• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

NY State Sales Tax- Help Please!

isrbrown

OK I am throwing up my hands and pushing my laptop far far away from myself. I have been attempting to use the Mods that are available for Correctly charge Sales tax to my potential customers. GRRRR :'(

Everything is very very helpful and would easily be manipulated by someone with experience in doing so. I am not well versed in the codes I need and while I sit down and read very carefully I cannot seem to catch on here.

I have 9 tax rates for 90 or so Counties and Municipalities within NY State. Only one has a majority but even that accounts for 50 different locations. Is there anyone out there who is successfully using OSC and charging sales tax to NY State customers?

I wanted to be able to start advertising my site by this weekend. Clearly since I have been unable to bash the heck out of the Sales Tax problem I really cannot do that. I don't mind alot of data entry. And would share my work if I can get it done correctly. It needs to work. :(

Please help.....

Thank you in advance

Heather Thompson

Lyn's Fiber to Fabric

For the record... I have not seen any examples for states with different tax rates for numerous counties. I have looked at all the examples and am having problems correlating them based on the one modification that is available to NY I need to be able to base my customer's sales tax (in the event they are domiciled in NYS) or I need to disallow all purchases from NY. I don't want to disallow any purchases within the US.

Dealing w/ 90 jurisdictions and 9 rates How do I drill this down so that it meshes!

Again I wanted to clarify that I have looked at the info and modifications available. I need some in depth and detailed help specific to handling NY State Sales Tax.

tia (again)

Heather Thompson

Lyn's Fiber to Fabric

For the record... I have not seen any examples for states with different tax rates for numerous counties.  I have looked at all the examples and am having problems correlating them based on the one modification that is available to NY I need to be able to base my customer's sales tax (in the event they are domiciled in NYS) or I need to disallow all purchases from NY.  I don't want to disallow any purchases within the US.

Dealing w/ 90 jurisdictions and 9 rates How do I drill this down so that it meshes!

Again I wanted to clarify that I have looked at the info and modifications available.  I need some in depth and detailed help specific to handling NY State Sales Tax.

tia (again)

Same nightmare here! on top of that NY charges for shipping where other states don't (my store requires charing for NJ as well)

I have spent hours on, tried several contribs, nothing has worked thus far. Temporarily i am putting in the state as counties :: NY_ALBANY, NY_ALLEGHANY, etc, but its not an optimal long term solution.

ok WELL ....

let us NY OS commerce users come up with a working contrib.. this is horrible. We have to pay the taxes and omg now I feel even more for the vendors that operate in this state. Sighs Can i out source this?

Heather Thompson

Lyn's Fiber to Fabric

Same nightmare here! on top of that NY charges for shipping where other states don't (my store requires charing for NJ as well)

I have run several online shops in NY State for over 6 years.... (not is osC however which I'm changing over to)

We have never charged tax on shipping nor should you??? Only the county (i.e. Seneca County 8.25% would be on merchandise only and if it's only shipped to that county). So a NY resident with a shipping address to Florida for example would have no tax.

Now working effectively with osC and NY State taxes may still be a problem, I'm going to whittle with it now.

Kind regards, KJ (Top_Speed)

define('PROJECTS', 'Something that goes on forever!');

I have run several online shops in NY State for over 6 years.... (not is osC however which I'm changing over to)

We have never charged tax on shipping nor should you??? Only the county (i.e. Seneca County 8.25% would be on merchandise only and if it's only shipped to that county). So a NY resident with a shipping address to Florida for example would have no tax.

Now working effectively with osC and NY State taxes may still be a problem, I'm going to whittle with it now.

Kind regards, KJ (Top_Speed)

I have checked this over with an accountant and she assures me that if you have a business presence in New York state, you must charge tax on shipping to New York state shipping addresses in addition to collecting tax for the county it is shipped to. So if the base ny tax is 4.25, and you ship to say, albany county, you must add the additional 4.0 cty levy to the subtotal PLUS shipping

http://nystax.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nystax....wYWdlPTE*&p_li=

If you charge your customer for shipping or delivery on the sale of tangible personal property or tangible personal property on which a taxable service has been performed, the amount on which the sales tax is to be computed includes your charges for shipping or delivery. However, if the customer arranges delivery by a third person and pays this person directly, the third person?s delivery charge is not taxable

http://nystax.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nystax....hZ2U9MQ**&p_li=

Bastille,

Are you talking about handling charges? Or as a NY Business am I to tax on top of for example USPS or UPS? Wow... cuz you can't tax a tax (and the taxes we pay at UPS are included meaning extra wild calculations) I can see taxing handling charges as you are taxing a service that is taxable (hence my reasoning behind no handling charges for my Business).

Double check with your accountant. What shipping method are you using btw?

these are important issues.

:)

H

I have checked this over with an accountant and she assures me that if you have a business presence in New York state, you must charge tax on shipping to New York state shipping addresses in addition to collecting tax for the county it is shipped to. So if the base ny tax is 4.25, and you ship to say, albany county, you must add the additional 4.0 cty levy to the subtotal PLUS shipping

http://nystax.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nystax....wYWdlPTE*&p_li=

If you charge your customer for shipping or delivery on the sale of tangible personal property or tangible personal property on which a taxable service has been performed, the amount on which the sales tax is to be computed includes your charges for shipping or delivery. However, if the customer arranges delivery by a third person and pays this person directly, the third person?s delivery charge is not taxable

http://nystax.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nystax....hZ2U9MQ**&p_li=

Edited by isrbrown

Heather Thompson

Lyn's Fiber to Fabric

Bastille,

Are you talking about handling charges?  Or as a NY Business am I to tax on top of for example USPS or UPS?  Wow... cuz you can't tax a tax (and the taxes we pay at UPS are included meaning extra wild calculations) I can see taxing handling charges as you are taxing a service that is taxable (hence my reasoning behind no handling charges for my Business).

Double check with your accountant.  What shipping method are you using btw?

these are important issues.

:)

H

The quote is from the state of ny. not me :)

So for example, you have an item 90.00, and its 10.00 to ship

total= 100.

That amount is taxed not the 90.00

Guess our accountant was still in the 1991 law :rolleyes:

Actually we have a 3rd party doing the shipping so ours does apply as non taxable for shipping BUT, you are correct 100% for independents (you do your own & collect) shipping to your own state.

Good links, replies.

Cheers!

• 1 year later...

I realize this is an old comment but I wanted to let people who are searching for an answer to this problem know that I have developed one. I have not had the time to develop it into a module yet, but I would gladly share my code with those who need it. Right now mine is developed for NY state. Contact me if you have questions.

You can see it at http://www.simplifiedbuilding.com

• 1 month later...
I realize this is an old comment but I wanted to let people who are searching for an answer to this problem know that I have developed one. I have not had the time to develop it into a module yet, but I would gladly share my code with those who need it. Right now mine is developed for NY state. Contact me if you have questions.

I would be very interested in this. I have an osc store in NYS, and the tax is a nightmare.

Ed

Nice try but sorry, not correct-

(i.e.) Geneva... the town part is in Seneca Co. some in Ontario Co. (NEXT) Then there is the triple factor of the tax going to the city itself! (City of Geneva). Even if these were the same (7%) tax they have to be paid to their respective county (or city!).

Please look at NYS Sales Tax PUBLICATION 718

@nd a problem with the drop down box is mispelled NY inputs. I tested yours and it works only on: NY and New York... what if (morans have you know will...) input N.Y. or other variations... it doesn't work then.

I commend you on a very nice try however!, the city lookup is cool but as noted above is worthless when dealing with multiple counties per city and the city tax itself in some situations :)

BOTTOM line, NYS taxes are complex and so is collecting the taxes correctly (hey, the state should pay us 1/2 to do this crap!!) hehe.

I still say my method is the easiest, just build your county tax to include the cities and let the customer choose the correct one. Anyone is welcome to see this in action: Go Karts R us

i use a very very similar method that kj miller uses. I even posted the zone setup I use here:

see this topic

(and slightly off topic: actually I am "right down the road" {20-25 miles} from Go Karts R us and set up a booth and sell my handmade merchandise at the Seneca Lake Whale Watch Event every year...)

back on topic: I implement the contribution country state selector, along with the (edited for NY) Ohio Tax zones.

AND NOTE: The tax zones I posted then are now slightly different because the publication 718 mentioned is updated multiple times throughout the year...you will need to update it before using, and again throughout the year as the tax rates fluctuate.

country state selector is important for this to work because the customer can never type in a mispelled county, it is a dropdown selection, not a text box.

I've seen people wanting to use zip codes for NY tax rates too...

ripped from the pub 718:

Reporting codes, rather than ZIP codes, should be used

for identifying customer location. (Postal zones usually do

not coincide with political boundaries, and the use of ZIP

codes for tax collection results in a high degree of inaccurate

tax reporting.)

Edited by ArtRat

• 2 weeks later...

I think a lot of folks would like an easy tax setup (in any state). My static method is pretty easy but as noted, you have to update the counties and cities (changing rates) all the stinking time!. Some change just a 1/4% and bi-monthly, it's a game where I wish they could only do this once a year but it's more like 6 times a year for some counties!

Off topic: ArtRat... When your at the next Whale Watch in Geneva, come on down to the docks and say Hi! (always plenty of refreshments on board), my boat is a 29ft Sport Cruiser (off white w/ navy blue strip). I am the leader of the lighted boat parade (Sat nite) every year as well and If it's sunny & hot during the day(s) my g/f always flaunts a skimpy thong bikini ....so just look for the sunbather thats getting all the pics snapped of her on my bow/sundeck :)

Cheers!

KJ

Edited by Top_Speed