• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Your opinions are welcome

bbunlock

The site I am going to give you a link to isnt live yet (20-nov-2004) but should be live within the next 10 days.

I must first say that the site isnt actualy mine but rather a customers site that I have designed and althought he customer is very happy with it I would also like your opinions on the work.

I have replaced just about every original os image that came with the store (including buttons) and I have added a number of modifications/contributions to the store.

anyway your opions on the design/layout are very welcome.

Power Tools Site

Please note that images, products and descriptions dont mean anything other than testing purposes at present, the site will be for Machine tools so any other images etc are for testing only till site is live.

anyway enough rambling by me please checkout the site.

regards

Center your customers store and put it into a fixed width table.

Well I must be honest I preffer to create sites that are not fixed width (800x600), I preffer to have a full page without the left and right blank space.

Change the title of your site from oscommerce to something else. Put in some meta tags for search engines.

I will be adding the meta section very soon, I have left that section untill near the end and consentrated onthe store itself for now.

thanks for you comments and suggestions so far they are much appriciated

regards

I assume you know there are a couple of broken links (About Us, Links).

Yes those pages are extra to oscommerce so I will be adding them very soon

I like the layout and colors.  Very nice.

Thank you, the colour wasnt my first choice as I made a blue version first but seeing as the site was called gingermen I also created a second theme whixh was yellow/orange to give it the "ginger" effect like the name.

I have to admit that when I told john (the client) about the "ginger" theme his exact words were "have you been smoking somthing" (jokingly)

I suppose saying it was a yellow/orange/ginger look kind of made it sound ugly but when he saw it he was very happy.

The name does not register with power tools but he is probably the bigest trader on ebay (uk) for power tools and has been for almost 5 years and his username onthere is gingermen so he is well known as that so decided to have his site named that.

anyway thanks for the comments and suggestions so far please keep them comming.

regards

Unless you are adding new products on a monthly basis, I find the New Products box somewhat of an embarrassment. I use the contribution that displays random products in that box and have renamed it.

Unless you are adding new products on a monthly basis, I find the New Products box somewhat of an embarrassment.  I use the contribution that displays random products in that box and have renamed it.

The site will be adding new products almost every week, he has almost 2 wharehouses full of products at the moment and new products will be added on a very regular basis.

the catagories on the left is only about half done as there are a lot more to add and there is (from what I am told) a very large amount of products to be added to the shop when it is completed.

As I said above please dont pay attention to the products and descriptions that are there now as they are only there for testing purposes only, every one of the catagories will have products in them when the site is finished.

can you also post the link to the random product contrib also as I will ask if he would preffer that instead of new product.

thank you

The site will be adding new products almost every week, he has almost 2 wharehouses full of products at the moment and new products will be added on a very regular basis.

the catagories on the left is only about half done as there are a lot more to add and there is (from what I am told) a very large amount of products to be added to the shop when it is completed.

As I said above please dont pay attention to the products and descriptions that are there now as they are only there for testing purposes only, every one of the catagories will have products in them when the site is finished.

can you also post the link to the random product contrib also as I will ask if he would preffer that instead of new product.

thank you

I think it is Random New Products 1.1

I also noticed that your site has no shipping or return policy or it is very hard to find. Also get an ssl cert if you are concerned with people's privacy. Your site really does not look good on my 1400 X1050 screen. But if you don't want to put your website in a fixed width table it's up to you. I recommend it. And you need to fixed the broken links as pointed out above.

Andrew Yuen

osCommerce, Community Team

well im going to stick with the autowidth as I have always done this but thanks for the suggestion.

as for the links they will all be fixed before the site actualy goes live, as for the return and shipping policy's well they will be added as soon as I have the info for them, chances are they will be added to a box under the catagories.

any other sugestions are welcome.

thanks for taking the time to check out the site so far its much appriciated.

regards

Archived