line 583

This is the code that creates the text box where you add the weight of your product in the admin.

<tr>
           <td class="main"><?php echo TEXT_PRODUCTS_WEIGHT; ?></td>
           <td class="main"><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '24', '15') . ' ' . tep_draw_input_field('products_weight', $pInfo->products_weight); ?></td>
</tr>

If I were to cut and paste these lines 3 times so that there were now four blocks of the same thing so I could change 3 of them for width, length and height.

That's a very small step in the right direction.

Now I am a bit of a hack at this so I would probably be guessing but you could search for all the references to TEXT_PRODUCTS_WEIGHT and make 3 copies of the lines of code and change WEIGHT for WIDTH, LENGTH and HEIGHT.

As you have suggested you will have to add these items to the database.

I should add that I would back up the database and admin/categories.php because this is sure to get very messy.

There will no doubt be a whole lot of other files to change so it could take a while. You could wait until somebody knowlegeable comes along or you could jump in and have some fun. Work on a copy of your test copy so that if you break it you can just start again.

hth James

Hi all,

Greg

you could also look at the shipping contributions Dimensional weight

there may be some clues there

james

Thanks for your response James.

Yes, I was thinking along the same lines.

I've already started "cannibalizing" various other parts of the code so am getting a little used to doing this now....

I guess it's the only real way to make things work the way you want them to.

I'm always on the lookout for new contributions as some of these mods can be very handy and save a lot of time.

Kind regards

Greg

The Canada Post shipping module is set up for weight, and HxLxW. It might also offer some clues for you or you could just hack it to work with Australia Post.