• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

What credit card processor - Paypal?

Kickn

I know this is probably a very noob'ish question but I think in this case I'm willing to risk a bit of RTFM and just ask. Okay so...I've just set up a new store and wanted to allow credit card processing. I wanted to use paypal but noticed that the default module shows up as paypal - when I went and looked through the contributions I noticed that there are many papal related things. What is the best option for simple credit card transations using paypal? Is there any?

Please point me in the right direction to a simple solution!

Okay - how about a quick answer - can paypal be used as a very simple credit card transaction processor without requiring the user to register for a paypal account?

If not - is there anything that will do this nice and simply without having to get a merchant account or cost my left kidney?

Okay - how about a quick answer - can paypal be used as a very simple credit card transaction processor without requiring the user to register for a paypal account?

If not - is there anything that will do this nice and simply without having to get a merchant account or cost my left kidney?

You cannot process credit cards either on or off line without a merchant account.

Without a merchant account you dont get paid.

If you are already an off-line merchant you can use a plug in that collects the card data for you to phone through to your merchant account off-line.

This way you do not have to suffer the secondary tier of charges for transacting on-line; which is expensive !

I have had a PayPal account in addition to a standard merchant account through my bank for the last few years. I have to say, more people choose to pay through paypal and it makes having my merchant account pretty much a drain on my bank account. Now that paypal allows people to use their credit card to make payments without having to open an account, that is one more reason for me to cancel our merchant account. I don't have a store front...my sales are all through local home show type of events and my sales reps. And I take orders, custom make the products and then ship/deliver the orders...so even for local orders, I can just invoice them with paypal's email invoicing tool. It really depends on what suits your business the best, though.

Jenni

www.SparrowsNestOnline.com

I'll answer with exactly the opposite as Jenn. We use paypal in conjunction with a merchant account, and process several hundred orders per month. Only aobut 1 in 50 customers use paypal instead of the regular merchant account.

Not ot mention, before we got our merchant account, we received complaints every day (some of which I actually posted in these forums a year and a half ago) form people that did not like paypal, did not want to use paypal, or just didn't like being directed to a new site.

To use paypal, they don't *have* to sign up for a new account, but they do have to be redirected to paypal's site. Thats actually a pretty big deterent. I think if you do an analysis on your weblogs, you'll find that a large percentage of your sales will be lost after the cusotmer clicked onthe 'confirm' site, and were directed to paypal.

Merchant account are a slightly more expensive than paypal, but I wouldn't say that they cost an arm and a leg. You can geta merchant account and auth.net now for less than $100 up front, with fees as low as 2.25% + $.25 per and $30 a month. You also shouldn't have to pay any kind of 'installation fee' or 'set up' fee. Those are all reseller rip offs. If you look around, you can find one without these exorbant fees.

IN all, I'd recommend offering both, paypal as well as a traditional merchant acocunt to your customers.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

I'll answer with exactly the opposite as Jenn. We use paypal in conjunction with a merchant account, and process several hundred orders per month. Only aobut 1 in 50 customers use paypal instead of the regular merchant account.

Not ot mention, before we got our merchant account, we received complaints every day (some of which I actually posted in these forums a year and a half ago) form people that did not like paypal, did not want to use paypal, or just didn't like being directed to a new site.

To use paypal, they don't *have* to sign up for a new account, but they do have to be redirected to paypal's site. Thats actually a pretty big deterent. I think if you do an analysis on your weblogs, you'll find that a large percentage of your sales will be lost after the cusotmer clicked onthe 'confirm' site, and were directed to paypal.

Merchant account are a slightly more expensive than paypal, but I wouldn't say that they cost an arm and a leg. You can geta merchant account and auth.net now for less than $100 up front, with fees as low as 2.25% + $.25 per and $30 a month.  You also shouldn't have to pay any kind of 'installation fee' or 'set up' fee. Those are all reseller rip offs. If you look around, you can find one without these exorbant fees.

IN all, I'd recommend offering both, paypal as well as a traditional merchant acocunt to your customers.

Does this redirection even occur with PayPal's default setting of "PayPal Account Optional" ? I'm in the same boat exploring this right now. Assuming the redirection is not a showstopper, is all that's required to implement this is to have CC and PayPal modules installed in Payment modules ?

Yes, all customers will still be redirected to paypal to make payment, even with the default setting of "PayPal Account Optional". If the customer is going to pay with paypal, then you HAVE to redirect htem to paypal to make payment.

I would strongly advise against using the stock paypal module, becuase orders will not appear in OSC is the customer does not click the 'continue' button at paypal after making their payment. Instead, install the paypal ipn contribution.

As far as CC module, the default cc module is deisgned to work with an offline merchant account, where you manually collect the cc data, and enter it into your 'terminal'. With this method, the cusomter stays on your site.

S.ome of the other modules are build to use a 'gateway' such as authorize.net. You collect the data, and sent it to the gateway, and the merchant acocunt gets the money, and deposits it into your bank account. With these methods, the cusotmer stays on your site.

You cna use the last two in addition to the paypal module, os that you can give your cusotmers a choice, either they stay onyour site and give you their cc detials, or they can go to paypal and make payment to you.

Edited by wizardsandwars

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

A couple quick Q's as I look at this:

1. by auth.net I'm assuming you mean authorize.net?

2. What paypal contribution do you suggest? I installed the PayPal_Shopping_Cart_IPN 2.9 - is that the best one?

I'm still in the process of setting it up but still seem to get the 'login' page of paypal which indicates you need to register for an account - is there something i'm missing in the settings or on that page?

A couple quick Q's as I look at this:

1. by auth.net I'm assuming you mean authorize.net?

2. What paypal contribution do you suggest? I installed the PayPal_Shopping_Cart_IPN 2.9 - is that the best one?

I'm still in the process of setting it up but still seem to get the 'login' page of paypal which indicates you need to register for an account - is there something i'm missing in the settings or on that page?

1. Yes

2. Yes, I think there is an option button on the paypal page for customers that do not want to create an account. It's really not very intuitive. To my knowledge, though, there is no alternative.

Not being permitted to provide a commercial link on these forums, I would suggest using one of the authorized retailers.

http://www.authorize.net/reseller/directory.php

Im a noob as well and while im quite IT proficcient I know SFA about business accounts and running an online shop, Im uk based and was wondering can anyone here provide some info on the requirements for setting up a merchant account in the UK, hurdels, good suppliers of general tech products and any other info (at all)you think I might find usefull.

• 2 weeks later...
You cannot process credit cards either on or off line without a merchant account.

Without a merchant account you dont get paid.

Thats a partially false statement. Anyone can signup for a Propay.com account. They are an offline credit card processor which I've used with success.

• 4 years later...

Merchant account are a slightly more expensive than paypal, but I wouldn't say that they cost an arm and a leg. You can geta merchant account and auth.net now for less than $100 up front, with fees as low as 2.25% + $.25 per and $30 a month. You also shouldn't have to pay any kind of 'installation fee' or 'set up' fee. Those are all reseller rip offs. If you look around, you can find one without these exorbant fees.

I feel the same way. May I ask which module you use for your personal merchant billing?