• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Website Bandwidth: what uses it most?

blucollarguy

I am trying to better understand the bandwidth usage on the internet. Website specific obviously, how is it measured? What types of visitors eat up the most? Robots, pictures, html, external sheets or code? Any body know? I have suddenly almost maxxed out my bandwidth(10gig) and am wondering if I did something, or is it just the fact that I have many new visitors this month.

Thanks.

Craig :)

Happy Coding!

Craig Garrison Sr

Anything worth having, is worth working for.

Multi Vendor Shipping V1.1 Demo Catalog

3 Vendors, each category, "buy" a product from each category to see how MVS works during checkout.

Multi Vendor Shipping V1.1 Demo Admin

login: [email protected]

pass: mvs_demo

MVS Thread:

Multi-Vendor Shipping

My contribs:

Download Multi Vendor Shipping V1.1

Vendor Email

Vendor Info in easypopulate

EZ Price Updater

And more to come!

How many visitors have u had ?

Just over 1000 so far this month. Mostly from Froogle and only one banner ad on an internet radio station. Plus about 800 robot hits. More than I have ever had and I am trying to figure out if it is just the increase in visitors, robots or what.

Any ideas? Craig :)

Happy Coding!

Craig Garrison Sr

3 Vendors, each category, "buy" a product from each category to see how MVS works during checkout.

MVS Thread:

Multi-Vendor Shipping

My contribs:

Vendor Email

EZ Price Updater

And more to come!

Just over 1000 so far this month. Mostly from Froogle and only one banner ad on an internet radio station. Plus about 800 robot hits. More than I have ever had and I am trying to figure out if it is just the increase in visitors, robots or what.

Any ideas? Craig :)

You have used 10gigs of bandwidth and have only had 1000 visitors?? That seems like an extremely high amount per visitor to me. The busiest osC site I have on my server ran 6.2 gigs with just under 9000 visitors last month.

The Knowledge Base is a wonderful thing.

Do you have a problem? Have you checked out Common Problems?

There are many very useful osC Contributions

Are you having trouble with a installed contribution? Have you checked out the support thread found Here

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP!!! You did backup, right??

You have used 10gigs of bandwidth and have only had 1000 visitors?? That seems like an extremely high amount per visitor to me. The busiest osC site I have on my server ran 6.2 gigs with just under 9000 visitors last month.

Yeah!

So what's the problem?

Something is not right. I recently enabled gzip compression, might that be causing a problem? There must be something that is causing this, it doesn't make sense.

Happy Coding!

Craig Garrison Sr

MVS Thread:

Multi-Vendor Shipping

My contribs:

Vendor Email

EZ Price Updater

And more to come!

Just looked at your website. At least a portion of the problem is that your images are fairly large. I strongly recommend installing one of the auto-thumbnail or large/small image contributions.

-jared

Have you protected your site against hotlinking? If you've got some hot graphics on your site, other sites may be linking to them directly and nicking your bandwidth...

"Buy the ticket, take the ride..." -HST

Just looked at your website. At least a portion of the problem is that your images are fairly large. I strongly recommend installing one of the auto-thumbnail or large/small image contributions.
  Check your logs or stats program from the control panel and see which files are eating the bandwidth...

Dynamic Html page or Script file - 5.05 GB 61.8 %

Gif Image - 3.03 GB - 37.1%

Pretty high huh? I have installed autothumbnailer, but apparrently that is not helping much. The HTML usage is a big problem, does anyone else use GZIP compression on their site? Maybe I have fallen into too much reading and assumed that would be better. That is the only thing that has changed other than the increase in traffic over the last 3 weeks. I am going to disable it and see if things calm down.

Have you protected your site against hotlinking? If you've got some hot graphics on your site, other sites may be linking to them directly and nicking your bandwidth...

I have not done this because I don't think anyone is linking to my site. I get a zero rank, so I don't think that is it.

Thaks to all for the suggestions, I will post back if I figure out what it was.

Happy Coding!

Craig Garrison Sr

MVS Thread:

Multi-Vendor Shipping

My contribs:

Vendor Email

EZ Price Updater

And more to come!

While some of your product thumbnails are a little heavy your banners are probably a much bigger problem especially the 4all memory one. I would suspend the banners and see how much of a difference that makes.

The Knowledge Base is a wonderful thing.

Do you have a problem? Have you checked out Common Problems?

There are many very useful osC Contributions

Are you having trouble with a installed contribution? Have you checked out the support thread found Here

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP!!! You did backup, right??

While some of your product thumbnails are a little heavy your banners are probably a much bigger problem especially the 4all memory one. I would suspend the banners and see how much of a difference that makes.

I have been considering cutting back on the ads, now would be a good time for it I guess!

thank Richard, Craig :)

Happy Coding!

Craig Garrison Sr

MVS Thread:

Multi-Vendor Shipping

My contribs:

Vendor Email

EZ Price Updater

And more to come!

I think your houst screwed up the bandwith counter.

Is there something specific that would suggest that?

Happy Coding!

Craig Garrison Sr

MVS Thread:

Multi-Vendor Shipping

My contribs:

Vendor Email

EZ Price Updater

And more to come!

More specifically, I would be wondering about number of pageviews and hits rather than visitors.

I did a quick calculation and although, not 100% accurate, you should be able to receive about 70,000 pageviews. And this is based on your heaviest page, so the number should be much higher.

I'd say there's something fishy about your host. Maybe their bandwidth counter is off or their doing it purposely. No offence, but their name (hostitcheap) , says it all for me

I would definitely cut down on the banners. Personally, it never made sense to me for an ecommerce shop to have them at all.

More specifically, I would be wondering about number of pageviews and hits rather than visitors.

I did a quick calculation and although, not 100% accurate, you should be able to receive about 70,000 pageviews.  And this is based on your heaviest page, so the number should be much higher.

I'd say there's something fishy about your host.  Maybe their bandwidth counter is off or their doing it purposely.  No offence, but their name (hostitcheap) , says it all for me

I would definitely cut down on the banners.  Personally, it never made sense to me for an ecommerce shop to have them at all.

Thanks for the specifics Colin. This host has been a stop gap for me, I am in the process of changing hosts as well as re-doing my site. But I did not think this seemed quite right. I will be switching hosts at the end of the month anyway so if it is them doing something funny, I am not going to panic about it.

Thanks again, Craig :)

Happy Coding!

Craig Garrison Sr

MVS Thread:

Multi-Vendor Shipping

My contribs:

Vendor Email

EZ Price Updater

And more to come!

Archived