• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Attributes System

Mark Evans

Ok. I'm new to templates and previously used a self-developed site with FrontPage. I am trying to use the product attributes and have setup an option for size, option values for Small, Medium, Large, etc. Then, for every style shirt, I am making a product attribute for each product (shirt style) and for each size. So, for each product, I am making 3 product attributes (S,M,L). This is going to take me forever with all the different style shirts, jeans, footwear, etc. Is there an easier way? If not, there should be! HELP!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi there,

simple goto ur webserver PHPMyAdmin then select ur database, then click sql

write following code (complete code-sql statement) in the text box and

execute (Goooooooooooooo)

ALTER TABLE `products_attributes`

ADD `options_values_weight` DECIMAL (5,3) DEFAULT '0.000' NOT NULL;

Purpose: This query increase an filed named 'options_value_weight' to ur product_attributes table. got it ?

Best Regard

Shahid Naeem

I am still a newbie, so please excuse my ignorance. I've installed this wonderful contribution for adding extra weight, but don't know where to place the text listed in the installation instructions: ALTER TABLE `products_attributes`

ADD `options_values_weight` DECIMAL (5,3) DEFAULT '0.000' NOT NULL;

I tried to add this:

`options_values_weight` DECIMAL (5,3) DEFAULT '0.000' NOT NULL;

and got an error. Please detail exactly which file to add this to and where, and whether I have to delete any existing text. Thank you for your help.

Lorie

I need to sort my attributes alphabetic by name. I don't care what the key assigned is and it is making my site very difficult to work with the drop down boxes because they are not in alphabetical order. That would be greatly helpful.

Go to the contributions section and look up attribute sort. There you will find the contribution to sort the attributes alphabetically. Someone was very nice and wrote the line of code I that was needed for that.

Hi,

I am looking for an attributes system that doesn't only have stock and SKU for each attributes combination, but also gives the possibility to activate "allowing checkout when out of stock" by article. The contribution "QTPro" offers stock checking on the attributes but it's not configurable by article.

The reason why we need it, is that we run a shop with shoes in many heels, sizes & fittings. Some of them are coming in from the supplier within a few days and orders can be accepted when the size is out of stock. But other styles are discontinued and we can only sell what is in stock.

Thomas

• 5 weeks later...
Have you found a solution

Is there a way I can make the options available for a product attribute variable according to the previous product attribute option chosen ? this would remove the request for 5xl child shirt?!

I would also like to see this available. I would like to be able to allow the customer to choose the make of car they have and the model without showing every kind of model from the other makes.

One thing I am trying to implement in my site is weight for attribute combinations. >_<

I have QTPro installed and I really like the way it adds a stock number to the combination of attributes.

Say you have an item that comes in Size:(3", 4", 7"); Material:(Plastic, Glass, Steel);

As it stands right now, you would need to have three items each with three attributes because each combination of size/material would have it's own weight. You could use the attributes weight mod, but to figure out how much weight to add for each attribute while taking the complimenting attribute into consideration would be a nightmare. :blink:

It would be nice to be able to have the item on one page/record with the correct weight being applied as the customer selects an attribute from each group...

...While we are on the subject of attribute combining, the same type of implementation for images and pricing would be nice. Set up an attribute combination as QTPro does - then for each, set a flat price, an image and a weight.

The whole philosophy is centered around the ease of browsing for the customer. :)

I would also like to see this available. I would like to be able to allow the customer to choose the make of car they have and the model without showing every kind of model from the other makes.

QTPro has an option for sequenced dropdowns. This would have the effect you are looking for. But your stock qty would be placed into a different table if you implement QTPro, as its main objective is to track quantity of attribute combinations.

When I choose one attribute of a product in the catalog, I want it to automatically pull up sub-options for that attribute with sub-attributes, if that makes any sense. I don't want those sub-options to be viewable or selectable until the customer chooses that specific attribute. Is there an explainable way to do that? :huh:

Thanks so much!

Leighton

OK let me clarify...I already have QTPro installed, but I don't need or want it to determine by stock what sub-options are displayed. With each main option, each sub-option gets more expensive, so as a result, I have to add each sub-option as many times as the main option changes, but with a different price. I need something that can be reselectable and repriceable every time the main option is changed.

Thanks!

Leighton

I think you have to look at the best to see what?s good and what works. Victoria's Secret doesn't only have the most beautiful woman in the world showing the sexiest outfits on their website, they also have a pretty nice, well built, good looking website/ store. Would something like this be possible with OSC? I think so...

Have a look at how the end-user experiences their attribute system.

On the link provided beneath, a page is shown where the end-user can preview the fabrics by rolling-over the little thumbnails. It's look really good.

Victoria's Secret Attributes Roll-Over-Pop-Up #1

Victoria's Secret Attributes Roll-Over-Pop-Up #2

Also other aspects of this website would be a good inspiration for OSC-developers to improve OSC.

For example, take a look at the way products are listed (listing of products),

the way the product detail page is shown (picture on the left side and the info on the right :product detail page),

using a introduction picture as main page for every main category (on the top of the page click on the main menu items: bras, panties, sleepwear, etc).

And more.

Brows the site and not only have a great excuse to stare at the beautiful woman but also see how a web store with millions of turnover works, looks and feels.

Also take a look at ASOS.COM.

Also a very succesfull webstore that look nice. Take a look at the way a picture is enlarged. Click here, then click on the image to enlarge, then click on the link "Click here to zoom in on this image" and move your mouse over the thumbnail. Cool right?

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is aimed to discuss the attibutes system available in osCommerce.

This area has not been touched for a long time and is in need of an upgrade.

Please post what you would like to see with the attrributes system here.

Any posts unreleated to the attributes system are likely to be removed.

Thanks

I love osCommerce with the exception of the product attributes. They are by far the worst. It is nearly impossible to keep track of which product you are applying attributes to when you have many products. Then there's the issue of the attributes themselves. Clothing for instance, has many many different attributes. Size, color etc. If you have one product with several attributes it could take forver to get it done. There need to be a way to select one product and apply all attributes at once. Not one product line by line, then one attribute at a time. The best product attribute that I've seen is Digishop. I hope that osCommerce looks at Digishop.summeffect.com for help with this. I had to dump osCommerce because of their troubling product attributes.

I have a major problem. I put in all my attributes and when an order is placed the email I receive doesn't show what attributes are chosen. This is a huge problem because I have no way of knowing what people order because my attributes are for color and fragrance and without that information I can't fill the order. Is there a fix for this???

Does anyone know how to fix this? I have the same problem I think. when you click on the "add to cart" button (in Interenet Explorer), it does not record the product options. It works in Firefox. any suggestions? Also, it would be great if they could also select the options when they get to the checkout screen because they may not realize that they need to choose...

• 1 month later...

Another option I'd like to see, that I've not found a CONTIB for, yet, is the ability to change the image/thumbnail associated with a product when a specific attribute is selected. I make wood pens on a lathe, and the type of wood is set up as an attribute. I have images of all my stock in each of the available woods, so would like to be able to display an image of an actual pen when that wood is selected. That way the customer won't have to guess what the wood looks like, and maybe select something they don't really like. If this has already been done, could you please email me the solution?

thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
When I choose one attribute of a product in the catalog, I want it to automatically pull up sub-options for that attribute with sub-attributes, if that makes any sense. I don't want those sub-options to be viewable or selectable until the customer chooses that specific attribute. Is there an explainable way to do that? :huh:

Thanks so much!

Leighton

I have the same problem. For example, if the customer selects an optional logo, they need to then select the color of that logo; and, if they select an embroidered monogram, they need to select the color of the embroidery and also input the letters for the monogram in a text box.

I found 1 contrib which will give me the text box. I seem to remember seeing something in the forums or contributions regarding options for options; but I can't find it now.

• 1 month later...

I still couldn't find the contribution to move attributes' selection to the cart.

We sell videoprograms, well, DVD, VHS and CDAudio (our programs are lecture-type things) - those are set by attributes. Well, just imagine if a person wants to by 20 lectures on some topic!

When we add attributes, the client can't just click on the category name and put it to cart, now instead of quantity I have "More..." link to the description of the product with attributes choice.

It would be nice to have an option to more selection to the cart. Now the person will just add 20 lectures to the cart, and then on check out on one screen will just go through pulldowns (checkmarks with the filed for quantity would be even better) and make selection of the media he needs. Much faster and usable.

I still couldn't find the contribution to move attributes' selection to the cart.

We sell videoprograms, well, DVD, VHS and CDAudio (our programs are lecture-type things) - those are set by attributes. Well, just imagine if a person wants to by 20 lectures on some topic!

When we add attributes, the client can't just click on the category name and put it to cart, now instead of quantity I have "More..." link to the description of the product with attributes choice.

It would be nice to have an option to more selection to the cart. Now the person will just add 20 lectures to the cart, and then on check out on one screen will just go through pulldowns (checkmarks with the filed for quantity would be even better) and make selection of the media he needs. Much faster and usable.

Did let me edit it for some reason... Here's what I wanted to add...

I'm sorry if it's not clear. English is not my native language, but I am ready to answer questions to see this contribution coming! Thanks a LOT!

I would like to be able to set up attributes so that the option chosen by customer for one attribute would affect the list of options for the next. For instance in a teeshirt shop where all designs were available in male and female designs the first option would be male/female and depending on which was selected the next list would contain either male or female sizes.

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to see a way that multiple retail stores could add product to the

unified osc store and earmark it with their store code

IE

In inventory we have a DVD of Alients versus predator

but it is not available at our main webstore it is at one of our retail stores (which one imparticular?)

Well store #23 to be exact, so if we check a database it will say we have the dvd, or the dvd needs to ship from store #23

Any ideas?

Mucho Gracias

Jon

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is aimed to discuss the attibutes system available in osCommerce.

This area has not been touched for a long time and is in need of an upgrade.

Please post what you would like to see with the attrributes system here.

Any posts unreleated to the attributes system are likely to be removed.

Thanks

Hi, I sell products that would require customers to send me images, is there a contribution that would allow me to have an "upload image" option to the attributes so when a customer is ordering they have the option to upload the image Via Website?

thanx in advance.......Chad :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Attributes are the most annoying thing about OSCommerce that I've come across in the past couple of years. I'm actually considering trying out other platforms for my next client because of this.

I need an easy way to set the order of product attributes. The system adds my first couple of attributes and displays them in reverse order, so what I added last shows up first. Ok, fine, I re-enter my values. Then I realize that as I enter my fourth attribute, it automatically rearranges the previous three into a new order, seemingly at random. Of course, this means that I now have no way to determine the order in which attributes are shown on the site, since it seems determined to show them in whatever random order it feels like.

Searching for answers here leads me to problems with the attributes function, including two posts that said attribute information wasn't passed on in the order info for customers using IE. No response to either post. This is worrying.

I'm forced to conclude that I'm going to kludge a solution this time, and look to other packages for more robust ecommerce implementations in the future.

Any suggestions, either for other packages, or for ways to make this work with OSCommerce?

Thanks,

Dave.

• 1 month later...

Hi

thanks for the great stuff, !

The attribtes pricing , I would like to be able to add the direct price and not the + / - on the basic price,

if you re cheapest was say 2.35 and the next was 3.97 , you have to keep working out the difference.

I can see the advantages if you want to increase the price of all by just changing one base price but what if the price does not change for some or the ratio between price change is different, perhaps have the option of the choice of direct input into price or 'flow effect'

perhaps there is a module for this that I have not found yet,?

just a thought ,

russell

Rusty

-------------------------------------------

• 3 weeks later...
Attributes are the most annoying thing about OSCommerce that I've come across in the past couple of years. I'm actually considering trying out other platforms for my next client because of this.

I need an easy way to set the order of product attributes. The system adds my first couple of attributes and displays them in reverse order, so what I added last shows up first. Ok, fine, I re-enter my values. Then I realize that as I enter my fourth attribute, it automatically rearranges the previous three into a new order, seemingly at random. Of course, this means that I now have no way to determine the order in which attributes are shown on the site, since it seems determined to show them in whatever random order it feels like.

Searching for answers here leads me to problems with the attributes function, including two posts that said attribute information wasn't passed on in the order info for customers using IE. No response to either post. This is worrying.

I'm forced to conclude that I'm going to kludge a solution this time, and look to other packages for more robust ecommerce implementations in the future.

Any suggestions, either for other packages, or for ways to make this work with OSCommerce?

Thanks,

Dave.

Dave,

Did you get any resolution to this problem? I have the exact same issue and unfortunately might be a show stopper for my osCommerce pkg. I'm still searching for a resolution. Let me know if you've had any luck.

Thanks in Advance.

Ren

Archived