• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Attributes System

Mark Evans

First off, I think the stock issue is important, but problematic.

what happens if you sell sirts, you have S,M,L,XL, in red, blue and green.

How do you then manage the stock? you'll have to make a two dimentional array in order to handle it (3 yellow L, 2 green XL, 5 white S, and so on...) I think the master product contributions could come in handy here - create a master product (shirt) with salves (one for each size) and assign them attributes (for the colors).

Now, What I think is needed (or would be nice to have) in the attributes section is:

1. configure product attributes in admin/categories.php

2. allow attribute type (radio/ checkbox, etc.)

3. very important: modify the whole Option-Value_attribute interface. What I envision is something like this: (bear with me)

When you click on admin/products_attributes.php you are brought to a page that lists all the Options (size, color, etc.), where the first one (alphabetically, whatever) is highlited, and only it's Values are visible in the Values part of the page (could be where it is now...). in the Values table, you don't need the "Option Name" column, because you're only seeing those values of the selected Option.

Below these two tables is another table, which lists all the products that have this Option. One row per product. below the list is another row with a dropdown list of all the other products, and a button to add this product to the list. Clicking on a product in this list will open a sub-table under the item (javascript, reload the page, whatever...) with all the Values of this Option. on each row of this sub-table you'll have two radio buttons, to activate or diactivate the Value, and a textbox for added price (and added wheight, if we go there).

This view will clear all the clutter on this page, make it narrower (someone said even hi-res screens couldn't handle it the way it is), and make adding attributes far more intuitive.

That's it for now,

-Ethan

I would also like to see this available. I would like to be able to allow the customer to choose the make of car they have and the model without showing every kind of model from the other makes.

QTPro has an option for sequenced dropdowns. This would have the effect you are looking for. But your stock qty would be placed into a different table if you implement QTPro, as its main objective is to track quantity of attribute combinations.

If the attributes where dynamic it would be grate. Like you have Red Blue and Green But green you dont have XL

So the user has to pick the color first then the drop down for size shows up and only has Large and Small

like this demo http://www.plus2net.com/php_tutorial/dd.php

Would QTPro work?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Allow the addition of attributes on the product input page (aka "alternative attribute handling" I think).... or rework it somewhat to alllow multiple additons at one time (rather than add each option/attribute individually as it is in standard osC).

This would be awesome! Its so time consuming if you have to add 25 flavors to a product, and the system now is awkward, scrolling all over the screen to add 1 attribute.

• 2 weeks later...
If the attributes where dynamic it would be grate. Like you have Red Blue and Green But green you dont have XL

So the user has to pick the color first then the drop down for size shows up and only has Large and Small

like this demo http://www.plus2net.com/php_tutorial/dd.php

Would QTPro work?

This idea is *exactly* what i've been searching for - does anyone know if there a contrib offering such means as described above and another way to put it is like this:

> You select a Product from an image

> You select a color from a pre-populated selection option in dB which dynamically pulls up the next attribute such as sizes

> You select a size from a pre-populated selection option in dB

> Then this screen allows ordering of multiple quantities of sizes

Basically would be a cascading attribute selection process. Anyone seen this or know a good base to do a mod on it?

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is aimed to discuss the attibutes system available in osCommerce.

This area has not been touched for a long time and is in need of an upgrade.

Please post what you would like to see with the attrributes system here.

Any posts unreleated to the attributes system are likely to be removed.

Thanks

The most important one for us would be a better way to handle quantity discounts.

A module to add a small order charge based on group membership would be handy.

The ability to determine the order of display of items in a category would be nice. (Other than just asc or des based on alphabet)

As mentioned many times before, inventory control based on attributes.

Hi

I am a newbie to web design.

In my store I sell more than 10 types of products. Each one has got their specific group of attributes. I saw on the OS Commerce web about attributes group. But in my admin area I don't see attribute group column. Could you please help me to solve the problem.

Thanks,

NSAF

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well seeing as this is supposed to be rolled out for 3 alpha 5 I guess I better get my 2¢ in now... model #'s, weight, stock.. all of that is needed and I'm in complete agreement.

We all know the product attribute system is mucked up. It is functional at best and works great for a store that sells 4 products with a few options. I personally would like to see the creation of a product class that took care of handling this. So that real products could be applied to another product as an option and thus taking advantage of all the fields available to the products table.

I would love to see something like this implemented:

http://www.lumens.com/lumens/product.asp?d...AAAAANDBPDELLCF

The sku/upc/model # (whatever) gets updated depending on the option you select. I addition, what would even better would be the selection of the top tier attribute causing the subsequent tiers to no longer be offered. I.e. T-SHIRT-RED-XXXL is not offered but T-SHIRT-BLUE-XXXL is.

Hi,

I need some help on moving the Products Attributes drop down menu to the top of the page at the moment it is at the bottom of page, and also making the text and the size of the Products Attributes drop down menu a little larger even give it a bit of colour, can somone send me a code snipet please and also where on the relevent file it needs to be changed,

Also if anyone has got a good contribution for the Products Attributes drop down menu, i would be greateful if you could added it to the contributions or even send me a zip file of it,

i have already checked the contributions for a good feature for the Products Attributes drop down menu, but there is nothing there.

Thanks

saj

also posted in Tips and Tricks forum

Hi all.

I have serious doubt with the entire attributes system.

in my shop, each product has about 25 attributes. Some of them have up to 30 options (i am not creazy, i am selling prescription lenses!)

Now, because the system the way it is now make me save EACH option for EACH attributes for EACH product, my attributes table has about 260 options for each product. is already about to blow.

according to my understanding of the problem, i should build a template of attributues(and related options) then apply it to the selected articles.

so i shouldnt have a product_to_attributesOptions any more, but a product_to_template only.

when i display product_info.php i should load all the information related to the product + all the attributes in the linked template. thats it.

I am wrong? am i missing any important information in my logic?

please advice on this. Please let me know if any one has worked on this before.

thanks

Expresionario.com | Pura Sub-cultura!

Don't know if the sorting of the attributes on product pages have been mentioned, but it's a major problem, and should be adressed...

Preferably a simple and quick solution like this guy, I've been searching this forum for days now, and finally stumbled on the solution....

Check it out here, should be standard if you ask me!

I have started updating the attributes section and currently supports images and xajax to show option values based on option selected. The next thing I will be working on is the abiltiy to set option display order so you can have the display logically shown to the client. When all is done I will post it to the contrib. If you would like to see what I have so far I can package it up and email it to you just drop me a line at [email protected]. The site this is currently implimented for is www.babysoftusa.com

sorry i posted this else where by mistake,, it should have been in this forum

Hi,

I think i may have found a major issue/problem with the attributes system, there is no disable option for a product attribute option, however if i try to delete the attribute option it will not let me delete it if a customer has and item already pending in an order, which has not been sent out,

i have installed the attributes options as images contibution (i don't this has anything to do with the current problem), and works great, the problem i have now is that a customer has bought an item, and has selected the colour "red" from the attribute options, Now the suppliers have discontinued that colour temporaliy, but i can not disable "Red" for now, or even delete it, when i try it tells me that:- This option has products and values linked to it - it is not safe to delete it. even still does not give me a delete option. (because it has been selected and in a pending order)

it would be nice to be able Disable a product attribute option. it would make this system more flexable,

if there is any contributions out there that can tale care of this situation i would love to hear about it.

Thanks All

saj

• 5 weeks later...
How about initial option selection via radio buttons leading to further option selections, where multiple selction options are required.

Hi,

:thumbsup:

That's Great !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm REALLY NEED to have in my Product info.

I've tried but i couldn't. :(

I want to make user optional pull down lists. I added 6 attributes. But only one of attributes' value must be passed.

For example, when user click one attibute, other attribures' pull down lists must be disable in order to pass only one attribute's value.

(sorry for my english is bad, i try to explain and my idea may be not good too)

=========================

Here is code i test in HTML_output.php

=========================

function tep_draw_pull_down_menu_attributes($name, $values, $default = '', $parameters = '', $required = false) {

$field = '<select name="' . tep_output_string($name) . '"'. 'onChange()="' . check_click();

if (tep_not_null($parameters)) $field .= ' ' . $parameters;

$field .= '>';

if (empty($default) && isset($GLOBALS[$name]))

$default = stripslashes($GLOBALS[$name]);

for ($i=0, $n=sizeof($values); $i<$n; $i++) {

$field .= '<option value="' . tep_output_string($values[$i]['id']) . '"';

if ($default == $values[$i]['id']) {

$field .= ' SELECTED';

}

$field .= '>' . tep_output_string($values[$i]['text'], array('"' => '"', '\'' => ''', '<' => '<', '>' => '>')) . '</option>';

}

$field .= '</select>';

if ($required == true) $field .= TEXT_FIELD_REQUIRED;

return $field;

}

function check_click()

{

echo "testing......" ;

}

=====================

In product info I call this function,

=====================

<?php

echo tep_draw_pull_down_menu_attributes('id[' . $products_options_name['products_options_id'] . ']', $products_options_array, $selected_attribute). '<br>' . '';

?>

========================

I want user click value (only one value)

========================

Please advice on it . If any one already tried out this please let me know.

Thanks all.

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to suggest this type of attribute system for being best for products with few only a few options. It is somewhat similar to ZenCart; except not as clumsy. Notice how there are no dropdown menu's.

attribute-for-color.jpg

You can change to any of the three colors by pressing a checkbox or an arrow (the checkboxes update when you press an arrow). The redundancy between the two makes the site easy to use for even the most daft computer users.

Personally, I believe this type of system for selecting colors is at least a generation ahead of most e-commerce sites. It is completely superior from an usability standpoint. If you would like to read indepth elaboration supporting this claim, as well as see some industry research on usability; please check out this earlier post.

Best Regards,

Victor Wise

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone i am not sure if i am posting this to the right topic (forgive me if i am)

in shopping_cart.php

there is an array that shows user attribute input, if your product has 2 text inputs , the shopping cart contents will show 2 text lines what ever the user wrote

Line 1:AAA

Line 2:BBB

$products[$i][$option]['products_options_values_name']

I am sure that the line above is responsible for it.

This is what i am trying to do, i would like to separate the array, manualy or call on specific input field

e.g.

$products[$i][$option=9]['products_options_values_name'] or something like this obviously this does not work

where the result is AAA

I hope i explained myself correctly, ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRICIATED

• 1 month later...

I would like to see more than just the product name in the Products Attributes drop down boxes... I have products named the same but in other catagories... in this drop down box I don't know which one is which unles I were to put the catagory name in with the product name :huh:

Hi, newbie to the forum here so please be gentle, I have done the usual searches and have been sunk by the number of articles I got back, this one covers what I am looking for but having gone through it I think either the answer I am looking for has been lost in the debate or isn't here, so forgive me if I have missed it.

Harald on the first page of the thread had some links to some admin pages in particular the attributes page and the images show a nice tabbed setup which looks nothing like what I see in my admin system, I still see the 3 tables that someone else referred to.

I downloaded the 2.2 version again and checked the php on my server with those pages and they look identical, so is there a new admin system available that looks like the ones in Haralds images or is that in a later version not released yet?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice

• 4 months later...

Hi

I would really really like to have the length X width option so that a customer can type xx.xx cm length and width and get the price calculated by length X width X (price pr. square cm).

I know several users have asked for it through time in here.

Jorgen

• 4 months later...

Hi, I have a problem with my attributes section. I cannnot seem to scroll to next page, therefore I cannot see all of my products. Can you help?

• 2 weeks later...

HI, I know for me an attribute text box would be extremely handy. I sell farm supplies including cattle identification tags. These tags would all be identical except for the number. This would be an option I would like to let the customer type in. There wouldn't have to be a change in price or anything. I haven't had any luck finding an addon like this yet, but maybe I missed it.

• 1 year later...

Can you suggest a mod for product attributes that

1. have checkboxes vertical list

2. you can select multiple on one attributes

3. the price is added to the main price

i also instaled Product Attributes Check box but its not working for multiple checks. and the price dont add to the final price..

even better if i can link the products to another products like i was selling cameras and i can link the memory cards there then i can have check box for the products and when you check out all will be in your cart..

i have tried optional related products but it dont have any check box..

Archived