• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Reviews System

Mark Evans

I dumped the whole reviews process entirely, and am using the Testimonials Manager contrib instead, on every site I've built. I and my clients are relatively low-volume sellers, and we do get opinions in emails but I found it hard to coax my clients back to the site, hunt for the item, and write in the kind opinion they'd already given me. It's easier for me to copy and paste the emails

Isn't that the true experience of majority of on line shops ? The best way is to ask onself if you have ever bothered to write areview unless you do that for a living.

IMHO Customer Action Shots in review pages may not increase sales, but will help customers to return as they can say something about themselves !

• 3 weeks later...

Even action shots.. One of the shops I built is costumes, and we get emails once in a while with a jpg attachment. I gave the store owner a simple html template and we add the photo to the testimonial. For myself, I added a horizontal line after each testimonial, and a note as to what the customer bought. I'd love it if I could make that a field that I could enter from the admin side- product ID that would give me a live link to the category.

psst... wanna buy a wand?

• 2 months later...

I have one great idea and i think it can benefit others if implemented or introduced by some great mind.

I personally feel that once customer has purchased a product then after few days if you request same customer for review then 98% customers do not like to login again and write review for the product they purchased.At first step this needs to be made convenient.

Is it possible to have a button in admin in order details of customer and you can call this button request a review.

On pressing this button an email should straight away be sent to customer with following details .

(1)A request message for review.

(2)Link to product he purchased.

(3)On reaching this product detail it will be better if not asked to login and customer could straight away write few sentences and submit it.

(4)It must be put to admin for approval.

I think it is possible and some one with php knowledge will come infront to contribute it.

Thanks and regards

Luqi

• 2 months later...
Also, the ability to provide reviews on the whole store.

ed

Wouldn't that simple be a testimonial... I mean if someone writes a bad review of your store I doubt you will want it on the site.

I have the Customers Testimonial contribution and when an customer e-mails me with something I could use as a testimonial I add it to my testimonials... I think currently I have 77 testimonials which I also use at random on various places on the site like the shopping cart screen.

Dan

Currently the MS2 reviews uses the customers first name and last name when they write a review. I think this scares away allot of customers from writing product reviews if they do not want their complete name posted on the review.

We had a customer with a website where one of his customers recently emailed him,p retty pissed off because their first and last name was being publically displayed on the product review.

As such we have altered our development version of oscommerce to only collect the first name of the person reviewing the product. I think this would be valuable to change to this permanently.

Or alternatively have the code only take the first initial of their last name so the review ends up reading as "by Bruce H." instead of full name.

Sincerely,

Bruce

19 contributions submitted

• 1 month later...

This was posted in another thread but I thought will get

the attention of everyone interested in improving the

Review system if posted in this thread.

+++++++++++++++++++++

By using a script (simple-upload-53.php) available from Hotscripts.com as an INCLUDE

file, I could get a file upload feature within the review write page.

It is now required to save the Image in the database ,perhaps by modifying

the product_review_write.php querry

CODE

tep_db_query("insert into " . TABLE_REVIEWS_DESCRIPTION . " (reviews_id, languages_id, reviews_text) values ('" . $insert_id . "', '" . $languages_id . "', '" . $HTTP_POST_VARS['review'] . "')");

and modifying the product_review_info.php to retrive it and present it with the reviews.

CODE

$reviews_query = tep_db_query("select rd.reviews_text, r.reviews_rating, r.reviews_id, r.products_id, r.customers_name, r.date_added, r.last_modified, r.reviews_read, p.products_id, pd.products_name, p.products_image from " . TABLE_REVIEWS . " r, " . TABLE_REVIEWS_DESCRIPTION . " rd left join " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " p on (r.products_id = p.products_id) left join " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_DESCRIPTION . " pd on (p.products_id = pd.products_id and pd.language_id = '". $languages_id . "') where r.reviews_id = '" . (int)$HTTP_GET_VARS['reviews_id'] . "' and r.reviews_id = rd.reviews_id and p.products_status = '1'");

if (!tep_db_num_rows($reviews_query)) tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_REVIEWS));

$reviews = tep_db_fetch_array($reviews_query);

I presume it can then be called like a thumb nail in to the review page using

something similar to

CODE

<td class="smallText" rowspan="3" align="center"><a href="java script:popupImageWindow('<?php echo tep_href_link(FILENAME_POPUP_IMAGE, 'pID=' . $reviews['products_id']); ?>')"><?php echo tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . $reviews['products_image'], $reviews['products_name'], SMALL_IMAGE_WIDTH, SMALL_IMAGE_HEIGHT, 'align="center" hspace="5" vspace="5"'); ?><br></a></td>

I am no way a php coder and am not sure about how this can be achieved.

Can anyone please help ? Please PM me if you need more info

• 5 months later...

Funny I was recently on thinkgeek and would love to implement the same action shots instead of reviews on my site.. I had changed the product pages to list any available reviews for that product.. rather than a seperate page.. but ideally id rather have a basic 5 star rating (i.e. media player-esque) complemented with action shots.. does anyone have a working link to this running on their osc site.. or any code.. (besides the hotscripts upload code listed..) should be enough to get started tho..

ill post my work as I go but collaboration is always faster..

and the faster i get rid of that awful stock review page the better..

i am a new oscommerce user...do i have to install anything to take advantage of the latest and greatest features available in the reviews system ?

• 2 months later...

I agree with Lugi - thats exactly what I am looking for and in all honesty I am very surprised that this has not already been implemented.

I have one great idea and i think it can benefit others if implemented or introduced by some great mind.

I personally feel that once customer has purchased a product then after few days if you request same customer for review then 98% customers do not like to login again and write review for the product they purchased.At first step this needs to be made convenient.

Is it possible to have a button in admin in order details of customer and you can call this button request a review.

On pressing this button an email should straight away be sent to customer with following details .

(1)A request message for review.

(2)Link to product he purchased.

(3)On reaching this product detail it will be better if not asked to login and customer could straight away write few sentences and submit it.

(4)It must be put to admin for approval.

I think it is possible and some one with php knowledge will come infront to contribute it.

Thanks and regards

Luqi

Lets see - maybe i can delelop something seeing it hasnt been done yet!

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

do i need to enable this system or something .. i cant see anywhere on my site where anyone can leave reviews.. i would love for all my customers to be able to leave reviews on products

• 2 months later...

The best way to get customer review’s is to ask for them. And the best time to ask them is in a transactional email in the post sales process (according to marketing Sherpa, transactional emails are read the most frequently by customers). This could be an email 10 days after the product was shipped, asking if they are satisfied with their purchase, and then providing a link to leave a review. The key is to automate the review collection process, and make it part of your sales process. Also, reviews are much more effective when they include a photo of your customer – so the option of uploading a picture should be included.

Chooch is programming a site for me right now that will take advantage of this type of review system – when its done I will report on its effectiveness and show off the site.

Best Regards,

Victor Wise

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hello,

One of my customers asked me to implement

oscommerce for his online store.

However, he wants the reviews box to take

people to a general reviews option, he means

that people will not be forced to leave

a review about the specifiic product but

about any topic, how the whole website looks,

for example, and all the reviews will appear

in the reviews page anyway, as it does right now.

I am working on it, do you have any comment about it?

Thanks,

Lito

Archived