• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

PayPal sign up optional now. Any new Modules?

ChanceR

Hello everyone.

PayPal recently changed their policy regarding the sign up of new users. This means that now customers who are not registered with PayPal no longer have to go through the process of signing up with PayPal before paying. They can simply Pay using their credit card and only AFTER the payment, they are given the OPTION to sign up with PayPal if they choose so.

This is a great improvement as payments through PayPal are now hassle free like paying through any other credit card processor.

Now the problem is that although I have chosen that option on PayPal's web site, the check out process on my OsCommerce site hasn't changed. People are still going through the same old process.

I assume this has to do with the Payment module on OsCommerce. It simply bypasses any general settings by PayPal and it's still doing things the old way.

Am I correct assuming this? If I am, is there a revised PayPal Payment module available that allows me to take advantage of this new feature? Is there any way to manually change those options in the PayPal module?

Thank you all in advance.

It is already there. Do a test order and go to PayPal, in the center you will see

If you do not currently have a PayPal account BUTTON

Just click there to send payment with no account.

L8r,

PopTheTop

Published osC Contributions:

- eCheck Payment Module v3.1

- Reviews in Product Display v2.0

- Fancier Invoice & Packingslip v6.1

- Admin Notes / Customer Notes v2.2

- Customer Zip & State Validation v2.2

- Search Box with Dropdown Category Menu v1.0

Pop your camper's top today!

It's a popup thing...

You wouldn't understand

It is already there. Do a test order and go to PayPal, in the center you will see

If you do not currently have a PayPal account  BUTTON

Just click there to send payment with no account.

Yes. The "do not have a Paypal account" has always been there and still is. But once you click on it, it still asks people to enter the credit card information AND sign up with PayPal. It should only ask people for their credit card info and take them through the purchase. The option to sign up with PayPal should only be presented AFTER the sale is complete.

Yes. The "do not have a Paypal account" has always been there and still is. But once you click on it, it still asks people to enter the credit card information AND sign up with PayPal. It should only ask people for their credit card info and take them through the purchase. The option to sign up with PayPal should only be presented AFTER the sale is complete.

chance, did you get a response to this. I agree completely with you, and am looking for how to change the process. People should be able to checkout - then sign up if they want.

Also, does anyone know how to change the text

"Credit Card or

You do not need to be a PayPal member to pay by credit card [info] " which shows up under the PayPal option. If PayPal is still going to ask people to signup before providing their credit card #, then I just want it to say PayPal and have no details below it. That way people can choose PayPal or Secure Credit Card which I currently have through PSIGate.

Thanks

Teresa

chance, did you get a response to this. 

Well, I'm hoping for a response from someone who knows about it here. By the way, it may indeed be a problem with PayPal itself and not necessarily the Module but that remains to be seen. I'm going to create an invoice manually and outside my web site to see if it works or not in the first place.

The reason I say this is that the option now seems to be missing from PayPal. They tell you where to go to see and set it up but as of today, that option isn't there anymore which tells me they might have had problems implementing it and they might be working on it.

To set it, log in to your PayPal account and then go to the Profile subtab, click on Website Payment Preferences under the Selling Preferences column, and check the yes/no box under PayPal Account Optional. (As mentioned, that option is missing today at least in my account.)

The new "sign up optional" flow will be used if your account has been activiated. You don't have to do anything to your osC integration to get it.

If you are not seeing the new flow (check the upper right for "breadcrumbs" in the "not a PayPal user" branch), the best thing to do is contact customer service who will be able to turn it "on" for you.

Patrick Breitenbach

Well... finally found out the problem.

The account option which would allow customers to use their credit cards and then optionally sign up for paypal is NOT AVAILABLE IN CANADA.

I don't know about other international paypal accounts, but I finally got through to a live Customer Service Rep with Paypal and they found out after some delay that the optional account feature is only available on US Accounts.

That Sucks!!

Case closed I guess.

Teresa in Petawawa, CANADA

The account option which would allow customers to use their credit cards and then optionally sign up for paypal is NOT AVAILABLE IN CANADA

Just found out, the hard way :( ,that it's the same in the Netherlands (customers trying to pay with their creditcard but quit before finishing, because they were dissapointed: after signing up at the shop, they had to start all over again and create an account at PayPal)

Hopefully the optional signup feature will be introduced for non US citizens too someday.

Would anybody know of any PayPal alike alternative, that do offer cc payments without the need for the buyer to create an account?