• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Templates / Layout

Mark Evans

As you might of seen from the current CVS we are introducing the concept of templates into the osCommerce administration tool.

These templates will also be integrated into the catalog area.

Please post any features / suggestions you have for the templates and general layout of osCommerce in this thread.

There will only be a single supported template engine for osCommerce. Any other template engines that are contributed will not be supported so please make sure you post your suggestions here to get the features added.

Any posts not related to the templates / layout are likely to be removed.

Mark Evans

osCommerce Monkey & Lead Guitarist for "Sparky + the Monkeys" (Album on sale in all good record shops)

---------------------------------------

Software is like sex: It's better when it's free. (Linus Torvalds)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well a template system for osC....wow!!

One thing I would suggest is that the box class be dropped or totally re-written, so each box can have a unique look and be able to place the box, on the left, center, right side of the page.

Control and ease of implementation are key here, so that most people will have a simple control system for moving, removing, and layout looks for each box.

Use of box tops and bottoms should be built into the system, so both boxes and modules can have this feature available with ease of use.

As well, I would suggest an admin tool which will allow users to upload a complete layout and one button to install the layout, and one button to use the layout.

As for what should the new layout look like? well you started a thread on this already, and I really do not feel it is an important issue, when compared to the functionality of the system.

Last, I would look to a dynamic button selection system. Now that the Gifs, will be available to the public without additional licencing soon (if not everywhere now). A system which would allow you to pick which button to use could be done via a dynamic generation system, which would give more flexability and allow buttons to be created with ease.....

Just a few thoughts.....

cheers,

Peter M.

Peter McGrath

-----------------------------

See my Profile (click here) for more information and to contact me for professional osCommerce support that includes SEO development, custom development and security implementation

Re-write as much as possible of the existing front end -> semantic HTML, eg;

-> <li> for lists rather than the tep functions

-> <div> as much as possible rather than nested tables (see my blog for an idea about infoboxes)

-> ability to turn off (and on) the columns, footer, header etc.

-> allow the buttons to be .css controlled (rather than use images).

-> clean up of all stray code

-> use of <hX> tags to denote importance, as well as <strong>, <em> etc

Some ideas for you to chew on.

Allow for the same product listing to be called from categories, what's new, specials, bestsellers, etc ... but also the modules (e.g. new products)

Have this product listing layout fully controlled by stylesheets so that you can go from a row to a column layout just by swapping stylesheets.

I personally would also like to have a show_produkt function that is typically used in the infoboxes that would allow for a uniform display with some control as to what items to show/not show, and any formatting driven by css.

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

Current lay-out is OK

Header

Headerbar

Main area, 3 col lay-out, 3 row boxes, left center and right

Footerbar

Footer

Lay-out incl. buttons by stylesheet.css

Navigation must be assured with JS turned OFF

Very much looking forward to the result :D

"If you're working on something new, then you are necessarily an amateur."

id like to see perhaps a standard html template thats easy for newbies to use and customise, but have the ability to work in complex templates, such as those that a lot are getting from Template Monster and Boxed Art.

So the ability to put any infobox anyway with specific sizing and style sheets would be very handy. Being ale to define different styles for each infobox would be a very big bonus.

I have seen some people ask for the ability for customers to select what template they want.... but why would you??? i think only a store admin should have this functionality.

The ability so say have different templates switchable based on the seasons, holidays etc would be a very neat option.

The ability so say have different templates switchable based on the seasons, holidays etc would be a very neat option.
:thumbsup:

In additon to that it would be very handy to have an override system for the templates. One template directory containing all default templates. And if a custom template directory is created the script will load custom template files if they exist. That way it will be very easy (and safe) to replace only the template files that need to be replaced.

:thumbsup:

In additon to that it would be very handy to have an override system for the templates. One template directory containing all default templates. And if a custom template directory is created the script will load custom template files if they exist. That way it will be very easy (and safe) to replace only the template files that need to be replaced.

I dont like this idea and think it adds un needed bloat to the feature.

Mark Evans

osCommerce Monkey & Lead Guitarist for "Sparky + the Monkeys" (Album on sale in all good record shops)

Thanks for the comments, I am sure we can come up with a sexy way to do most of this :)

Keep the suggestions coming! :thumbsup:

Mark Evans

I'd like to see the ability to use a different template based on category and/or product. If you have a store that sells holiday items, you might want a Halloween theme for listing Halloween products. Same for other holidays.

I'd like to see as much of the design in a CSS file as possible.

I dont like this idea and think it adds un needed bloat to the feature.

Calling it bloat seems a little bit exaggerated, I think it can be done by adding just a couple of lines of code, and will prevent having to copy about a hundred identical files for every template you have (which is bloat too?).

But I agree it's not a "must have" feature, if that's what you mean by bloat, it was just an idea.

Calling it bloat seems a little bit exaggerated, I think it can be done by adding just a couple of lines of code, and will prevent having to copy about a hundred identical files for every template you have (which is bloat too?).

But I agree it's not a "must have" feature, if that's what you mean by bloat, it was just an idea.

The couple of lines would need to be called on every page and every component of a page that can have its own template, meaning code is executed numerous times.

Whilst this code is only simple its will be excess for most people.

Mark Evans

The couple of lines would need to be called on every page and every component of a page that can have its own template, meaning code is executed numerous times.

That's true of course :)

The only duplicate files I can think of will be the images - the way the page will be formated should be done in CSS.

Sounds like MS3 will have a full CSS layout/design :thumbsup:

Sounds like MS3 will have a full CSS layout/design :thumbsup:

If your gonna do a job.... do it properly :P

Mark Evans

If your gonna do a job.... do it properly 

Is that the first, second, or thrid time?? :P

cheers,

Peter M

Peter McGrath

-----------------------------

See my Profile (click here) for more information and to contact me for professional osCommerce support that includes SEO development, custom development and security implementation

Is that the first, second, or thrid time?? :P

3rd time lucky? :-"

Mark Evans

the templates are a good idea..but from the design point of vue (sorry my point of vue)

i would favor more a developpment directed towards the pros,the artists....

templates have a way to destroy imagination and craftmanship.

and what we need is not a couple of templates

but a more friendly ways of making them

Templates have way to uniformize a variety of officials design by making them accessible to non-artist/designer... and eventually replace the artist by some machine way of designing

which produce a low quality of art as we see it in general everywhere ,

with only artist eyes to make the difference beetwen them!

and it is allways the same question.....

are you an artist /designer because you have the tool or because you have the idea?

my english is not so good so i apologize in advance for the typos and the grammar

thanks for your time.

paul.

the templates are a good idea..but from the design point of vue (sorry my point of vue)

i would favor more a developpment directed towards the pros,the artists....

templates have a way to destroy imagination and craftmanship.

and what we need is not a couple of templates

but a more friendly ways of making them

Templates have way to uniformize  a variety of officials design by making them accessible to non-artist/designer... and eventually replace the artist by some machine way of designing

which produce a low quality of art as we see it in general everywhere ,

with only artist eyes to make the difference beetwen them!

and it is allways the same question.....

are you an artist /designer because you have the tool or because you have the idea?

my english is not so good so i apologize in advance for the typos and the grammar

thanks for your time.

paul.

I have a varied background - originally a designer, then moved into information architecture. I recommend the use of templates for standardizing site elements - this simplifies navigation and use for the customer. Which in turn results in increased sales. Good design principles should be applied to all aspects of the site, but in my mind it makes sense to create standards for your site which remain constant. That can also help you reinforce your brand. All of this is subjective; the above is just my opinion.

I have a varied background - originally a designer, then moved into information architecture.  I recommend the use of templates for standardizing site elements - this simplifies navigation and use for the customer.  Which in turn results in increased sales.  Good design principles should be applied to all aspects of the site, but in my mind it makes sense to create standards for your site which remain constant.  That can also help you reinforce your brand.  All of this is subjective; the above is just my opinion.

yes i do understand I am trying to bring art to the design of my pages

....it is just a question of language . design is used at all sauces!

• 2 weeks later...

HI,

I HAVE AN OSCOMMERCE WEBSITE WWW.DVDTROOPER.COM.

I WANT TO CHANGE THE LAYOUT OF MY WEBSITE AND I SEE THAT THEIR ARE MANY TEMPLATES THAT YOU CAN DOWNLOAD FOR FREE.

THIS IS REALLY COOL AS YOU CAN DOWNLOAD TEMPLATES OF DIFFRENT COLOURS AND STYLES.

OK NOW MY QUESTION IUS THIS. HOW DO YOU INSTALL THESE TEMPLATES????

FOR EXAMPLE IF YOU LOOK AT MY WEBSITE THE TEMPLATE IS ALL GREY, I WANT TO CHANGE THIS TO A BLUE OR RED TEMPLATE AND I HAVE DOWNLOADED BOTH. I JUST DO NOT UNDERSTAND HOW I INSTALL THIS TEMPLATE.

CAN ANYBODY HELP ME???

I am not sure I understand completely the strategy of Oscommerce for some of the functionalities or modules.

Since they have so limited resources (no new releases after a year) , I do not think they should try to develop everything from scratch but on the contrary try to select good application filling the blank

There are already several GNU templates engines like smarty or even some .

I think it would be faster to integrate oscommerce with existing applications as module (like mambo does)

the advantage to integrate with other known applications is that developers may have worked already with some of them in past projects and would be more familiar and tempted to adopt a shopping cart.

The oscommerce stategy does not seem to recognise that very good other applications exist and could be integrated to save time and bring very good components.

If you follow that line of development, the next time you need to have a forum module, they will start a development from scratch instead of integrating with phbb or invision.

same for the ads. instead of trying to integrate for example with phpnewads which is a very flexible ad system , they just added their little module which lacks a lof of functionalities.

I could go on and on.

We could integrate with a very good newsletter/mailing list program instead of having a very limited module actually.

Have a look at all the open source application on hotscripts.com, i am pretty sure we could extend dramatically the power of oscommerce by integrating with some of them.

I would understand that Oscommerce developers would like to develop everything from scratch if they had 10,000 developers on their team. it is definitely not the case. not releasing a single version after a year shows the problem.

Thus I would really try to reassess my possibilities: is it better in the long term to integrate with other applications and release a version every 6 months with great functionalties or does oscommerce wants to do everything internally and release a version every 3 years ?

(of course I do not include all the contributions and the private developers. in my mind , they can not be considered part of the development team since in most of the cases, they do not have the time to follow the code standards of the latest applications, thus giving tremendous headeaches just to install some of them. and even worse if trying to upgrade to the new code level of MS3)

I was very hopeful about oscommerce but I am less and less convinced that the development team can do everything on their own and they do not seem to be interested to push the application forward.

just my personal comments

Archived