• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Hoping for some suggestions...

Andrew Yuen

Please take a look at Nita Creations

(click on online store)

Nita Creations is an online jewelry store that I have been working on for some time. It is almost ready to be launched to the public.

Known issues:

-The blank box on the main page is for the bbb online reliability seal which I am awaiting to receive.

-My website is best viewed in IE cause it may not work in all browsers correctly.(the main page the store should work on all browsers)

-Slow on 56k. (I am using a modified thumbnail contribution)

Some Features:

-4000 loose diamond database updated weekly.

-shared store between diamond section and jewelry section.

-enhanced diamond search.

I have been working really hard to eliminate all possible bugs on the website.

Please let me know what you think. I am also looking for some suggestions to improve my google page rank. I have just recently created a related link sections.

Thanks go out to Peter and Emmett for their help :thumbsup:

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

Andrew Yuen

osCommerce, Community Team

I don't have my very, very long list that I gave you before, so you only get a short "NEW" list. I read your Gift Voucher FAQ but have one question, how do I buy a gift voucher????? In your left column do you think that "add to favorites" is more important than "search" or "information"?

Peter

If you still have the points I made PM them to me.

Thanks for the reply peter. I am not ready to post gift certificates yet so I am probably going to have to say that in gift certificate FAQ. I am mainly using that contribution for store credit. As for the orders I will change them.

Thanks again,

Andrew

Andrew Yuen

• 3 weeks later...

I am still looking for reviews or suggestions. So far I have got little input from the community??? Anyone have any suggestions for improving PR on google or just general comments on how to improve my site? I would really appreciate any comments.

Andrew Yuen

Hey AfterDark, I did ask Peter and he did provide me with lots of suggestions. The problem is he is the only one who has reviewed my site :-( That's why I was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions.

Andrew Yuen

I like the overall look of your store, very professional, well done. :thumbsup:

Installed Contributions: CCGV, Close Popup, Dynamic Meta Tags, Easy Populate, Froogle Data Feeder, Google Position, Infobox Header Entire Row, Live Support for OSC, PayPal Seal with CC images, Report_m Sales, Shop by Price Revised, SQL Updater, Who's Online Enhancement, Footer, GNA EP Assistant and still going.

You probably haven't gotten may replies because your site is pretty good, and not much wrong with it. ;)

However, I've found a couple things:

1) All your buttons seem to be cutoff a little at the bottom for some reason.

2) On the login screen, you should default to "No, I'm a new customer". Then, if someone types anything in the e-mail addr field, change the radio button to "Yes, I'm ..."

3) Install the contrib that populates the "State" field based on the country you choose. ....After I continue, then the State dropdown asks for a valid state but it should do this on the initial data entry screen.

4) If you enter a bogus Gift Voucher code there's no error message.

Everything else looks good!

Site is looking nice/finished but I have a few pet peefs:

1) the scrollbar is changed to very light grey but there is not enough contrast to see the actual bar (at leat not on my screen)

2) I personally find the template used a bit 'hard' for the diamond business. Like the square buttons on the top and the all caps straight font. This doesn't match with the fine juwelry italics in the banner.

I would soften up the template more.

Based on the template, my (gutt) feeling is that I'm at another cheap webhosting site as I've seen so many of them with a similar layout and style.

I was also wondering if you are fixed on the colors used in your logo (dark blue and goldish yellow) , and if you plan on having these colour touches recurring in your site. Again, if not, I personally like the lighter blue used for news box better. Also the blue box in the middle of the about us page, is again a different kind of blue.

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

Looks good apart from one thing.

On larger screens all that grey dominates and the site lacks the sparkle I would expect to see given the product. The grey is a bit depressing. No problem when viewed at 800 x 600.

I wonder if you would do something about that background colour - eg. bring it closer to silver.

Will look into changing the background color. ChrisW123, I changed all the buttons, installed the state contribution and got rid of all countries except US for we only take orders in the US, and fixed the error message for bogus gift vouchers. Anyone know how to change this for the amazon login contribution?

2) On the login screen, you should default to "No, I'm a new customer". Then, if someone types anything in the e-mail addr field, change the radio button to "Yes, I'm ..."

Thanks everyone,

Andrew

Andrew Yuen

• 3 months later...

I am going to revive this thread cause I got a chance to do a few updates and I am about to launch an ad campaign and fully open the store (finally after 2 years of development). OK I added a few 100 products, bringing the total up to 1000 products, and further optimized the store for speed using a custom thumbnail generator and improved the diamond search to not display the pictures. Added more contributions including a custom diamon hold modification. I am looking for final suggestions before I launch my ad campaign. Looking for some fresh reviews from new people for I have not been on the forums for awhile now, I just got the time to start working on the website again and participating in the forums :-)

Thanks everyone,

Andrew

Andrew Yuen

I have to say, the site is quite nice. The biggest problem I see with it is getting people to spend that much money online without actually seeing the product. These may be good deals, but I can't tell online. And I'm not about to spend that much money on a company that I have never heard of.

I like the use of flash. Very subtle, but effective. It makes it look professional, but isn't overwhelming.

How do I get the right size??? I see nothing about this. If I order a ring for my lady, where can I take the ring to get it sized correctly? Are there any dimond guarentees? Every time I buy jewelry for the lady, I get a guarentee on the dimonds that if they fall out, they will be replace for free. This is pretty standard of jewelers, and I see nothing about it on your site. If your going to get my business online your going to need to sweeten the pot a little over the obvious competition.

have you seen www.zales.com?

www.kay.com has a nice section about buying a dimond that you might want to think about adding.

Found a problem. I navigated through the site, and when I clicked on the home button, the banner didn't load. I hit refresh, and the banner still didn't load(using FireFox 1.0 Windows XP) even a ctrl+F5 woln't bring it back. You might want tol check on that. When spending that much money online, event the smallest bug is a deal breaker.

Overall, a very nice site but a very expensive site. I would recommend adding a search by price feature. Also you would benefit from a sort by price/quality/value feature. Showcase some of the cheaper peices. Most people that are looking to buy dimonds online aren't looking for that ultimate dimond, instead they are looking for a good deal without having to go out and put any effort into it.

Still great site! Keep up the good work, and best of luck to you.

osCommerce is a great piece of software with wonderful contributions.

Spend some time in the contribution area. There are a lot of gems there.

Probably the reason why you are receiving very little feedback is because people are jealous? Joking! :)

NO seriously the website is very nice. YOu have an optimal amount of wording on your site for google to pick you up which I see they already have with a pr2 rating.

I like many of the things you have done there. Can't complain about a thing but that's just my personal take on things.

S

• 8 months later...

Hi everyone,

First off I would like to thank everyone on the forums for their support/help. I am bringing up this old thread yet again because if I completely redesigned Nita Creations online store and website. I would really appreciate any new comments and suggestions. Here is a link to the store and to the diamond database.

Known issues:

The banners (to the right) on the main page do not go anywhere at the moment so please don't click them.

A few items in the store have a price of $0.00 and have broken images.

I am currenty working on a navigation bar that will link the store to the main site.

Other then that, if you have a store and you are interested in exchanging links with Nita Creations please let me know. You link will be posted here on our PR 4 page. I am looking for pages with a PR3 or higher to link back (will also consider PR2 websites).

Thanks for taking the time to read this thread again :D ,

Andrew

I have attached the original design below:

oldlayout.jpg

Andrew Yuen

I like your design. Nice, clean, consistent, and fits your product well. Very professional looking. As long as the links and technical foundation get worked out, it should be great. Of course I think the NFL jewelry is a bit silly but... maybe that's just me. :)

I probably shouldn't help on the page rank thing; I have 3 (and have no idea why I have 3), but ultimately our sites are in too different a genre I think. Customer bases aren't really the same.

Thanks for the info JCayote. I have fixed this issue "I am currenty working on a navigation bar that will link the store to the main site." As for the NFL jewelry, we will see how it goes. I have found some site just dedicated to that category alone which supprised even me :-)

Andrew Yuen

I am still looking for reviews or suggestions. So far I have got little input from the community??? Anyone have any suggestions for improving PR on google or just general comments on how to improve my site? I would really appreciate any comments.

Very nice layout etc. Maybe one day I'll be able to develop something like this. I would spend some time sharpinig your Header logo up, there is a fuzz about it which doesn't look proffesional like the rest of the site.

Cheers

Chris

Hi,

I just had a look at you site and I think it looks good - it's user friendly with good descriptions and good pictures, overall I think it will do well in the right target market. One thing - the grey coloured writting on the white is hard to read, change it to a darker colour.

In return I would really appreciate if I could get some feedback from you too -

My website has been running now for 3 months and has had thousands of unique visitors, but no one has ordered. Can you please give me any feedback of what you think about the products, prices, and the website in general, I would really appreciate it!!! The website is - www.naturalbodyskincare.com

Much Appreciated and Merry Christmas to You!

Cheers

Timon

Archived